I was determined this time to stick with this little heron until it showed its crest! Over the few years since I've taken up bird photography, I tried in vain to capture in photo, the crest feathers. Each time I spied one in flight, and coming in to land on the marsh grounds, the crest would be visible...but, by the time I got the camera focused the crest had fallen back into place. Never any luck. Recently, I spied a young'un at the creek bed in our city's downtown park.
Once he looked me square in the eye, he decided I was a threat and flew into an overhanging branch...
...I moved a few feet from where I stood to keep the branches from my camera's viewfinder. Oops...shouldn't have done that. For, the heron flew higher into another tree close by!!
My, what big eyes you have Mr. Greenwings!! "All the Better to See You M'lady!"
On my part, big mistake. But, in the better scheme of my attempt to get the most always hidden crest to show for my lens, keeping it active just may do the trick. The heron continued to watch me and my every move. I then walked from this area, across the foot bridge, to the other side. It spotted me [or watched me all the time as I walked], and flew to the next tree with a more open view of its intruder carrying the big black box in her hand. Mr. Greenwings thinks: "Maybe if I pretend to spot some other intruder high above, in the sky, that'll make her forget me for a moment, and she'll look up with me? You know, like all the tourists in NYC looking up at the skyscrapers...everybody looks up when they see someone looking up."
While I was being taken for a ditzy blond, it worked for only a second. But, while I was searching the higher canopy, the Little Green tried another trick in its book. "...While nitwit's she's lookin' up, I'll just sneak away and get back to my frog infested creek bed for lunch!!"
Aha!! I see you again! You thought you'd lose me, didn't you? But I'm determined to get your feathers riled on record. And I'm not leavin' 'til you show 'em to me. I aim again and try to be as patient as the great Green Hunter itself...
...as it preens and keeps one eye on me at the same time, it's thinking of distracting me by looking down. This time it didn't work. I kept a close vigil on its every move! I could feel a crest showing itself any second now--
...as it looked down the body action told me it's going to make a dive downward to dry land at the creek bottom soon. I held tough and kept the lens focused. Here it comes!! Downward it flies, and lands. With the beautiful green crest rigid!!
...the end. Anni has now left the park and Mr. Greenwings in peace.
Now share your birding experiences:
















Fantastic series of photos. Glad you got the photo you wanted. I'm sharing a green heron this week but it didn't move at all the whole time I was there ... to intent on finding some food.
ReplyDeleteWow, I have never seen such a thing, your patience paid off! Thanks for spending so much time to make us happy!! His eyes are so intense!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful shots of bird.
ReplyDeletethey're cute and awkward looking birds. :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome shots! So glad he showed his crest to you. Happy weekend, Anni!
ReplyDeleteAnother great set of shots!
ReplyDeleteThey are wonderful ! Great shots !
ReplyDeleteHave a nice weekend :)
Awesome series on the Green Heron! I love them all. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteWonderful! I'm so glad your patience was rewarded. Beautiful photo.
ReplyDeleteFabulous series of photos of the Green Heron! I would LOVE to see one of those sometime!
ReplyDeleteWOW! Patience paid well that day. You gat a wonderful shot of the crest raised.
ReplyDeletepatience is a vertue, you sure were rewarded here!!! awesome captures!!!
ReplyDeleteYour persistence is rewarded. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYou did it! Great series of Mr. Heron!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a very careful bird, he plans every step, wonderful series of photos.
ReplyDeleteYour persistence certainly paid off, Anni! Great shots!
ReplyDeleteI love that last shot. The picture quality is so clear.
ReplyDeleteyour bird is amazing.
ReplyDeleteLucky you! So happy you got the shot.
ReplyDeleteGot him!
ReplyDeleteHá há!:=) You kept me in suspense,... will she, won't she, will he, won't he, I'm happy for you that you got what you wanted in the end, and some excellent photos as well. I have yet to get shots of the Hoopoe with it's fan crest displayed, so I know just how you felt. Good job Annie!
ReplyDeleteOnly a true wildlife photographer would understand all that and I can totally see you following this guy around and I LOVE the crest!!!!
ReplyDeleteWell, your patience and shenanigans paid off! Love your shots of this beauty, crest or no crest. The "big eyes" shot is tremendous. Your antics and the way you tell your stories always make me smile.
ReplyDeleteWonderful!!!!! And congrats on being so determined, Anni.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on getting the shot you wanted, Anni! Beautiful photos!
ReplyDeleteDa-DAH!!!! Great job! You were indeed as patient as she...and got some great photos in the process! I don't have a bird this weekend, but will post with you again next Saturday.
ReplyDeleteGreat that you finally got the Greenie with its crest up. These little guys can take on so many shapes, and I'd like to capture all of them, from little round feather balls to almost snake-like. Sorry I missed linking this time as was traveling and it is so difficult to work from an iPhone.
ReplyDelete