...Insects, Spiders, and Bugs, OH MY!!
A species I've only heard of, but never seen, 'til a few weeks ago. I spotted this little one flitting around in the drying reed/cattail. It rarely stopped, so active it was. I stood at the railing, zooming in on it, focusing, only to have it leave my viewfinder!! With a bit of perseverance, and frantically just snapping the shutter button in hopes of getting a few photos, out of probably 30 or so attempts I ended up with six pretty good images of it. So, I share these:
MARSH WREN
photos taken: Leonabelle Birding Center/Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range: Marsh Wren
TRIVIA:
According to what I've been reading about the wren, research now concludes [probable] that there are actually TWO separate species of the marsh wren. Eastern and Western. Being more the song and the size of the bill for each. Referring: The Eastern Marsh Wren is more of a songster comparing to the Western Marsh Wren. Often it is referred to being the "Long Billed Marsh Wren" only to distinguish its difference to another wren...the Sedge Wren.
Nests are in the cattail marshes and domed shape with a side entrance...I'm thinking 'side' entrance would perhaps meaning instead of a topside entrance?!!
Male Marsh Wrens are quite predatory and protective of its food supply. Known even to kill its own kind.
Now, share your birding experiences:






I´m sorry but no 1 is from NF Birds and Scotland. Not Morocco.
ReplyDeleteCousin to the wrens that visit up here ( western Pa ) I guess! So cute. I love mine, and their song! :)
ReplyDeleteAll of the wren family are difficult to photograph Anni. I'm still keen to get a few pictures of our common Wren but it aint easy. Full marks for your pictures and thanks for explaining how the scientists decided there are two marsh Wrens. Where would we be without the boffins?
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting the blogs Anni. Enjoy your Sunday too.
great sighting! love the carolinas we get but have never seen a marsh. :)
ReplyDeleteI envy your great images of the Marsh Wren! I have seen them but not yet photographed one. Had one hiding right in front of me but with the sun behind it just this past week! Only got a glimpse anyway.I grew up calling them Long-billed because the Sedge Wren was then called the Short-billed Marsh Wren.
ReplyDeleteWrens are so adorable. I've never seen a Marsh Wren; we have the Carolina Wren here. Good job spotting and capturing this one in the reeds.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots - I find wrens hard to capture - they flit about so.
ReplyDeleteThat is a little cutie, great captures. Thank goodness for digital cameras that we can take oodles of photos and just keep the ones we want.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos. It is great to see a new species, especially the small ones.
ReplyDeleteYour little marsh wren is so cute and think you did a great job on getting those shots. I also wanted to thank you for giving me the heads up on going to aransas wildlife preserve to the big tree for the whooping cranes. I had a wonderful time in rockport last weekend, and especially loved the Jack Flash boating trip . got some great bird shots and really enjoyed myself! Would never have known about the big tree if you had not told me. Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteVery sweet photos. I'm only familiar with the Carolina Wren and they are quite active!
ReplyDeleteAnni, great capture of the cute marsh wren. They are hard birds to take photos of, always moving about and fussing. Awesome shots, thanks for hosting! I hope you are having a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteAm sending you the link to the post i did on the whooping cranes. It is on my blog.
ReplyDeletehttp://thebutterflymetamorphosis.blogspot.com/2014/02/what-amazing-experience.html
I also have many other shots and will share more of them soon. Thanks so much for stopping by, and hope to see you again.
Super photos Anni, sweet little birds. I have never seen a Marsh Wren before.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots of the bird looking for bird.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos of birds
ReplyDeleteGreetings
Although I have seen a Marsh Wren several times I have not been able to photograph one. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletePretty shots!
ReplyDeleteYou really got some terrific images of this pretty little wren. We only have the Carolina; how great that you got a different species. Wrens are so difficult to capture because of their constant movements, but you persevered!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'll be back to link up tomorrow. :)
ReplyDeleteSounds very protective and a bit brutal!
ReplyDeleteI love the Carolina Wrens around my property. I haven't seen one this winter. - I've read that the cold can be hard on these small birds... Hopefully they just went further south and I'll enjoy them nesting in my garage again this spring. :) Thanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteVery sweet little bird. Great captures!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute little thing it is!
ReplyDeleteNever knew about a marsh wren. Thank you for the photos and lesson. Nice to meet you. I am a blogging friend of Gail Dixon.
ReplyDeletecharlotte
Hi! Thank you very much for your kindness♡♡♡
ReplyDeleteI checked the 'marsh wren' with pc-dic, I haven't even heard of the name in Japanese p;) When I saw your pictures, I thought it would be a kind of sparrow with longer bill.
So sorry that I found the linking closed. But I wish I could link up when I am lucky enough to have pictures of birds(*^_^*).
Lots of love and hugs, xoxo Miyako*
quite a bird's eye view pardon the punacity not a word.
ReplyDelete