In the Sonoran Desert, the area of Southwest USA, home of the famous Saguaro cactus [the empire state building giant of cactus-dom] the quail resident was/is the Gambel's Quail. One year, the two of us shared our back yard with a quail family...privileged at watching the breeding, the nesting, the hatching, and the parents raising the 'brood'. We then moved to Texas... along the coast of Texas on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico. In some spots, it's sub-tropic. In other areas, it's a desert chaparral!! Here, in the chaparral, is where we found the Greater Roadrunner! Three weeks ago, walking as told to do after my stay in ICU, Bud and I trekked around the new birding facility being built. This was the Sunday we saw a whole slew of Sandhill Cranes that I posted photos of at Hootin' Anni's. This was also the same day we both heard, but never sighted, the Bobwhite Quail. We stayed around the land of mesquite and prickly pear cactus in hopes of finding them. No luck. So, on Tuesday, the last day of March, we decided to walk the newer trails once again in search of some land birds. We took our sweet time, viewing the abundance of wildflowers; but very little bird life. We stopped at the elevated observation platform and used our binoculars to see what water fowl was there on the bay. American Coots, Redheaded ducks, two reddish egrets, a half dozen roseate spoonbills, and a couple of great egrets. Across the bay at a great distance a flock of white pelicans. We left to head back to the car. We had grocery shopping to do before the rains came. Yep, it was another cloudy day. As we approached the end of the trail, where the car was parked, Bud had the car keys readied...I glanced at some of the construction debris beside the road and behold...TWO BOBWHITE QUAIL!! One male, one female. And they were scurrying away quickly. I hurriedly focused on one. I was excited....just to get a photo to record our sighting!! I had a wonderful opportunity of get both male[the one with the black & white face markings] AND female [with the buff brown face markings] in photo since they stopped to investigate for food tidbits before vanishing in the roadside brush and culvert. A 30 second instant, and they were gone. A first for me; otherwise seen only in bird guide books, now forever lodged in the pages of my own birding almanac, and one of the four on my sidebar for 2015 now 'marked off'...



NORTHERN BOBWHITE QUAIL
photos taken: Oso Bay Nature Trail
habitat range: Bobwhite Quail
I read some articles online once I got home, and sadly, the Northern Bobwhite Quail are in dire straits...the population has declined nearly 80 per cent in the state of Texas. I consider myself lucky to see just these two.
If you have time, read these ariticles:
THE BOBWHITE BLUES!!! Bobwhite Quail...a decline in population that needs to be addressed. Shared by LIVING BIRD MAGAZINE .Cornell Ornithology Lab. Issue Autumn 2012
Now, share your birding experiences:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
I love that first photo.
ReplyDeleteI love the colors and design on them, too. They're kind of like the leopards of the birdie world. :p
They are lovely, Anni! So glad you saw them. They are definitely different from our Gambel's Quail, but more what I was used to in the south. I'm doing a Gambel's Quail post coming up next!
ReplyDeleteawesome sighting! i've not seen a bobwhite since my childhood in wisconsin!
ReplyDeleteLovely images! Quails appear comforting.
ReplyDeleteYou have such an inspiring story to tell Anni. How many people would march across the landscape birdwatching after such a raumatic time and a stay in ICU?
ReplyDeleteBy the way those Texas Blue Bonnets are truly gorgeous.
Full marks in spotting those Bobwhites
You have such an inspiring story to tell Anni. How many people would march across the landscape birdwatching after such a raumatic time and a stay in ICU?
ReplyDeleteBy the way those Texas Blue Bonnets are truly gorgeous.
Full marks in spotting those Bobwhites
The Bobwhites are cool birds. Awesome shots! I have only seen them once.. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteGreat sighting! Oh my. Sorry to hear about your ICU visit. I hope you're on the mend.
ReplyDeleteGreat looking bird!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on this exciting sighting! They're beautiful birds. Happy weekend, Anni!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni - I've been wondering how you're doing - and now I know! LOL. Wonderful photos of the Quail - so glad you got to see them and get some super shots of them!! :)
ReplyDeleteHi, thanks for the linkup! I thought I commented but couldn't find it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great job getting a pic of both the male and female!
-Lisa
Don't think I've ever seen them up close before. How pretty!
ReplyDeleteAnni, what a great find. Good for you. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYou not only found one, but a pair! And you got great pictures!! Why are the declining so badly? Are they hunted?
ReplyDeleteGreat quail shots!
ReplyDeleteThe Bobwhites are darling, I love the fancy patterns in their feathers. It is sad to find so many animals and birds declining.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots of this gorgeous bird!
ReplyDeleteAn excellent find Anni and great photos. Gorgeous feather patterns.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting to see the Bobwhit Quails Anni, and ho sad to read they are in decline. I hope something can be done about that.
ReplyDeletethis is such a beautiful bird. Love the quails, but never see any :(
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting :)
Great job and I'm impressed cuz those little buggers can be FAST!
ReplyDeleteWow that was a fantastic sighting and even more fantastic that you got a picture of them both together. Sad to read they are in danger. I hate that. Thank you again for hosting.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos! Amazing birds. So sorry to hear their numbers are declining.
ReplyDeleteHope you are still healing and getting better every day.
Great this Roadrunners. I met this bird in a cartoon, and there I found it all a very nice bird. In real life, it is an even better bird. Beautiful pictures.
ReplyDeleteone of the most beautiful feather pattern i have ever seen!!!!
ReplyDeletei hope they rebound, it so sad to think of any bird becoming extinct!!
Congratulations on getting both male and female. Such pretty little birds.
ReplyDeleteSmashing looking birds.
ReplyDeleteI agree! Most excellent sighting. I have yet to find this bird. Here in Arizona, they are very rare, but one day I cross my fingers that I'll hear and see one running around just like you did:) And it is sad what's going on with their populations around the country. Hope they make a comeback.
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos of the Bob White, I haven't had the pleasure to see them. My Gamble Quail I posted are in northwestern Arizona . They are quite numerous here and not too scared of people. I have seen California quail but they always took off quite shy so no photos for me.
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni; Your BOBWHITE QUAILS are great♫♫♫ Never seen them, except eating little eggs we can buy p:-)
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for my belated comment, I'm finally catching up to visiting friends.
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*