On the back side of our port of call, between the ships' channel and the Nueces River, a highway meanders between. There is sometimes, depending on the time of year and the amount of water found in the ponds and playas [dried up flat wetlands] along the way, a lot of bird life. On this particular Sunday morning recently, we drove the eight mile stretch and stopped just short of the interstate junction. Different bird species were spotted in high numbers...great egret, snowy egret, white ibis, spoonbills, mottled ducks, fulvous tree ducks.
I won't talk much today...just showing a lot of photos - - - -
I won't talk much today...just showing a lot of photos - - - -
Stopping at the lake:
Mid summer to late summer, if you know where to go, Wood Storks are plentiful!
I spotted a Fulvous Tree Duck [aka Fulvous Whistling Duck] on the muddy banks, hidden partially by the cattail/reed grasses. They're a scarce breed, so I was kinda excited. Then to my amazement, a whole family appeared in the water! They swam so quickly, and soon to disappear behind the other side that is most always inaccessible, I didn't want to mess with my zoom, so the family of eight ducklings is seen only from a distance.
While I was following the duck family, I noticed an immature white ibis flying overhead! I changed the lens focus to above me, and snapped the photo while it soared silently and disappeared into the sunlight like the ending of an epic western movie....riding flying off into the sunset "THE END"
STORK, EGRETS, IBIS, DUCKS
photos taken: Navigation Highway -Northeast of Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat maps: Wood Stork, White Ibis, Snowy Egret, Great Egret, Fulvous Tree Duck, Roseate Spoonbill, Mottled Duck
Now share your birding experiences:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:





















I love those snowy egrets. I see them around the neighbor's pond sometimes, and if I'm lucky I'll see one flying overhead.
ReplyDelete....yes, but egrets just don't compare to your 16 bluebirds at one time!!
DeleteFantastic photos Anni. You've got the right idea here. It's so bloody hot outside right now that stopping along the watering holes is a much better idea than suffering long walks. In fact, today we are going to sit in the shade and just watch birds. I do not like the summer temps so hopefully, they will get better as we close in on September:) Fantastic birds. The Fulvous is a beautiful duck.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely has been hot!! Just like Southern AZ in the monsoon season here [only no rain...but plenty of humidity] Drive by shootings are the best way to bird about now...at least, as you say, as we close in on September.
DeleteSuch variety of sightings this week, most are ones we don't see up here.
ReplyDeleteWell, then, I'm glad you stopped by to 'find' some 'new' birds to see!!!
DeleteLove that you saw the Fulvous Ducks---such warm colors.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, and they are a reclusive duck, so a special treat for me too.
DeleteLooks like you stopped in the right places Anni. For me all the herons. storks and egrets would keep me occupied and busy for hours. They are all so darned photogenic and to see dozens together would be just mind blowing. I'd use a full SD card I swear.
ReplyDeleteSorry I can't send you any wagtails but I'll try and get you more pictures.
Have a great week Anni and Bud.
Great!!! I never tire of seeing those cute wagtails.
DeleteAnd I can understand using the card to full capacity. It's easy to do.
Awesome post and photos, Anni! I love all the birds, especially the Fulvous Whistling Ducks. Thank you for hosting, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteThank YOU Eileen.
Deleteawesome gatherings!
ReplyDeleteI like your reference to 'gatherings'!!
Delete...and thank YOU for adding your link today Andy.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. You picked the right spots to provide us with a plethora of birdlife. I'd love to spend time with that many Egrets etc.
ReplyDeleteIt's a 'hidden' treasure, :-)
DeleteVery cool collection Anni. I love the wood storks and whistling ducks. What a lucky find. I hope you're doing well. :)
ReplyDeleteI see you've been busy too Shey!!! Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!
DeleteThanks Anni. I'm glad you're doing well. :)
DeleteHannah is adorable!!!
DeleteFantastic photos! A wonderland of birds!
ReplyDeleteOMG! These sightings and photos are more than great!!!...:)JP
ReplyDeleteThanks....loved your video today.
DeleteCertainly eight miles worth meandering, Anni! Wonderful series of captures, I loved the Fulvous Tree Duck! Have a wonder-filled week!
ReplyDelete...thanks. Have a great week yourself!!
Deletewow, so many in that short period of time. I envy you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting!
Come on over...we can bird together!!!
DeleteWow! So many wood storks and spoonbills. I've only seen 1 spoonbill in the wild. And that was just a flash of pink.
ReplyDeleteSpoonbills thrive in our area of Texas.
DeleteOh how I wish I could stop there!!! You sure hit the jackpot.
ReplyDeleteIndeed...sometimes the 'sign' says no vacancy...that day was on of those days. Thanks Rose.
DeleteWhat a fantastic number of birds. I loved seeing the young ibis in flight. Have a great week Anni :)
ReplyDeleteWow, these are awesome shots, Anni- looks like you had a lot of fun bird-watching!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week!
Nice!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnni, your photos are amazing. I love the one of the Wood Storks. I have yet to see one in real life. I see you still have a lot of egrets and ibises. A wonderful, varied collection! Sorry I have nothing to offer this week.
ReplyDeletethese images areall stunning, some with great reflections as well.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteI'm back online after the bustle of my move.
You show again beautiful pictures of these herons and ducks.
I still find it a very strange face that pink spoonbills with you but I find them pracjtig to see.
Good Morning Anni! I'm just sitting here in awe of your incredible photographs! Each one is amazing and theyall could make into a wonderful magazine spread! Oh my heavens, you got some stunning shots!!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful day!
Nancy