Island Birding...Conclusion...


To conclude my solo excursion from a couple of weeks ago, from Leonabelle Turnbull's Nature Center I then drove to Paradise Pond in the little fishing village of Port Aransas.  To my surprise I was the only one there at the moment I arrived. The first of the two birds I spotted was a great tailed grackle and a ladder-backed woodpecker.


It was reported the day before I stopped here that there was a Bullock's Oriole in the area. I saw ONE oriole hidden behind large fully leafed branches, but even through the binoculars I couldn't make a positive ID, and it all too soon flew off into the heavy wooded area. Turning the corner to head to the pond, I was greeted by several perching immature Black Crowned Night Herons.



...and several ADULT B C night herons:



As I walked around along the elevated walkway, I spotted a Loggerheaded Shrike, a Little Green Heron, an unidentified yellow warbler that didn't perch anywhere close to me which I was unable to follow and get a photo, a tri-colored heron [not shown], a mama duck and some of her teenaged offspring,  a turkey vulture, a cardinal, an immature common gallinule [moorhen], a great blue heron perched atop a power pole.




As much as I liked the solitude, the quiet, the early morning, the heat was beginning to make it quite uncomfortable in the swampy atmosphere, so I turned to leave to head back home. As I reached the corner on the walk near the car, I spotted something! Flying fast and furious, circling the banks of the pond!  By the time I attempted to get a photo of it in flight, it was no longer in my sight! I stood for a while, beginning to sweat profusely, waiting and willing it to return in full view. It did. AND IT FOUND A TREE BRANCH ...giving me a chance to push the shutter button. Far across the pond it sat for a few minutes before flying off into the blue once again. A BELTED KINGFISHER. The belted kingfisher's wingspan/body length is estimated: (wing)-23 inches/58 cm ... (body)-14 inches/35 cm.  This is a male.  With this species, it's opposite of the bird kingdom...the FEMALE is the larger AND the brighter colored.  The female Belted Kingfisher has an extra 'stripe' on its breast...a rufous/orange stripe below the blue/gray band like the one I photographed HERE.  The male has only the blue/gray...




I had a fruitful outing. To top it off, as I drove toward Corpus Christi, along the island highway, I spotted what are most always sitting along the highway each time we travel the road, a White Tailed Hawk. But this time, instead of 'just sitting there'...it was showing off!! I pulled over on the highway's shoulder with weekend traffic zipping by... and got some photos.  I'll share those photos another time!





Now share your birding experiences:






For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:


or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

27 comments:

  1. love the night herons and great kingfisher shots, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the woodpecker and the herons are wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love to be first out on the trail. No one else has disturbed the birds. First is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome sightings and post Anni! I love the BC Night Heron and the Kingfisher. Great post, thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting, Anni! I had an experience with a little yellow bird today, which also didn't allow me a picture. Think it might have been a warbler also... next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you captured some really wonderful images. the one great thing about winter is no leaves getting in the way of what would be. i LOVE the kingfisher, i have never seen one (in real life)!!!

    many thanks for hosting and have a wonderful sunday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That certainly was time well spent. GREAT pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful outing you had with a gret variety of birdds found and it is marvellous that the Kingfisher came back and you got these great shots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm another one who likes to be there first. It's amazing how much more there is to see and hear before all the world and his dog come along.

    Those young Night Herons do have a great look about them, sort of subtle and fluffy in comparison to the strong colours of the adults.

    A fruitful outing indeed Anni, especially when you got those great pictures of the Belted Kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bom dia, excelente fotorreportagem das lindas aves, revelam na perfeição toda a sua beleza.
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great set of photos!!! What a nice mixture of bird types.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Anni!:) Fabulous photos of both the imature and adult B H Night Herons, and the Kingfisher,-- what a bónus. I'm afraid my post was a bit cheeky. not much substance, but I think you are right, it is an Egyption Goose, and I hadn't realized it until you mentioned it.
    Cheers Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  13. -`✺´-
    Passei para uma visita.
    Imagens lindas, cheias de detalhes.
    Gostei muito da primeira e da segunda fotos.
    É incrível a sintonia da garça noturna com o ambiente!!!


    Uma boa semana, cheia de surpresas agradáveis!
    Beijinhos.
    -`✿´-

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni, great Paradise Pond photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Kingfisher, and a lot.

    I wish I was in Port Aransas! My parents were going to take a trip there but now we're stuck watching my brother's dogs... again... while they're in Europe. The PA trip was canceled. I, myself, haven't been to the beach in decades. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures! Captured many moods of the birds splendidly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic collection of photos !!! Always nice to see these beautiful birds !!
    Have a nice Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  18. lots of great birds again. The BC Night Heron is a great bird and nice to see young ones. And I love that little cheerful Kingfisher :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. As I told Margaret, you, too, have telephoto eyes to see all these wonderful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, spectacular birds Anni, always grateful that I can see your super photos. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks s much for hosting Anni and for the wonderful birds and Port A memories ... Love it all so much. Sorry to be so late coming to look and thank.... As you may notice from my link above I was in a little bit of hurry on a very busy Saturday... I didn't notice how badly my iPad screwed up what I typed in the linkup. Stupid iPad never seems to learn how to correct my mistakes, no matter how many chances I give I ;)))!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was certainly a productive day of birding. This morning I had the same problem trying to ID the warblers as they ducked into dense foliage here in Illinois. It was great that the kingfisher gave you a nice photo op. Look forward to seeing the White-tailed Hawk, a species I only have seen a couple of times during my excursions into south Texas when I lived in Dallas, before 1992. Like Sallie I am using my iPad. I lost server all day today but finally can catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that Woodpecker and the Herons.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful to see all these birds. My birds come in winter weather at the turn. Now just butterflies, mushrooms, dragonflies and other small stuff.

    You pictures of the woodpecker and various herons are really beautiful to see.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great set of pictures - I love woodpeckers (as I am sure I have mentioned before!), so its nice to see one!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents