I will be in and out today, so I am posting early to make sure it works properly before I leave. The linking tool is scheduled for the NOON hour as always!!
I'm not 100% sure about one. It's definitely a sandpiper! And it definitely was spotted on a mudflat here in town as described in my bird guide books where they're commonly spotted. I'm temporarily ID'ing it as a WESTERN Sandpiper [according to my Texas Bird Record Chart it's rare in the Summer months here...yet these two were spotted the last week in July!!] With referencing and online research, there are three distinct 'tell-tale' features to look for...one: The rufous coloring of the scapulars, two: the longer, slightly down-curved beak, and three: the lanky shape of the body overall. Any expert opinions will be greatly appreciated.
I'm not 100% sure about one. It's definitely a sandpiper! And it definitely was spotted on a mudflat here in town as described in my bird guide books where they're commonly spotted. I'm temporarily ID'ing it as a WESTERN Sandpiper [according to my Texas Bird Record Chart it's rare in the Summer months here...yet these two were spotted the last week in July!!] With referencing and online research, there are three distinct 'tell-tale' features to look for...one: The rufous coloring of the scapulars, two: the longer, slightly down-curved beak, and three: the lanky shape of the body overall. Any expert opinions will be greatly appreciated.
WESTERN SANDPIPER
photo taken: Hans Suter Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range map: Western Sandpiper
The 2nd 'new' bird I spotted was a family [adults & juveniles] of Black Crested Titmouse. The Tufted Titmouse is not the same as the Black Crested!! Tufted has a lighter, grayer, crest while the Black Crested is obviously adorned with BLACK!! Both species are found in Texas. From Cornell Lab:
- The Black-crested Titmouse hybridizes with the Tufted Titmouse where their ranges overlap in central Texas. They were considered the same species for a while, but they are distinct genetically and vocally. Differences in mitochondrial DNA suggest that the Black-crested Titmouse and Tufted Titmouse diverged about 250,000 years ago.
BLACK CRESTED TITMOUSE
photos taken: Hazel Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas
habitat map: Black Crested Titmouse
The third bird is in a way, 'new'. I've seen hundreds of Crested Caracaras while birding, but always adults and usually in pairs. While we were at a local city park I spotted a juvenile caracara! And it was very attractive. The juvenile is much more subtle in markings. Where the adult has black, the juvenile has a beautiful brown! The white areas on the adult are a rich, pretty, cream color with the juveniles. Its legs are gray as the adults' legs are yellow. And the orange beak of the adult is a salmon-pink on the young!



CRESTED CARACARA [Juvenile]
photos taken: Hans Suter Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Crested Caracara
Now share your birding experiences:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:









Hi Anni This post has a narvvellous variety of birds images. I particulary like the last shot Have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeletealways love spotting the caracara. congrats on the black-crested! neat!
ReplyDeleteCaracara - neat. The titmouse shows up here for winter feeding.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots. You find so many interesting birds.
ReplyDeleteI would love to see the caracara--that will probably never happen. Your Black Crested titmouse looks like it might be bigger than ours...something to look up after while if I remember!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your newbies! The Crested Caracara is my favorite, cool bird. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteWhat an odd beak on the young Caracara. Young or old they're new to me.
ReplyDeleteThe juveniles make it a challenge to identify many birds. But it's so much fun to see them. We're still watching 2 nests of ducks that haven't hatched yet. We are getting anxious! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteWonderful pics again Anni. That juvenile Crested Caracas is such a pretty bird.
ReplyDeletelove the coloration on the WESTERN SANDPIPER, It is a beautiful wader :)
ReplyDeleteAnd both the titmouse and the caracara are gret in their own ways. Interesting note of the titmouse. )
After studying my "Crossley" I too am sure your wader is a Western Sandpiper Anni. A nice find!
ReplyDeleteOf course you know i would love to see a Caracara also but if pushed i'd sooner see a Western Sandpiper.
Thanks for inviting me along to your birding blog today. Have a great week you both.
What truly wonderful encounters! Love that you found two totally new birds, and one juvenile of one you've seen many times before. I had never heard of a black-crested titmouse! The caracara photos are awesome! Love them all!
ReplyDeleteP.S. My husband confiscated Wesley the Owl to read first! :-) He's loving it! :-)
I LOVE getting to see the variety of birds you are seeing! So glad I found your blog!!
ReplyDeleteAnni, interesting birds. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen a juvenile caracara. It does have quite a soft look about it. Can't help with the sandpiper but your analysis seems dead on. Wish I had more experience with them but not many come into my neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your two new spottings! Along with the juvie Caracara. Love the colors in the Sandpipers. I've not seen any of these birds and would be thrilled as punch to have that opportunity. Sorry I don't have any birds to share this week. Hopefully I'll have something next week. It's too hot to shoot, but maybe I can do an archive dive. :)
ReplyDeleteI agree on the Western Sandpiper ID. Sandpipers are always fun to ID:) Your other birds are sublime. One, the BCTI, would be a lifer!
ReplyDeletei always enjoy your shots. hope you are well. can i pick your brain for a moment. where do you make your watermarks? i have had some recent complaints my mine & i was just wanting to prevent people using my shots. i know you would understand that considering you do the same to your photos. using a watermark i mean. please advise, i would love your comments. thank you. take care. is your Texas weather ok? rainy here in VA. ( :
ReplyDeleteUnas imágenes fantásticas, muy bonitas. Me ha gustado mucho tu blog, enhorabuena. Saludos cordiales desde España.
ReplyDeletehttp://faunacompacta.blogspot.com.es/