Last week I posted about a morning walk around Pollywog Ponds with photos of a Pied Billed Grebe, "Foot Shipping". Within a few day's time I made a return trip since it was the day before a storm front was to move into the area. I was hoping for a few 'different' birds. Well, I was more than happy to see what I saw. In fact one bird was a total surprise! A new bird!! I was on my way out of the area, walking back to where I parked the car about a mile away. And to be honest, I almost walked right on by it without noticing it perched in the tree across the feeder ditch from the larger pond. It was only about 30 feet from me and barely moving a muscle. I stopped and watched it for a few seconds, trying to identify it 'cause it was one I hadn't seen before, then realized I should attempt taking a photo of it! As I raised my camera to focus, I was sure it'd fly off without any success in recording it on 'film'. But, it remained. And after several minutes of taking photos and wracking my brain [visualizing the bird guides I have at HOME] to ID it, I finally realized it was a VAGRANT Hawk!! One that should not be in MY area, [in fact its habitat is but a very small area of west Texas-more or less the mountain ranges instead of coastal areas...and very little area of USA altogether - mostly in Mexico]. Yet there it was...all primed and beautiful!!! The hawk? A ZONE TAILED Hawk!! The most distinct IDing marks are the color, the tail [one white stripe], and the slight rufous eye-ring. I zoomed in on the tail at one point for further referencing when I returned home. And it, the zone-tailed hawk, was confirmed by an online birding forum. Woo-hoo!! I still can't fathom my luck that it didn't leave the vicinity...perhaps it was still digesting its prey and too heavy to fly away at that particular time...




ZONED TAILED HAWK
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Hawk
- - -
Also, that very day, in the same 'neck of the woods', I spied two other birds rarely seen. At least for me. The two other birds were....
...one spotted at a far distance across the small tributary of the Nueces River...the small white 'speck' in the center of the first photo. I zoomed in on it. The only other I've spotted of this species was in the same area, but the male. Long ago.



GREEN KINGFISHER [female]
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Kingfisher
...One species I saw [for the 2nd time only since I've been birding] was another 'fluke of nature'! I had crossed the feeder ditch bridge at one point 'cause I thought I heard an owl in the distance? I first thought it was too late in the day for them to be making any calls, but it was still worth the effort to find out. I followed the song. I saw no owl, but, what I did see when I was focusing through my binoculars into the high tree, my peripheral vision caught sight of a black bird silently flying to a nearby tree across the pathway. I glanced over thinking it was a Grackle...but nope...a Groove Billed Ani!! And there were four of them flitting around. I followed one with my lens before they disappeared deeper in the wooded area.

GROOVE BILLED ANI
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Ani
Now, share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
What a great day you had! I had to travel far and wide for those three species-- to the Lower Rio Grande Valley and northern Arizona. Wonderful finds and beautifully documented!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your Zone Tailed Hawk and other finds, Anni.
ReplyDeleteI'm just trying to get some decent shots of my usual porch bird crowd before I have to head back to D.C. (in about 1 hour).
~
unknown birds today :) Goodlooking hawk I can´t remember seeing before and the same applies for the Ani. The kingfisher I think I have seen :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds and amazing shots !!
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend !
Good for you! He certainly is big, black and majestic. You never know what you're going to discover in the great outdoors.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness Anni, what incredible sightings, of birds I could never hope to see in the wild. The Zoned Tailed Hawk is magnificent, and the Green Kingfisher is a striking beauty, and beautifully photographed too. What a stroke of luck to see three uncommon birds on the same day.
ReplyDeleteThat hawk would have been a mystery bird for me! How beautiful and unusual he is! Love that Kingfisher too. So many neat birds that we never see here! WOW! Enjoy your weekend. Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteall 3 very, very cool!
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni! The Hawk is an awesome sighting and great shots of the Kingfisher. Wonderful birds and sightings. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of your most impressive posts ever! LOVE that fat grooved bill. And the hawk is superb! I have never seen a black one! Awesome Kingfisher shots too. WHAT a day of birding! Seems like some of them find you, instead of you finding them. It is also all about BILLS today! One very sharp and hooked, one long and pointed for fishing, and one fat and grooved! Love them all!
ReplyDeleteWow! Great spottings and captures, Anni!
ReplyDeleteYour Zone Tailed Hawk is just incredible! What an awesome sighting! Beautiful photos, Anni! Love the kingfisher, too...such neat coloration, and the Groove Billed Ani. As someone said, you hit the jackpot!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a very successful expedition!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. I think you really hit the jackpot with those three birds. They are species I've rarely seen here on the Internet blogs etc. You must be as we say, "chuffed" with finding those. I really like the Green Kingfisher and can imagine how it can remain unseen in vegetation until a clued up birder arrives.
ReplyDeleteThe hawk close-ups are really exceptional. I can't think that I've ever gotten as close to any bird of prey as they are just so wary of man.
Problem is, how you going to follow that trio?
Have fun finding out.
Beautiful series of pictures of the Hawk and the Kingfisher
ReplyDeleteGroove-.
Perfect photographed, my compliments.
Best regards, Irma
What a wonderful birding experience! Wonderful birds! I wish you a wonderful sunday!
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job spotting the Kingfisher!
ReplyDeleteLove your photos!
Thanks for sponsoring this meme
Hope you are having a wonderful week-end!
I have no birds to share this week but hope you'll come join the party at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/09/orchids-other-worldly.html
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni; Of course, the Hawk is awesome but I was really impressed by the green kightfisher. Such unique black and white bird with long beak♫♫♫ Do we need to have more nature to enjoy seeing varieties of them... (♡^.^♡)
ReplyDeleteSending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
Anni, Green Kingfisher, a new bird for me. Thanks for sharing your bird photos.
ReplyDeleteYou found beautiful and fascinating birds for today Anni. It is such a pleasure to visit. Not only do I love your photos but I also enjoy your narrative. It is the next best thing to being there. Thank you Anni and have a great week.
ReplyDeleteWow, this was an exciting post - birds that I've never seen, but also sharing your excitement in being able to capture these rarely-sighted birds on film. I think the kingfisher is my favourite. Thank you for sharing with us!
ReplyDeleteMarvellous to see these birds and wonderful shotsof them Anni
ReplyDeleteWow! What sharp eyes you have, Grandma! Great job, Anni. Too many track meets, soccer & football games to have time for birding.
ReplyDeleteWow!! I love them all! I will probably never see such birds, so am living vicariously through you! Awesome captures!! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteOh My GOODNESS a Zone Tailed Hawk how amazingly wonderful a surprise that had to be and what GREAT photographs. I am a tiny bit envious. I will be late, but I will always try and make my way by the end of each week. My laptop is worthless and I share this desktop with my husby and so I take the time to get there as soon as I can. Thank you for your very warm welcome. It is great to be back~ Hugs
ReplyDeleteWhat a WONDERFUL day for capturing birds on film! Your photos are absolutely stunning! Congratulations on these beautiful shots! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures
ReplyDelete