Highlight of the Year 2014


As I mentioned last week, the past month has been extraordinary for me. After our duck hunting excursion with no wood duck spotted, we left the area and decided to drive along a very rough, filled-with-potholes-everywhere-type road to the Lagoon. Along Laguna Madre, the rough road is Laguna Shores Drive. Of course by the name of the road you'd expect a beautiful surrounding area. Not so. The area smells badly, the homes all on stilts/piers are run down for the most part, the shore is lined in spots with abandoned, run down boats, etc. Well, you get the picture, right? Trust me, it's not a pleasant drive at all. And, naturally, when you're out birding, you want to drive at a slow pace to scour the shoreline for water fowl...but the local traffic doesn't allow that; there is absolutely no good place to pull off this time of year since we have had so many rainstorms come through the area. The sandy shore is littered with clay also, so don't wanna pull off and get stuck.

Okay, so now that's out of the way, we were driving along at a good clip when all of a sudden I spotted them. Three of them. I could NOT believe what I saw!! Go figure. I said to Bud...in a screeching kinda voice..."I think those are black swans!!" "It just can't be. They're Australian birds when in their natural habitat!" We had to drive on. No place to pull off the road. We made a U turn at the first intersection we came to, and headed back to the spot. We found a small area of black top that was a bit unsafe to stop, but we pulled off the road the best we could. The swans were too far away, no place to get out without sinking in mire, so we stayed in the car, rolled down the windows, and while Bud viewed them with the binoculars, I tried to zoom in on them from afar. The day was another overcast, dreary gray. I continued to take a few more photos and then just watched a short time before we left when the traffic cleared out enough for us to pull back out on the road safely.

We returned again the very next day in hopes of seeing them again with a clear blue sky filled with sunshine. That was a no-go...they were gone. We drove the entire length of shoreline for about 5 miles before it ended....no more black swans.

Now, tho it was a rare sighting, the more we thought about it, we kinda figured they were bred and raised for 'pets' and released out in the wild, as with some other black swans noted in other parts of the world besides Australia and New Zealand...maybe zoo escapees? [but zoo birds have their wings clipped if they're not caged, right?] Perhaps, who knows. Either that or they surely took a wrong turn over Albuquerque. rofl. I just hope they will survive wherever they are now!!!



When we returned home that day I made sure I checked Black Swans in Texas with the e-bird sightings. Only ONE other entry and that was back in April of this year...then, when I went out to e-bird to retrieve the map for this post someone else spotted them in the same area 5 days prior to us....if you notice the text within the spotting window...'between Caribbean and SPID'---that SPID stands for South Padre Island Drive that takes you to the islands.


BLACK SWAN
photos taken: Laguna Madre Shores - Flour Bluff, Texas [suburb of Corpus Christi]
Australian habitat map:


Now, share your birding experiences:




29 comments:

  1. That is spectacular! Beyond any expectations. And three at once! There will be a lively discussion about their provenance. With a little publicity we should learn whether they are known escapees or wondrous wild vagrants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone else posted them on Texbirds. They are most certainly escapees and not "countable", but they are beautiful. I want them to survive, but maybe not have a large family because they are destructive to our ecosystem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facebook for Texbirds, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous birds. We don''t have them here, but I've seen them once far away. I didn't get any photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to watch these beautiful birds ! Great shots !
    Have a happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. we have the same problem here with those darned escapees anni. Folk buy them for their exotic bird populations and then forget or are too lazy to clip their wings and the birds escape to become feral. it's not just swans, but geese and ducks too. Best not to interfere with nature in this way but hey they make for interesting birding - I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful swans, I wish the Black Swans was native to the USA. Lovely photos.. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could feel the excitement in your post! How fun. It sure pays to always have your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that´s quite a sighting. What an adventure. I did see 5 of them in Honolulu last year. And a few in Queensland but from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How neat! We have a lot of domestic geese that have gone wild and live on the lake in front of our house. They coexist with the Canada Geese. We also see a black runner duck that a young person on a local farm raised as a 4-H project. He was able to retrieve one of these ducks but the other escaped and he gave up trying to catch it. It's taken up with some white ducks and seems to be contented.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific sighting, Anni. They are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These Black Swans are stunning, Anni. I hope you have a great week coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. before reading the text and just glancing at the pics I thought it was the Loch Ness Monster - they bear an uncanny resemblance to a particular (now discredited) photo - great story - sorry no birds from me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely a highlight of the year ~ Beautiful photos of the gorgeous swans!

    Happy Weekend,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, the meme doesn't appear at the end of your post! Maybe it's a Linky problem...I hope so! And I hope it gets fixed soon!

    Gorgeous black swans! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great photos! I think most people have never seen one. I have seen a few here and there, but on the whole they are kind of rare around here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are beautiful! I didn't know black swans existed :) Very exciting post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very exciting discovery Anni. I remember seeing a black swan in Hawaii once on the grounds of a beautiful temple. Also near my home town in England there were black swans that had been given to Dawlish by a local man who had emigrated to New Zealand years before. They were Australian Swans of course but I remember seeing them as a little girl and there are still black swans in Dawlish. You can read about them here: http://www.dawlish.gov.uk/swans.php

    I would love to see them in their own natural habitat in Australia. It might not happen but here's to dreaming :-)

    I have linked up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anni, I came back to answer your question about the bird on my blog. It is a black headed gull. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anni, Thank you for your kind comments. But do not spread the attached too far.
    http://www.birdingisfun.com/2010/12/birder-profile-phil-slade.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anni, what a great find. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to comment again...this is just amazing! I am so blown away by these birds that are not where they are supposed to be! Just such an exciting sighting...and great photos! I finally have meme access again and will link in! I was a little worried yesterday that it was my computer and something serious, but all is well now...go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Anni. A very interesting and exciting sighting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Top notch captures,a big well done,superb captures.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH MY GOSH! How super lucky you are that is a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh so wonderful! I wonder where they came from? I was thrilled to see some on a lake in Florida, but those were imported on purpose. Still lovely, but not quite the same as how you spotted them.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents