At one of our 'hot spots' that we try to frequent weekly, as we were leaving the area, off the walkway an American Bittern showed us its beauty and stealth. It never did seem a bit startled to have us two stand within less than a yard's (0.91440m) distance watching its prowess as it hunted down a lizard and consumed it---then, it continued to parade through the winter grasses:
AMERICAN BITTERN
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat range: American Bittern
TRIVIA:
Bitterns are most active at dusk and through the night. If alarmed, a bittern will stand motionless with its bill pointed straight up and its body contracted.
...the above mentioned habit gave the bird its regional names of sky-gazer, look-up and stake-bird.
During the breeding season, the males perform a remarkable courtship walk displaying white fan-like ruffs raised over their back and shoulders. As seen here and here.












Fantastic pictures. I really must see a Bittern this year. Great stuff.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, I had a bird post today so was very happy to join in. I really liked your photos of the Bittern. I saw one for the first time in Florida but not as close as this one. I didn't know what it was at first but thanks to photos such as yours I can now identify it.
ReplyDeleteI've not seen one locally in nearly a year, so it is nice that you shared these great photos. I once had one appear in a parking lot at a preserve, out in plain sight. It acted if it were as invisible as when surrounded by reeds and rushes, walking extremely slowly. It was comical!
ReplyDeleteJust amazing close-ups Anni. Wow, did you get some great pics. Bitterns are so well camouflaged in their habitat, something your shots show so well.
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting once again.
Fantastic shots of birds. It looks similar to Indian Pond Heron.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous shots of the bittern and one I've never photographed!
ReplyDeletehow awesome!
ReplyDeleteYou got great pictures of this one.
ReplyDeleteHow did you get close to it, are using 800mm lens? Fantastic Bittern images.
ReplyDeleteWow - To get that close and not have it take off is a wondrous occasion! Your photos are amazing. I very rarely see one of these birds. Would love to see them oftener.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos!
ReplyDeleteAwesome shots of this beautiful bird. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteWow, it is a great closeup sighting the American Bittern.. They are cool birds. Awesome photos, Anni! Thanks for hosting, happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteSuch a beauty. I love my Florida winter home, but I wish we were closer to that lovely spot where you took that picture. Best birding ever in Port A.
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni;
ReplyDeleteI've never seen this kid of hern, we can see egret sometime (haha, hope I'm writing the correct way)
Wonderful shots, aren't they♬♬♬
Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*
Great shots! It's so fascinating to watch them hunt with their neck extended.
ReplyDeleteunwarscheinlich schöne Bilder Anni und auch Danke für die genaue Beschreibung seiner Art
ReplyDeleteLG vom katerchen
Beautiful shots of the Bittern Anni, you did well to get them, they can be sneaky birds. only seen our Bittern on a few occasions, had no chance with the American one, but my Daughter has, jammy girl.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Gordon.
Brave bird. I'm never lucky enough to get that close. Great shots!
ReplyDeleteDifficult bird to capture with a camera. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI saw a bittern through a scope one time, in Portland, OR, and it was amazing that the birder had even found it since it blended in so well with the weeds around him. Amazing captures of this elusive creature!!
ReplyDeleteWhat great shots! It would be a real treat to see it that close up.
ReplyDeletethe Bittern is such an interesting bird. I have only seen it on my travels. But that was good.
ReplyDeleteSuch a wonderful bird and so great shot :)
ReplyDeleteHave a happy weekend :)