I don't know about y'all, but the warblers, tho so varied in colors and markings and beautiful...they ARE a difficult, challenging subject to photograph. Mainly 'cause they are most often in continual motion and flying from one branch to another, or in my case this time in amongst the reeds. I spotted the movement and fleck of bright yellow near the tree branches as I was heading my way to the pond to see if any ducks and water birds that migrate to South Texas have arrived yet; last week. [I'm also keeping tabs on the southern migration of the Whooping Cranes of Texas...the last report I received they were in Lufkin, Texas...I'm hoping that some will facilitate Goose Island that isn't a far distanced drive from home like last year!!] Anyway, back to the striking color that caught my eye. I stopped and tried to follow the bird with just the 'naked eye'. Mainly just to watch for the moment. As it flitted around and around, and I following its movement, it broke free from the camouflaged surroundings and I and my camera had a frenzy of action snapping while it accommodated me in posing. All within a blink of an eye, it retreated back to the safety of being more hidden while it continued in search of food----
HOODED WARBLER
photo taken: Aransas Birding Center - Port Arnasas, Texas
habitat range: Hooded Warbler
TRIVIA: The Hooded Warbler is strongly territorial on its wintering grounds. Males and females use different habitats: males in mature forest, and females in scrubbier forest and seasonally flooded areas. If a male is removed, a female in adjacent scrub will not move into the male's territory.









What beautiful images of the Hooded Warbler! I have yet to photograph one, though I saw it a few times before taking up the hobby. That is exciting, waiting for the Whooping Cranes. Both of the captive-reared cranes that migrated from Wisconsin without assistance and ended up in our local wetlands were recaptured and released up to the north. Both have since perished. Sad.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful little bird to see...
ReplyDeleteA beautiful bird! I love the bright yellow colour.
ReplyDeleteOh just so lovley all your takes of this hooded bird.! I like your change of background with the bright yellow and the side bar with the blue..
ReplyDeleteOh my GOODNESS, he is amazing!I I have never seen one and you get really good pictures to show me!! He actually looks painted, what a wonderful bird!!!!
ReplyDeletewhat an adorable little bird! i've not seen a hooded in person. we get a few warblers passing through here, but they drive me crazy! :)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like one of my photography sessions Anni. "A blink of an eye and a frenzy of action" but wow you captured that little beauty good and proper.
ReplyDeleteThis little guy looks as if he is all set for a fancy dress or masked ball. Gorgeous colour contrasts. Grand photos.
ReplyDeletelove the Hooded warbler. Think I saw it in CostaRica. :)
ReplyDeleteAnni, nice capture. Definitely Halloween appropriate. Last saw this bird in May of this year.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos. I 've only seen the Hooded once in my lifetime. Not very common here in Minnesota. But I did see my first whooper ever last week on a pond in the Necedah NWR....:)
ReplyDeleteI just love the Hooded Warbler. Great post and photos, Anni!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful bird! Hope it isn't going to rob 7-11 with that hood on.
ReplyDeleteAnni, what a stunning little bird and perfect for the end of October!!!! Our birds are now down to the hardy few that will stick out the winter as long as I keep the feeders full!
ReplyDeleteI would LOVE to see this bird!! I think you did a fabulous job with his portrait. :) They are so striking and colorful; what a great spotting! Btw, I thought I was already following this blog, but apparently not, so that has been fixed. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteA very special little bird, great post Anni! I was able to enter this time.
ReplyDeleteVery nice series on this colorful bird!
ReplyDeleteWe only see them during migration and they should start showing up any day now.