Usually, I only make one post a week here at my photo blog, but this article made me smile...Around my town, there are not too many fresh water areas for local birds. We have water surrounding us...the river, the ponds here and there, and of course the Gulf of Mexico...but for the most part, fresh water and the wildlife that depends on it for survival, is scarce. The huge reservoir north of us, from where we get our drinking and watering supply, is now down to 43% capacity!! That means that with another few days of Summer heat and water evaporation, it will be down to 40% capacity, and that will constitute water restrictions for us residents.
PHOTOS taken: Lake View Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
respectively, Laughing Gulls [at park entrance], Cormorants [and turtle] and a Rock Pigeon
For this, I was happy to read earlier today that the city officials have taken it upon themselves, at one of the park lakes here, to help out some of the ducks, gulls, cormorants and other species of birds [and turtles --oh oh dare I add that alligators are seldom seen]. Even pigeons frequent this park [tho they're considered a nuisance to some, they still are birds, and help with our own ecosystem]. With the two year drought, and the devastating loss of the water levels at Lake View Park, enough people have shown their concern about the evaporation of the watering hole and the population of so many birds making use of the sight, that the city has proposed opening a pipe in the city water lines to refill the almost dry lake. Altho, with the drought, the water resources are precious right now...I still like the idea of keeping the lake from drying up and hoping for the best prospects of it getting refilled by rain water which doesn't promise to be happening in the near future; significant rainfall has been nil for months here. Oh we have had short lasting storms pass over a couple of times since last summer, but nothing that keeps everything replenished naturally. [I've added an "In the News" segment on my sidebar, which you can read partial articles I find worthy of sharing or just something I'm appreciative of with this photo blog and my interest in birding. Today, I added a snippet of the newscast from one of our local network stations - no infringement intended] I'm still considering myself on a blogging break with my personal blog, Hootin' Anni's, but I stopped my projects [genealogy and an art contest entry I'm working on diligently] long enough to make this post. I was thrilled to read something on a 'happier note' today.



thats good news...
ReplyDelete...isn't it?
DeleteIt gives me hope for the world to see people working together to help wildlife. Great story. :) Visiting from WBW.
ReplyDelete...hope Isaac isn't doing too much damage in your area!!!
DeleteThose Laughing Gulls are having a laugh because they are so incredibly beautiful and immaculate in their summer outfits - nice shots Anni. If its any consolation we had bans on hosepipes and water restrictions imposed in early 2012 and since then it's never stopped raining - honest.
ReplyDelete...so, can you possibly send some our way then?
DeleteSome areas are flooding and some are in drought - things sure are crazy in this country right now! Glad they are going to try to save the lake though...
ReplyDelete...me too, it made me feel good that the city would take the time and effort to help out some wildlife.
Deletei have been grateful that our area was doing much better than last year, but i know that is not true of all of texas.
ReplyDelete...I know, our son, living in Houston, ---they get rain. But no, not here. {{{sigh}}}
DeleteGlad to hear some good news. Some things are worth saving:)
ReplyDelete...glad you stopped by to read my 'happy note'.
DeleteGanz wundervolle und lustige Vögel.
ReplyDeleteLG Mathilda ♥
...thanks 'Tilda
DeleteIt is amazing to me that your municipality is thinking about wildlife ... up here (Midwest)they are busy paving everything over or making people parks that exclude the wildlife(and reduce their habitat). Nice to know there are still some good hearts out there. Love the pictures. Glad you took a break from your break to spread some cheer.
ReplyDeleteAndrea @ From The Sol
...glad you stopped by Andrea.
DeleteGood news for our avian friends!
ReplyDelete...isn't it? I loved reading this.
DeleteGreat shots, Anni! I particularly like the gulls! Love the black heads.
ReplyDelete...thanks Brian
DeleteGreat photos of the birds and nice to know your city authorities are paying attention to the needs of the wildlife.
ReplyDelete...yes, I agree. Too many times, the wildlife is last on the list of priorities.
DeleteThat is such heartening news! I wish the municipality where I live were this caring and aware about ecology! But you are right, sharing a good news is as important as creating awareness. Thank you for taking time for that.
ReplyDelete...sometimes, it boggles my mind, then I turn around and the city council will do something incredibly stupid....but this was a 'feel good story'.
DeleteNice photos and good news for the birds!
ReplyDeleteI like the photo with the cormorant and of course - the turtle (even if it's not a bird! :)
Greetings from Pia in Sweden
...thanks Pia
DeleteNice Cormorants. They always look pre-historic.
ReplyDelete...they do, don't they? Now that you mention it.
DeleteA wonderful post..
ReplyDelete...thanks Andrew
DeleteHi there - interesting post. A couple of years ago the catchments for Melbourne were down around 35% - I dont think I'll ever take tap water for granted again.
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M
I know just what you mean about 'lack of tap water'...it can be quite scary.
DeleteSorry about the delete, my fingers aren't typing properly this morning. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed this post. That's great news and such a nice one to read after all the goings on in the world. Thanks for sharing this. Enjoyed the pictures too.
ReplyDeleteNo problem...I just go into the admin and delete the 'deleted'. LOL
DeleteGlad you stopped by Denise.
...thanks Gary
ReplyDelete...no worries!! I see only one comment, and it's much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Annie. It's good to hear that your municipality recognizes the importance of protecting the lake for the sake of the wildlife. Kudos to the local politicians-sometimes they do get it!
ReplyDelete...ya, surprise, surprise....the council actually considered someone else besides making their pockets heavier....[well, you know what I mean]
DeleteNice pictures you show - I really liked the pictures of cormorant.
ReplyDeleteHanne Bente
...thanks Hanne. The cormorant is a favorite water bird of mine.
DeleteThese photos are awesome Anni. In the first photo why they stand up with just one leg? ^_^
ReplyDeleteWater World Wednesdsay
...I read somewhere that they do that to cool down. How I don't know...and I also don't know if that idea is just some scientific theory that is unproven.
DeleteIn Florida we seem to either have too much or too little water. Just when we think we have too much they lower Lake Okeechobee to allow for floods, and then we hit a dry cycle and wish we had that water. Illinois is now getting lots of rain, too late for the corn crop and now interfering with harvest activity. Will things ever settle down?
ReplyDelete...right about now, I would LIKE too much water...not flooding my house tho. LOL
DeleteWhen the community comes together, it is always a happy note! Good luck in your new ventures!
ReplyDelete...thank you kindly!!!
DeleteI'm surprised the water goes that low before you have water restrictions. Where I live we are surrounded by water and no matter what we have water restrictions between May 15 and September 15.
ReplyDelete...actually, I think that's a good idea.
DeleteI am glad someone is looking after the wildlife great photos.
ReplyDeleteGlad someone is looking after the wildlife. Great photos.
ReplyDelete...it seems so encouraging to me!!
DeleteLovely photos! You are doing a great job!
ReplyDelete...thank you Hans...that means a lot to me!!
Deletelol. Great ones. :)
ReplyDeleteCan I interest you for this weeks NF Waters? I have one you know. And a "NF Winged" too in the same blog.
http://nfmemes.blogspot.se/2012/09/nf-waters-38-on-cliff-in-ocean.html