Yes, more heron and gull chicks, they're so darned cute....but I do have another 'special' bird, so skim on down, you'll see!!
For a couple of weekends now, I've posted photos [here and here] taken on three trips to a small town on the coast...Rockport, Texas. For days on end, I faithfully watched the TXBirds forum for repeated postings of a pelagic bird that was spotted in that vicinity near the town's beach park. Several times, those that posted about spotting it gave very vague coordinates for those of us who wanted to get a photo of the rare occurrence. Twice Bud and I drove and parked/walked/searched for several hours before returning home without seeing. Another time I went alone. Again, without luck. Then, a few days later, I said to Bud "I'm gonna go back for the 4th time, you wanna come with me?" "We could stop at the bookstore by the marina afterwards?" Well, with the promise of perusing a book store, Rockport's BOOK NOOK, Bud was ready in a jiffy!! We arrived, parked the car near a picnic table, in the shade and I walked to the area with the tri-color heron families and the tons of hatching/fledgling laughing gulls and royal terns off in the distance. I climbed the observation deck to view through the lens, the "Little Bay" rookery.
For a couple of weekends now, I've posted photos [here and here] taken on three trips to a small town on the coast...Rockport, Texas. For days on end, I faithfully watched the TXBirds forum for repeated postings of a pelagic bird that was spotted in that vicinity near the town's beach park. Several times, those that posted about spotting it gave very vague coordinates for those of us who wanted to get a photo of the rare occurrence. Twice Bud and I drove and parked/walked/searched for several hours before returning home without seeing. Another time I went alone. Again, without luck. Then, a few days later, I said to Bud "I'm gonna go back for the 4th time, you wanna come with me?" "We could stop at the bookstore by the marina afterwards?" Well, with the promise of perusing a book store, Rockport's BOOK NOOK, Bud was ready in a jiffy!! We arrived, parked the car near a picnic table, in the shade and I walked to the area with the tri-color heron families and the tons of hatching/fledgling laughing gulls and royal terns off in the distance. I climbed the observation deck to view through the lens, the "Little Bay" rookery.
I stopped to talk with several other birders and we all chatted about the specific bird we all wanted to find. "Have you seen it today?" "Where?" "When?" "Oh it was here about 15 minutes ago, and then left." "Yesterday it was clear over on the other side of the beach." "Just minutes ago, it swooped down, landed on the silver leaf sunflowers and dipped down to the ground level to disappear."
Back by the car, with Bud, I sat atop the picnic table with my binoculars focused on the very vast sunflower patch. Watching, watching, watching. I told Bud I was gonna take another walk-about, toward the other side of the beach, hoping it may be THERE.
I walk about 1/2 mile from where Bud stayed to watch for it by the car, and just as I was taking my cellphone out to get a photo of a baby gull and its parent, the texts started coming in rapidly. It was Bud. "It's HERE!" "Come Quick!" I did an about face and walked quick as my little legs could go without looking funny trying to run... hoping it would stay there long enough for me to use my camera's zoom. More texts..."Where are you?" "It's gonna leave before you get here!" "Hurry!"
I got there, a crowd of birders was on the park road, with cameras aimed and spotting scopes focused. Bud was right there with them all, making use of his binoculars. He motioned for me by circling his arms in a "Move Faster Anni" motion.
I spied it. Right where Bud Pointed. In the sunflower field, on top of a plant stem....preening.

As I stood there, watching it through the lens, I clicked the zoom to full-out and snapped some more. Altho, it didn't quite cooperate and give us birders a 'full view' while preening, it did stay there for 30 minutes...or more. I say "more" 'cause when we left after taking dozens of photos, it was still there!! The pelagic bird that was capturing everyone's interest? A Sooty Tern!
- While most terns inhabit marshes and shores, the Sooty Tern has the life of a true seabird. A long-winged flier, it wanders tropical oceans, nesting on remote islands. If you click on the habitat map link, you'll find that they are only considered VAGRANT on the mainland. And very rare in Texas!!


We got our water bottles out and celebrated by quenching our thirst with the icy drinks. We boarded the car, cranked up the engine and moseyed out of the park grounds...Afterall, we had to get to the bookstore!!
SOOTY TERN
photos taken: Rockport Texas
habitat map: Tern
Now, share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
A Sooty Tern! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteHave a beautiful week-end!
Lea
Wonderful shots! A rare bird is the most FUN! And your pictures are just stupendous! I think my favorite of all is the first collage bottom right. He is so MAD, maybe telling someone off! I also love the shot just above it...hard to choose a favorite from these beautiful shots.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, congrats on your Sooty Tern sighting. Wonderful photos. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteThat is one excellent bird, and so lucky to have it perched in a tree! Congrats!!!
ReplyDeleteWOW - Methinks you outdid yourself this time, girl! Gorgeous shots and beautiful birds (VERY nicely done :o)
ReplyDeleteI am just so pleased Bud got to the book store before they closed. I loved you latest story of suspense and intruige Anni and I loved those pictures of the Sooty tern even more. It's a wonderful bird to see (so I'm told).One day maybe.
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday to you botth.
PS, I just wanted to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteYour header is so beautiful! And of course, you had another great week of birding. As always.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Bud got the message to you! What a beautiful sight...I know you were BOTH excited! And a book store too? Sounds like a perfect day! Thanks for the party my friend. Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteBrilliant mosaic of the birds Anni.
ReplyDeletecongrats on the sooty tern, how exciting and i love how you celebrated!! you mosaic's are quite beautiful, it sounds like it was a wonderful day!! i linked in 2 posts because i am a terrible blogging friend and i always forget about your meme, i am sincerely sorry!!! xo
ReplyDeletethe Sooty tern is such a beautiful bird. the shape and graphic look is amazing. Here I am envy of you :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your Sooty Tern, Anni!
ReplyDeleteP.S. "without looking funny trying to run..." - I don't worry about that anymore. At least I can still run!
~
Good work on Bud's part! Love that header image!
ReplyDeleteDear Anni,
ReplyDeletethank you for your visit to me and your request my kestrels in your Challenge to show.
I am happy to have done that.
I have noted your project. maybe I can often be there.
Your collagen me the birds are great, you have a wonderful hobby.
All the best for the future.
Best Regards
Hi Anni
ReplyDeleteWonderful series bird photos.
Photo 3 and 6 are my favorite.
Best regards, Irma
Anni, the Sooty Tern what a fabulous find. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. You are to be commended for your resilience and patience, with Bud's help of course, that enabled you to get those pics of the rare Sooty Tern.
ReplyDeleteglad your diligence paid off!
ReplyDeleteAnni, when I started birding over 10 years ago one of the first birds I saw was the VERY rare Sooty Tern adn it has never been back here since. Great sighting for you.
ReplyDeleteYay! Congrats on seeing the Sooty Tern! Great pictures!! I am glad your husband joins with you on some outings, tho sometimes you must 'reward' him... I have the same method with mine! Ha!
ReplyDeleteGreat!!!!!!So pleased your persistence was successful! And Bud difinately needed a bookstore reward after helping spy the sooty tern. BTW, how is your step count coming along?
ReplyDeleteThat was a fun read, and when I saw the pictures, I got why you were all so excited. It's a very cool bird! I love the little gull, too.
ReplyDelete