Black, White and Red-READ all Over...






ANHINGA
Photos taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Oso Bay in Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:



BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER
Photos taken 1] Blucher Park - Corpus Christi and 2] Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range:


NORTHERN CARDINAL
Photos Taken: City Parks - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:

- - - *** - - -

Just an update on last week's unidentified bird:
I sent my photo thru email to another birding society, and the response was "Indigo Bunting but afflicted with the absence of melanin" and that I was very lucky to have spotted it. And later responses on the Bird ID forum I utilize had these notations...
"I don't think it's a young Indigo -- that color and patterns don't make sense in that context. I think it's a leucistic adult indigo bunting. The blue color is structural, but it needs a back layer of melanin to absorb the non-blue wavelengths. If a bird were mostly lacking in melanin, this is the sort of thing you'd see."
and
"Indigo Bunting.  It may be luesistic [sic] like posted."

I am more inclined to think it's like Ken stated in his comment.  But, I did some research...I guess it's possible with a Leucistic conclusion.  I'm not agreeing, but I'm certainly not disagreeing either. If I try to change temperature of the image I don't think that's the answer since all the other photos I take with the same camera has the correct coloring of all other birds.].  All in all I learned some valuable info!! A LUESISTIC bird is often found with patches of white, faint color markings,...and/or nearly albino. If interested, read more...

And if you'd like to view several birds that are afflicted with this [I especially was impressed with the white hummingbird!]  ...follow this link


I've had an interest in birds long before now. For decades in fact. My first book I bought - before the internet came around for us all - was a small, hardcover, carry-with-you book. "Birds of North America", a Golden Field Guide published in 1966!! I still have it. Within its pages, I have been marking off which ones I've seen in Colorado and in Arizona, long before I began taking pictures to record my sightings...and I continue to mark the ones I've spotted, and where, here in Texas. I also have a 'coffee table' large bound book of "Birds of North America" by Ashley Knight. It's a great book, very large, and some things written in this particular book, I've not read in others. Also, in my binocular case, I have a book on TEXAS BIRDS that ID birds by color. This past week I found another edition of birding in North America - published in 2012 with over 600 birds. It too is quite a nifty find. Especially the price!! I found it at our local "Half Price Books" on the clearance shelf for $1.00!! Brand new and the cover price was $19.99! As stated on the book jacket - it's become quite a complimentary favorite of my other bird guide books! The more info I find and read on a certain bird, the better!!  The more I study, the more knowledgeable I can be out in the 'field'.  Needless to say, I have 'em, the reference publications, on my desk in the computer room, in the car, and/or on the bookshelves just behind me---

Also, over the last few years, I've begun a new interest in an old fetish...sketching and painting birds I've seen around this part of Texas. I just finished a pencil sketch of an OSPREY --before this one I've painted using the watercolor medium, a BROWN PELICAN and GREAT BLUE HERON. Also, a RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD, and an INDIGO BUNTING. Years ago, in Arizona, I painted a the male NORTHERN CARDINAL. Also, a colored pencil sketch of a CARACARA.  I'm thinking my next pencil sketch will be another water bird.
...if you wish to view my artwork, the all capital titles are links that will open in a new window.






Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.







13 comments:

  1. Hi Anni, nice variety of birds. I love the Anhinga and the Black&White Warbler is my favorite. They are so cute. Great post and photos. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the hardcover of 'birds of north america' too. the best birding book i've found to date has been the crossley id guide. awesome depictions in every phase.

    love the anhinga and the cute warbler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful capture of the B&W!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have the eastern bird edition which texas is in. it is truly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post, always interesting. I had a smile at the upside down Black and White Warbler. Couldn't join in this week as I haven't taken any decent shots of birds lately. Hopefully next time. Have a great weekend Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The anhinga has such a striking pattern on its feathers! And such a long body! Very crane like to me! And love the cuteness of the warbler and cardinal with its little tuft on its head! Interesting post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never cease to be amazed at the beautiful and unique birds you show us. On this Bird Blog, why don't you show a sketch along with each bird? I guess that Bunting will remain forever a mystery. I have birding guides with drawings like Peterson and also with photos, I am thinking the drawings may be more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anni Great sets of shots and interesting reading. Thanks for hosting. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnífico reportaje...un abrazo desde Murcia

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing quite like a bargain Anni. Even more so when it's a bird book, even better when it's actually a good one rather than a dud. Love thee undertail on the Black & White Warbler - superb. Thanks for hosting again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay - I remembered to participate this week!!! :-)
    I'm always partial to Cardinals, because they were my grandma's favorite bird, and she was the most important person in my life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love all about Anhings. Such cool birds. And your shot of the warbler. Sitting like that! Unforgettable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I especially liked your cardinal-- live and in the painting. Keep up the nice work! I still have my first Peterson guide, first edition, 2nd printing, published in 1937.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents