As I walked out of our garage to check our mailbox, this was spotted in the pecan tree ...






...it would lay facing one direction for about 30 minutes then, get up and 'stretch' while flapping its wings and then turn to face the opposite direction and so on and so forth. I watched it [and the antics of our resident squirrels] for about 2 hours from the opened garage. After dinner, just before dusk, it was still there. This particular nightjar, smaller in size than the common nighthawk by about 3 inches, is found in extreme lower Texas and south/west USA. And a tell-tale feature to differentiate the two is the lesser has the white wing stripe closer to its wing tip, while the common nighthawk's stripe is more centralized on the wing..
But, of course, by morning it had left.
LESSER NIGHTHAWK
photos taken: our front yard - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Lesser Nighthawk
TRIVIA: 1] Analyses of stomach contents have revealed a single bird eating upwards of 500 mosquitoes in a single day. [Why then, do we still have those pesky pests in our yard? If my math is enough, I think we need about 3 dozen nighthawks for our yard only...that may work, getting rid of 'em 'til next season. lol]
2] Adults flushed from the nest may try to distract the intruder or defend the nest site by aerial attack.
Now, share your birding experiences:






...it would lay facing one direction for about 30 minutes then, get up and 'stretch' while flapping its wings and then turn to face the opposite direction and so on and so forth. I watched it [and the antics of our resident squirrels] for about 2 hours from the opened garage. After dinner, just before dusk, it was still there. This particular nightjar, smaller in size than the common nighthawk by about 3 inches, is found in extreme lower Texas and south/west USA. And a tell-tale feature to differentiate the two is the lesser has the white wing stripe closer to its wing tip, while the common nighthawk's stripe is more centralized on the wing..
But, of course, by morning it had left.
LESSER NIGHTHAWK
photos taken: our front yard - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Lesser Nighthawk
TRIVIA: 1] Analyses of stomach contents have revealed a single bird eating upwards of 500 mosquitoes in a single day. [Why then, do we still have those pesky pests in our yard? If my math is enough, I think we need about 3 dozen nighthawks for our yard only...that may work, getting rid of 'em 'til next season. lol]
2] Adults flushed from the nest may try to distract the intruder or defend the nest site by aerial attack.
Now, share your birding experiences:
Nice shot and interesting factoid about the Lesser Nighthawk. We had them in El Paso when we lived there but I don't remember seeing any in Dallas. We needed some mosquito control back in Florida and also when we arrived in Illinois, but overnight it turned cold and we had snow flurries this morning. My blood is too thin for this!
ReplyDeleteI know what you're saying here....no snow for me is GOOD!! Thanks Ken.
Deletehow lucky you were. It is a hard to see bird. I have spotted only one of it´s kind and only far off and for a short moment. :)
ReplyDelete...thanks. Yes, they ARE very well camouflaged.
DeleteWhat a beautiful bird! Wonderful shots!
ReplyDelete...thanks Mary.
Deletethese are awesome shots, anni! great sighting, too!
ReplyDelete...thanks Ms. T.
DeleteGreat shots of this beautiful bird! Thank you for hosting, Anni!
ReplyDelete...and thank YOU, Gunilla, for sharing your link this weekend.
DeleteWhat an exciting siting from your garage!!! Wonderful shots, too.
ReplyDelete...thanks Janice.
DeleteWonderful shots you captured of this fabulous bird, Never seen one.
ReplyDelete...thanks Margaret.
DeleteOhhhhhhh .... what a beautiful bird this nightjar !!!! Brilliant and just as beautiful in color and detail. Very nicely photographed. I've never seen these beautiful birds.
ReplyDelete...thanks Helma
DeleteThe witch is a nice surprise! And what an odd looking bird.
ReplyDeleteI agree...they're different looking than most birds...but all the more interesting.
DeleteA beautiful bird I have never seen... fantastic images.
ReplyDelete...thank you Andrew
DeleteSuch a cool sighting. Wonderful shots too.
ReplyDeleteVery neat..I've never seen one of those either. My to-see list just keeps growing and growing!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean....I have a list too, but just go birding period....and hope for a 'new' bird to allow me to get photos of their beauty. Thanks Terri
DeleteWow! these pictures are mysterious and beautiful. It looks almost like a mythical bird. This may be my favorite post of yours! And I really like your description of what it did! Maybe it was trying to sleep before it took off hunting for the night? And why does it have such a name?
ReplyDeleteI found this Ginny..."The common name 'nightjar' refers to the loud jarring or 'churring' call of the male, which can contain 1900 notes per minute."
DeleteRats! after extensively Googling, I could not find the reason for this name. Another name it used to go by is Goatsucker. And it has been known to pick up it's eggs or it's chicks and move them if danger is near.
ReplyDeletesee above.
DeleteWhat wonderful photos! How fun to get to watch it.
ReplyDelete...thanks Teresa
DeleteIt is very convenient when a bird you want to watch decides to visit you rather than letting you visit them. A very handsome bird it is too! I wish you a good sunday!
ReplyDeleteI consider it luck...or being very fortunate to be outdoors when it was resting in the tree. Thanks Christina.
DeleteWow, what a cool yard bird.. Anni, you are lucky, I have never seen one.. Great shots.. Thanks for hosting, have a happy day!
ReplyDelete...something you don't see everyday! For sure. Thanks Eileen.
DeleteWell that is just an amazing present to have on the doorstep Anni. Much better than anything the postmand delivered I'll bet?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the birding party again.
...it truly was a gift for the day. Usually they fly off at the sight of us humanoids. Not this one. Thankfully.
DeleteI think less is better. And right outside the house. Lucky you! Wonderful shots!
ReplyDeleteI was awed that it was so still for me throughout my 'photo taking'
DeleteWonderful bird! I have always seen pictures of them but have never seen one. You were so fortunate! Especially so to catch him sitting and resting! I wish one would come eat the mosquitoes in my yard....or some bats, or several of both! :-) Sorry I didn't join in....will have something next week.
ReplyDeleteBats eat mosquitoes too....don't they? I really hate mosquitoes. See you next week Marie. Thanks.
DeleteI was wondering about the size of their beak and then read your trivia notes! What an interesting bird!
ReplyDelete...thanks June. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the photos, and yes the beak is quite small.
DeleteOh I love nighthawks! A long time ago I posted one (just one) picture of one we saw in a campground in eastern Oregon -- and I told how as a small child I would see these birds circle around overhead every summer evening (seemed like there were hundreds, but probably not really that many). Nobody ever answered my questions about them -- I had to wait until I was old to learn what they were!
ReplyDelete...thanks Sallie, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos this week.
Delete...thanks Linda
ReplyDeleteGreat shots of this bird! How lucky is that to have one just outside your door!
ReplyDelete,,,thanks Susan
DeleteAnni, you have got to love it when the birds come to you. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete....thank YOU for visiting.
DeleteJealous as I hear them every night during the summer at my house but have yet to ever spot one!
ReplyDelete...they're not an easy bird to see.
DeleteWhat a beautiful bird to have in your yard! Oh my gosh, I am a tad jealous. Maybe more than a tad. :) Super awesome photos!!! Congrats. :)
ReplyDelete...thanks Gail. It was a day I won't soon forget.
DeleteOh, and thank you for hosting. :)
ReplyDelete...thanks again
Delete...thanks Felicia
ReplyDeleteA fascinating birds and great to get so close. They are really difficult to find.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful and neat-looking bird! Great shots!
ReplyDeletethanks Bethany.
DeleteWhat great photos. I've never seen this bird before so it was fun to see your photos of it. Love it's markings.
ReplyDeleteI'm going tonight, a new blog, but I think the link is not needed here. En I do not know how long this blog let alone here.
ReplyDeleteSincerely, Helma
Great spot of luck,superb shots.
ReplyDeleteJohn.
That's a very special little bird.
ReplyDeleteOh what a thrill to have spotted this beauty and you got some amazing images to share too. Love these Anni!!!
ReplyDelete