A week of 'firsts' - -


For this past week, at least for me, it's been filled with a lot of 'firsts' for my birding addiction interests. Last Sunday Bud and I joined in on the Audubon's Bird Walk at a local park. I wanted to see what they were like, and hoping I would get a bit more education on how to spot a more eclectic count on birds as we strolled through all the tree covered land in mid town Corpus Christi. I was more than happy to sign in and register so the Society can get more wild bird funding from the city. The more people attending, the more funds and awareness. In all honesty, the walk was just mediocre. I wasn't all that impressed with the 'experts'. I'd much rather walk in smaller groups and not talk so loudly. I've mentioned that before, the quieter we humans are the less frightened away are the birds. And they remained, chattering and laughing and scoping out the same area far too long; more birds were singing off in the distance. LOL   But, it was something I was interested in seeing for myself. I've always, more or less, been self-taught when it comes to extracurricular activities and interests, and I think my style just isn't ready to change. I'm set in my ways, and I like to be stealthy when birding, and listening to their calls; locating them...not there to chit chat.  This outing was probably a first and ONLY one.  Migration is so cool!!! The array of birds is exceptional right now. Bud and I hit many different areas that are within a short driving distance and spotted so many different birds, and I was able to capture them through the viewfinder!! Some good, some not so good...there were some birds we spotted through the binoculars that just wouldn't cooperate and show us their faces. Mostly the back side -- especially the first ever spotted by the two of us: The Rose Breasted Grosbeak. I got 3 pictures...but it was hidden so much in a tree top, the images are  not that good. I'm gonna keep trying for better. [I may have to resort later to showing the ones I got tho] Among many more that I won't show n tell about 'til another time, are the white tailed hawk, the hooded warbler, the swainson's thrush, a beautiful wonderful male indigo bunting, one yet to be identified, and more. But this weekend the ones I will share are again all 'firsts' for me.

1- I have only seen hummingbirds nesting in pictures...like National Geographic and Birds and Blooms magazines. This week, walking back to the car after checking out the bays for waterfowl, I spied a humming bird zipping through the tree just feet away from our car. I happened to stop and watch it while Bud was putting the binoculars and bug spray back in the trunk. It landed in a NEST!!! So, I took aim and got several images of which I'll share three:



...from About.com this is stated:
Hummingbird Nest Construction

Hummingbird nests are built entirely by the female bird – male hummingbirds do not have any part in raising chicks once the initial act of copulation is complete. The female, however, will spend several hours a day for 5-7 days collecting materials to build her nest. The most common nesting materials found in hummingbird nests include:
Moss and lichen
Plant down from thistles, dandelions or cattails
Spider silk
Cotton fibers
Small bits of bark or leaves
Feathers
Fuzz or hairs from leaves
These materials are woven together into a dense cup that is frequently decorated with moss, lichen or other materials for camouflage. The edge of the cup is curved inward to protect the eggs from tipping out in high winds, and the spider silk used to bind the nest together gives it elasticity to enlarge as the hatchlings grow. Exact nest dimensions vary depending on the species of hummingbird and the materials used to create the nest, but most hummingbird nests are 1.5 inches in diameter, or roughly the size of a walnut or golf ball.

RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
[female]
photos taken: Hans Suter Nature Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:


2- My next 'frist' is something that put me in awe. Oh, I've seen the apartment complexes jutting high up many feet into the air... several times before, but NEVER having any residents!! This past week, I spotted Purple Martins busy ON nests and flitting around inside and outside the complex!



PURPLE MARTIN
photos taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:




3-  As we were walking the pathway to reach Paradise Pond, in Port Aransas, Texas, Bud spotted this lovely creature on the ground!! A Yellowthroat. Another 'first' to be seen and photographed by us---
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT
photo taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range:



4-  Now this next one, I've seen before, but at times I've not had a camera on my neck and primed and ready for a feast of color!!  My first photo of a Summer Tanager...

SUMMER TANAGER
photo taken: Leona Turnbill Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range:



5-  ...and last for the week, I must say this bird has been on my 'to spot and hopefully get images of it' list for a couple of years now, and to no avail. While we were home, sitting at the dining room table playing gin of all things, I looked out the window as Bud was shuffling the cards for the next hand dealt, and to my surprise and utter delight, the handsome fellow was on the ground by the larger feeder [and I have suet cakes chained to the feeder stakes also]...he was just a'scurrying here and there. I knew I couldn't possibly get the back patio door open with any luck having him stick around for a photo shoot. So, I loaded the battery in the camera and shot these photos through the hurricane shutter slats and window and screening! They're a bit blurred, but I finally saw a Painted Bunting!!

PAINTED BUNTING
photos taken: Backyard - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:





Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.





27 comments:

  1. What a great group of colorful birds! Congratulations on the firsts. And a hummingbird on the nest...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni I admire your tenacity and also I have to agree with your summing up of birding in groups or gangs. It doesn't work - too much noise, too much socialising instead of birding. Plenty of time for socialising when you've seen the birds and packed your bins away for the day. Your persistence paid off in finding the hummer nest and I'm blown away by the Painted Bunting - what a name, what a bird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to see a hummingbird nest ... something I would love to see. You captured some amazing photos this week. First are lovely aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the yellowthroat and the tanager! so cool to see a hummingbird nesting, too. i can't wait for the buntings to return here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, gorgeous birds, and the last one is so very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That painted bunting is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not good with groups like this either! I'm not the tour group type! I find it distracting and detracts from the atmosphere of a place! Love this series of photos! Especially love the vibrant colours of the bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Anni, so many of my favorite birds. Love the sweet hummer on the nest! Every shot is awesome. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Anni, for inviting my post to be linked here. Your photos are superb, how i wish i have birding lenses to also capture those around our area. But that may come in a long time yet, for now i content myself with the good birders like you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome! I've never found a hummingbird nest! The Tanager and Bunting are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic variety of the most beautiful birds Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh MY!!!! Your best birding post EVER! A hummer in her little tiny nest!!! And what an awesome Painted Bunting, I think we only have the blue ones here. The summer tanager and the Yelowthroat, none around here. We DO have the Purple Martin, but I have trouble identifying them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful birds! Thanks for inviting me to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are amazing! And the info you provide is excellent too. Thanks.
    Please do carry on with the gin rummy. It seems to be good for your blog posts.....
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I´ve seen a hummingbird nest once. In CostaRica. Not the same species but the nest was similar. Very beautiful, almost liek art. :) Thanks for sharing and for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not been able to capture any of our feathered friends in the past few weeks. My outings have been of short duration and I am not carrying my camera with me as I usually do. I have my phone, but I have a hard time capturing the birds with it. I miss participating in the D'Pot, but wanted to stop by and see what birds everyone is seeing lately.
    I have never seen a Humming Bird's nest. I have seen them at my feeders and sitting on tree branches, but have not seen their nest. I am glad you were able to capture them and to share them on the D'Pot!! I also love your photos of the Bunting and the Tanager, such bright and beautiful colors they have.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So colorful and we had a purple martin house growing up too, never saw any in it though so cool you are seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, awesome sightings! Haven't been lucky enough to see a painted bunting yet. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anni, you did very well getting those brightly colored species, especially my favorite, the Painted Bunting. I have had the same problem on organized field trips-- in fact I led many for school children and the general public when we lived in New Mexico. I find it irritating when someone wants to talk about what they had on their feeder while I am trying to concentrate on what is going on in the here and now. Yet I have had many enjoyable group outings (my current blog is an example). Much depends upon the determination of the leader to set rules. However a large crowd is nearly impossible to manage. (BTW, does that tanager have some black on its wings? Probably just shadow, as its big bill indeed fits Summer Tanager.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful post and gorgeous photography of some of nature's gems ~ ^_^ for HBM

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! I thought I'd share my rose breasted grosbeak with you even though it's not as great as seeing your own.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No doubt you have gone to the birds. You made some amazing shots of the different ones. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How amazing to see the hummingbird in the nest! Love those brightly colored birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved your shots! I had a hummingbird nesting under my deck in a climatis vine, but I didn't know it till I was pulling down the old vines last fall!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cool shots, especially of the hummingbird nest!
    Even though we have many hummingbirds that visit our feeders, I have never seen a nest yet.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The WOW meter kept climbing the more I scrolled! You have some really colorful birds, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents