I had a post all composed and pre-scheduled to publish already on the same subject/bird with my first not so good photos, and decided to re-do the whole thing! The bird I'm going to show today is one I've been 'chasing' for well over a month. After several trips to Mustang Island, without spotting it within camera range, I'd have to say the 6th time is a charm!!! On the fifth attempt I found it and took photos of it from such a distance the camera I had with me didn't have enough zoom. From the observation tower where I stood to where the bird was was nearly 1 mile away. Down on the boardwalk, I couldn't see it at all because of the tall reed grasses. I opted to take some photos, but they didn't have the clarity I'd prefer. "If I have another chance some other time, I'll be sure to have my other camera with me. Hopefully it'll have moved for better viewing without obstructions."




Normal Vision
The small white 'dot' in the highlighted box is the bird
Taken on the 5th sighting from the tower
Then, I returned two days later with better lighting and my zoom lens. Wishing it'd still be there....it was! The very same area!! I climbed the tower once again. And this time, it was out in the open water instead of half hidden, chowing down on its food within the reed.
I took more photos, utilizing my zoom lens. Still, they're not exceptional quality, but I have a better 'record' of its sighting...




A little history of this bird...it's an escapee from the Wichita Kansas Zoo. They tagged it upon arrival some 11 years ago... [look closely, you can see its green leg banding/ring on its lower right leg], ...and before they had the opportunity to clip its wings, it 'flew the coop' to never return. For years it has made Texas its home [some 700 miles from KS.]. READ the NEWSPAPER story online HERE. It's not albino as some excited birders have stated at the refuge while I've been there...my goodness, you can tell by the eye color people!! But, after a little over a decade surviving, I'd consider it a wild bird instead of captive. Anyway, it's a nearly all white -very pale pink when adult of several years- flamingo [except for the wings and beak]!! This particular one is imported from Africa, intended for the zoo's exhibit but insisted on becoming TEXAN like me. The saying goes: "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as quickly as I could!!" [their habitat range is shown with a link, below]. To be more specific, it's a GREATER FLAMINGO.
GREATER FLAMINGO
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture South - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Flamingo
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

Wow! How exciting!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, congrats on your new bird. What a cool bird it is too, awesome shots of the Flamingo. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sight to see. And great life span so far. Is it because of his diet that he is white?
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing "new Texan" that bird is. Bet the zoo was sad to lose that bird. Lucky you being so close to so many wonderful birds
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Anni, what a GREAT FLAMINGO!
ReplyDelete~
beautiful. Never heard of a flamingo in Sweden. Bet it would be croded with birders if there was one. :) The lack of color is due to the lack of some elements in it´s diet.
ReplyDelete:)
it is obviously doing very well as an escapee.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like perseverance finally paid off!
ReplyDeleteMustang Island is nice, too.
That's exciting Anni, very cool shots of this beautiful flamingo.
ReplyDeleteWow! You are one of the most determined birders I know! And it pays off! I have heard that their color depends on what they eat. You might call this an African albino Flamingo! One of your best finds!!!
ReplyDeletewhat a great sighting and beautiful captures!! i don't think i would have noticed the band, it is good to know he is doing well!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the captures! Guess it was just trying for its homelands and decided Texas would do! Hope all is well with you.
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni; OMG!!! Congratulations on this wonderful photographs of flamingo☆☆☆ How amazing to see the distance (normal vision) ♫♫♫ Oh, I also wondered if the bird (escapee, hope this word works p:-) found Texas substitute of homeland(♡^.^♡)
ReplyDeleteI wish you are have a wonderful weekend♪
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
How wonderful that he was there when you went back! Good work!
ReplyDeleteWould you rather me wait until you change your header here to display it on SiteHoundSniffs,com and then change them both when you adopt more general themes, with Hootin' Anni's being one way and this one another?
ReplyDeleteWow! Very cool find! You have great determination, which paid off in the end! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteAnni, great find and a splendid story. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteBrill story Anni. When I saw the picture I couldn't believe a GF would fly the "wrong" way across the Atlantic as indeed you explained. I have seen them in zoos but also wild in Africa and Spain and they are a very exotic bird to see. Well done in spotting it a mile or so away.
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely week. Following your election very closely over here.
Hello Anni!:) Congratulations on your spectacular sighting, and stellar eyesight!!:)) I'm pleased that the Great Flamingo was there two days later so that you could get these great shots.
ReplyDeleteI'm a little late in visiting, as it was my youngest daughter's 53rd birthday
today, and we had a family get together at my house.
Thank you so very much for giving permission to display your header on SiteHoundSniffs.com. You can see your linked header under All, Birding/Wildlife, Photography and the United States. If you could say something (preferably good) about SiteHoundSniffs.com here and there, I would greatly appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteOh wow Anni! I'm glad you went back. I love the pictures, especially that last shot!
ReplyDeleteOh my Gosh -- how amazing and wonderful -- I'm so envious!! Thank you for being persistent and I am so glad it paid off for you (and for us; thank you for sharing). It is so fun to think of this bird flying the coop as you put it! I'm just so glad he found a warm and friendly place to hang out (as you say, a smart bird!) Thanks for this fun and interesting post -- and for hosting, as always!!!
ReplyDeleteYou had me in suspense with those distant views-- so glad you got up close to this beautiful exotic bird!
ReplyDeleteWOW ANNI, you sure don't give up and grateful to us you didn't. What a marvelous bird, and equally marvelous story that goes along with it. I LOVE that it got away. It had better things in life to accomplish. So thrilled for you to have been able to finally get closer. I am impressed by all of your shares~
ReplyDelete