It seems that migrating season for South Coastal Texas has just begun, and now a lot that I've seen in the past month or so are leaving the area slowly. The numbers are beginning to dwindle down to a slight amount of migratory sightings. With such a warm April, May will be a lot slower in any heavy migration I think. Of course, that's just an uneducated guess on my part. Altho Bud and I have been out birding for a few hours nearly each day in April, and I have quite a collection of 'new found' birds for the year...if my charting and counting is accurate, we've spotted 165-170 different birds. I'll eventually post the images, probably way beyond migration season, but I will still share...perhaps the images will be intermixed with a few babies here and there. I can only hope. I thought I'd start off with a uncommon bird seen here in my parts [or should I say elusive?]. It has been on my 'to find and photograph' notepad list since the beginning of my taking up bird photography as a hobby. Over a year and a half now, and I finally spotted one [take note of the size of its feet!]...
PURPLE GALLINULE
[pronounced GAL uh newel]
photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
The Purple Gallinue is essentially a tropical marsh bird that just makes its way into the United States. A more or less 'silent bird' that feeds on fruits, seeds, flowers, grains and seldom a few invertebrates.
At the same area, on the same day, we saw two different swallows:
BARN SWALLOW
photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
[Northern] ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW
photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
Farther over the boardwalk, this beauty came into view. This bird family [genus] is a species that is most difficult to photograph for they rarely remain in one spot for long:
YELLOW WARBLER
photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
...and last but not least, as the saying goes, I was mesmerized by 'the dance'... It seemed to be a bit of a novice at catching anything. Anyway, that was my impression at first until I read that this very active, running, jumping and chasing is all its natural way of feeding. At times, it was a bit of comedy relief ...
REDDISH EGRET
photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
Also, this past week, I even spotted and photographed a bird that was found at Hans Suter Refuge that wasn't supposed to be anywhere near Texas... my area of Texas anyway. In fact, the habitat boundaries show that they barely come into the eastern area of the state!! And then it's only during migration season. I used several of my book guides of Texas Birds; showing nothing that I photographed. When it all came down to getting my huge North American Bird Guide off the bookshelf did I finally find it. I was shocked to read about it. The colors are so unique and only last for such a short time in this 'color stage'! The remaining months of the year, they're a dull indistinct color. I'll get to that bird hopefully soon and get some information for y'all real quick. Stay tuned.
Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.













Where did my comment go? I hope it went through..
ReplyDeleteIn any case I just want to thank you for sharing the photos of these beautiful and amazing birds..
i'd love to see a reddish egret (and a little blue heron, too!) have actually had one purple gallinule here one year. can't imagine him being this far inland, but he was!
ReplyDeleteBarn Swallows are one of my favorites, but can be difficult to photograph. Love the Gallinule and egret...I've never seen either one in person!
ReplyDeleteForget all the other birds, the Gallinule is ASTOUNDING!!! I have never even heard of this bird, and he is really something else! And I am so glad you mentioned his feet, I would have missed that.
ReplyDeleteThe gallinule is amazing colours. Love the close up of the egret.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, wonderful variety of birds. The Yellow Warbler is pretty. And I would love to see the Reddish Egret. Wonderful post and photos. Thanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteThat yellow warbler is just adorable. Some great shots here with a wonderful variety of our feathered friends.
ReplyDeleteAs always, loved every part of your informative post! Love the mix of photos and map[s so we outsiders understand more! I especially love the photos of the Big Foot one! I keep scrolling back for another look!
ReplyDeleteLovely bird photos! I especially like the Egret!
ReplyDeleteI love Your serie of photos!
ReplyDeleteIt is great!
Nice set of birds as usual. Hard to pick any favourite. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting.
i enjoy the egret or the barn swallow. great views. fun post.
ReplyDeletehave a great weekend. ( :
I like your new blog look. Can't wait to see your surprise bird.
ReplyDeletethanks for the bird info. you are so right. i'm glad you helped me out. love that. i totally understand. when you love a bird or whatever it maybe you have to figure it out. like a treasure hunt. thanks a whole bunch. big big hugs. ( :
ReplyDeleteSaw two barn swallows building a nest this morning along the shore of Lake Ontario.
ReplyDeleteTotally jealous of all the amazingly cool and different birds you get to see! 170 different ones - holy cow!
ReplyDeleteI love the variety of birds you always share. I think the only one here I've actually seen is the barn swallow. Thanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great series! Like the new blog header :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting bird - the purple gallinule. I've never heard of it before.
ReplyDeleteLovely images as usual!
Nice collection of colorful birds. The Reddish Egret have such entertaining antics. We have seen only one in our local wetlands over the nine years we have lived in south Florida. Well, I will have to deal with the suspense of waiting to learn about your new find!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, wonderful photos:) Greetings
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post today! At the local boat ramp, there's a Purple Gallinule that has learned people are a source of handouts (too, bad, actually). He'll stand on your feet and beg. I think I prefer the more elusive ones!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your birds!