The "Call of the Wild"




Besides driving to our usual places this past week, we decided to check the progress just a few miles toward the islands and stop close to crossing the causeway...on the southwest side of the bay....near Flour Bluff, Texas.  This is more or less a 'suburb' of Corpus Christi. Anyway, for the past two years the city of Corpus Christi has been working on constructing a new nature area, for birders, bikers, and  hikers.  Several paths are intertwined throughout the natural preserve.  As yet, it is incomplete.  The projected completion date is late this coming summer in 2014...or knowing how the city government usually works...I predict it will be done by Fall of 2014.  Not only are new paths being laid for us, but eventually there will be an educational facility built with a kiosk...information booth, etc. etc.  Bud and I went there long ago to see the area promised to be the new refuge.  Before any construction had started.  It's been over a year since we drove there, and as I said, this past week, we parked our vehicle and began walking.  Much to our delight, the path was completed to the bay waters, and a very nice covered observation deck is done.

...while there on the observation deck [the one photo of the water storage tank is overlooking the bay toward Flour Bluff, Texas], scoping out the water birds, finding herons, osprey, spoonbills, sanderlings, and ibis.  Not to forget this part... we HEARD these before we saw them. If you've ever experienced Sandhill Cranes in flight, their calls are noticed before they come into view!! We scouted the skyline, in hopes of them flying into our space...not so. We left, and walked back along the trail we had come, only to veer off on another pathway heading toward the dry washes...I spotted a Spoonbill about a quarter mile away from the path, in the fields...there behind the spoonbill and a dilapidated fence line I spied 'em!! At first count, I tallied eleven. There WERE more to be seen around the bend; still in the wash!!! I forgot all about trying to get a photo of the lone spoonbill...forget that one and focus on the cranes Anni!!! The photos of them in the tall grass are a bit blurry because of the far distance they were from me. But as we headed back to where the car was parked, some flew overhead ---




SANDHILL CRANES - WHITE IBIS - ROSEATE SPOONBILL - OSPREY
Photos taken: New Oso Bay Reserve - Flour Bluff [Corpus Christi], Texas


TRIVIA
Although some start breeding at two years of age, Sandhill Cranes may reach the age of seven before breeding. They mate for life—which can mean two decades or more—and stay with their mates year-round. Juveniles stick close by their parents for 9 or 10 months after hatching.
The earliest Sandhill Crane fossil, estimated to be 2.5 million years old, was unearthed in the Macasphalt Shell Pit in Florida.
Sandhill Crane chicks can leave the nest within 8 hours of hatching, and are even capable of swimming.
The oldest Sandhill Crane on record was at least 36 years, 7 months old. Originally banded in Wyoming in 1973, it was found in New Mexico in 2010.


...now share your birding experiences:







31 comments:

  1. You sure see some awesome birds Anni! That Spoonbill is wonderful. I remembered to join in this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the spoonbills myself. They're such a pretty color. And the beak, so unusual, that they take top marks in birdom.

      Delete
  2. Anni, looks like an awesome new place to add to your list of birding places. Nice variety of birds seen during your outing. Love the Spoonbill. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree I think it will be a great place once completed. And the birds in our area just never cease to amaze me.

      Delete
  3. What a pleasant surprise to find the preserve so far along. The boardwalk and covered deck look great, and you slide show was excellent. Yes, so often i hear the cranes before seeing them (if I am lucky enough to see them, as sometimes they just call from the high grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I love to watch the cranes in flight...so large and yet so very graceful.

      Delete
  4. Anni my friend, It must be so exciting to have new areas set aside for birds and birders. But of course the birds don't know about the changes and probably were and still will still use the area anyway, as you so enthusiastically describe. I love the sign "A Learning Centre" - exactly right and more power to your local authorities in spending scarce money this way to benefit both birds and humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and that it IS...a learning center. Anyone, who loves nature and getting outdoors will benefit from this 'new' area.

      Delete
  5. How exciting to see the sandhill cranes! I've only seen them at a safari sanctuary in Grand Prairie, TX, never out in the wild. The birding community is supposed to be working on encouraging more breeding areas in Louisiana. They've been spotted here and there so when word gets out all the birders come at once and scare them off. Anyone, looks like a great new area you have to go birding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, over crowding especially in areas that birds frequent, can scare 'em away faster that poop through a goose!! And sadly, we humans don't realize that it's our fault. Hope LA will get the support needed for breeding areas.

      Delete
  6. Hi Anni great tpost as usual. I love the idea of a learning centre, I love learning and have l always taught what i have learned. Great for you to have seen and heard the Sandhill Cranes. We had 1 Spoonbill in Northern irelad last week, this is VERY rare and the other day it was discovered dead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my...how sad. Do you s'pose it got too far north and the weather/temperatures had something to do with its demise?

      Delete
  7. My favorites here are the Spoonbills, they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the sandhills and spoonbills are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your birds but the spoonbill is so different to me. I have only ever seen them once in my life and that was down in Florida many years ago. They really are an unusual bird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a great place to visit. I love the cranes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome serie of photos, - so much to study!
    Very interesting!
    Great photowork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you Hans....I am glad to read you found it interesting.

      Delete
  12. Anni, thanks for introducing us to the Oso Bay Wetlands. The Spoonbill is a remarkable bird. Sandhill Cranes are appearing with regularity in the Finger Lakes region of New York State.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always look forward to having the cranes arrive in our area!!! Glad you enjoyed the little intro to the newest area in town.

      Delete
  13. I like the spoonbills, but I have never come really close to them. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too....if you'd like...pay me a visit, and we can find you some up close!!! ;o)

      Delete
  14. Great series. I enjoyed your info and photos of the Spoonbill...
    Thanks for hosting. :)
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Rebecca, and you too have a great Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  15. I think most birds are....don't the scientists think that the birds we have today evolved from dinosaurs? I may be wrong on that one tho.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so nice for you to have such a great place for birding. I love that shot of the crane in flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sometimes it's not so good for me...'cuz the title of my blog says it all....it'd much rather be birding than at home or grocery shopping, whatever...birding is just too aplenty here.

      Delete

Table of Contents