Bird on the Brain...aka POOP


The day before the Holiday Weekend began, Thursday last week, I found myself walking along the salt flats of Charlie's Pasture [North] by the ship channel. It was amazing to see so little water in the area compared to the week before where some spots were 'deep' in water; dried up this time 'round. Doesn't take long when the hot Texas sun comes out and heats up the land. There were a few birds tho, with the likes of dunlins in their summer garb, dozens of black necked stilts making a terrible ruckus and defending their territory by flapping their wings and flying to a dry patch of land acting injured. I'm not sure if it was for MY intrusion or perhaps a snake was lurking in the sea grasses. I just can't say.  More birds seen were tri-colors, several species of sandpipers, a couple of spoonbills, one lone horned lark and a snowy egret. I stopped along the way several times to photograph. Upon leaving the area, walking back to the pavilion, I was watching a huge cargo ship heading out to the Gulf Waters. But, I nonchalantly stepped over a 'messy' area on the boardwalk [birding area, so the messy part I'm sure you get my gist]...without giving it much thought. Then, it 'hit me'. No...not the poop... "That looked a lot like a bird!! I must go back and get a photo of that, or no one would believe me!" Here it is:


I swear...sometimes, I have bird on the brain!!
Is it a duck?
An egret?
I'm thinking duck...but what kind?

I know, I know, it's not either...
LOL


...Moving on. The main reason we went to Port Aransas on this day was to eventually head to the Jetties on the ship channel. Reports of hundreds of Black Terns on the beach instigated our drive to Mustang Island! We ended up there to get some photos but while walking along the north pasture preserve, I'll share some birds seen there, first:
[all photos shared today are from Charlie's Pasture North in Port Arnasas, Texas unless otherwise noted]

DUNLIN
Breeding Plumage [summer plumage]
Habitat Range Map: Dunlin

SEMIPALMATED PLOVER
Habitat Range Map: Semipalmated Plover

TRI-COLORED HERON
Habitat Range Map: Tri-colored Heron

I thought this Stilt looked dapper in its "Tuxedo"





BLACK NECKED STILT
photos taken:  'Tuxedo Poses" at Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port "A"  /  Wings spread Stilts Charlie's Pasture North - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range Map:  Black Necked Stilt





This is me on the beach...
THEN, to the jetties. As reported to me with a friend sending an email, I was literally bombarded with the sight of several hundred terns and sea gulls. The Black Terns were wide-spread among other tern species and laughing gulls!! Bud snapped a photo of me just as I walked into the 'no vehicle' zone to view the masses. I took several photos of them all, from royal terns, sandwich terns, sea gulls...but my main focus was on the Black Terns this time. The dark Summer [breeding] Plumage was evident as well !!




BLACK TERNS in dark Breeding Plumage
photos taken: Port Arnasas Beach [Jetty area] - Port "A" Texas
Habitat Range Map: Black Terns
Black Tern populations declined by 3.4 percent per year between 1966 and 2010, resulting in a cumulative decline of 78 percent, according to the North American Breeding Bird Survey. The 2014 State of the Birds Report listed them as a Common Bird in Steep Decline. A group of terns are collectively known as a "ternery" or a "U" of terns. Read more...


Now share your birding experiences:








For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

22 comments:

  1. I must have the same kind of imagination as you as I can see a duck of some sorts. Love all the various photos you are sharing this week, so many are birds we don't see up here. I'm sharing how to make my own hanging mesh feeder this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went back to get the poop scoop! It does look like a bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni, Great collection of birds and photos.. I love the cute Plover and the Stilts. The Black Terns have been on my wish list of want to see birds. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is another blog full of beautiful birds :-)
    What does Mother Earth than many different residents huh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. too funny on nature's art. :) LOVE the black terns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely an albino Northern Shoveler ))). Love your real birds too, esp the terns in a plumage I've never noticed . Oh yeah and the stilts, I love those guys. My birds aren't very pretty this week, but they are doing their job and you gotta give em credit for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pondering which dirty bird left it's mark?
    Great, great photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how observant you are, Anni! It makes you a great birder and such an interesting person! Wonderful shots, as always. I hope the large tern sighting is a signal that they are increasing in numbers. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful series and variety of bird images.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Bird Brain. It's a common complaint but pretty harmless Anni so don't worry about it. I can't imagine seeing all those Back Terns as we just get less than a handful of them here in NW England, and only when the weather blows from the east in spring or autumn. It's nice to see your stilts, same as ours in being so noisy and often argumentative.

    Thanks for the birding party again Anni.By the way when I click on "Comment" it sometimes disappears for a second or two - is this me or blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eye-popping images of the Black Terns! The Dunlin is so brightly colored too. Funny-- I go to your page and scrolled down without noticing the title and saw the first photo. My immediate impression was that you were experimenting with a new filter with wood grain, and that it was a stylized photo of a merganser (because of the bill shape). Very perceptive. Now you must try this with tea leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am cracking up at your bird poo picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pictures have a distinct personalty. That shows how passionate you're about the art of photography. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post Anni, a fun read and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, I had to laugh at the poop-bird! I've seen them in clouds and other things like that, but never poo. You are too funny. I am so impressed with your shots of the Dunlin and Stilts. I have GOT to come to your area to bird. Thank you for hosting the link-up!! Enjoy your week and watch your step. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bird poop art? Too funny. I love those long-legged Stilts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Black Terns are a bird I RARELY ever get to see. Just to hear that they are in large numbers coming through your area makes me very happy:) They are so beautiful. It sounds like a fun trek out. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great series Anni, and the poop art made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe I forgot to link in this week! I think I am going to start linking to you first and then adding WBW because doing it the other way around is messing me up. :-) So I will link both posts this time and get things going in the right "direction."

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, I would love to see the Black tern. Really nice shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Funny! That poop really does look like a bird. Love all your gorgeous shots.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Anni, thanks so much for popping over to my blog to visit. That's how I found your lovely and interesting blog. Your photos are wonderful. I am a huge fan of birds, but I wouldn't call myself a birder. I just like to have feeders and birdhouses out and sit and watch them building their nests and enjoying their busy lives. Yesterday morning you would have found me with a long handled scrub brush and the water hose cleaning our side of the neighbor's fence. The birds have been having a ball creating art there. She (my neighbor) gifted me with five rubber snakes this spring. I have them hanging in the apricot trees over our garden table and chairs. They have been great in keeping the birds from pooping on our picnic area and hopefully they won't eat my apricots this year. I also put two in the grape vines, but a week later I had to hunt them down and move them. The grapes grow so fast that the snakes were hind. Last year I watched and waited for them to be ripe enough to pick and then they were gone :) I'm a senior gal, too . . . enjoying life and finding so much to praise God for in each and every day. I am also your newest follower. I do hope that you will return the favor and follow me back. I love making new friends with common interests.
    Have a lovely weekend. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better through your lovely posts.
    Cornie :)

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents