Winter Birds....


I titled this post "winter" birds seen this past December, but some are considered year 'round residents here in South Texas...


EASTERN BLUEBIRD
photos taken:  Goliad, Texas
habitat map:  Bluebird


BLACK SKIMMERS
photo taken:  Hans Suter Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Skimmer


ANHINGA
photo taken:  Hans Suter Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Anhinga


GREEN KINGFISHER
photo taken:  Lion Shelly Park - Refugio, Texas
habitat map:  Kingfisher


MARSH WREN
photo taken:  Leonabelle Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Wren


GROOVE BILLED ANI
photo taken:  Oso Bay Wetlands - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Ani


YELLOW CROWNED NIGHT HERON [2nd image - juvenile]
photos taken:  Hans Suter Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Heron






Now share your birding experiences:






For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

22 comments:

  1. Great photos!
    Lovely Bluebirds and the Marsh Wren is so cute!
    Hope you are having a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You caught a cute pose for the night heron! And I love seeing the bluebirds here year round too. It's nice to live so far South to see lots of winter birds! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skimmers are gorgeous! One is shouting, and it looks like they are having a party! The Anhinga looks to be sunning his wings. The Ani looks so impressive, wish I could see a live one. The last picture of the Heron is awesome! Looks like a female guarding her eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anni, great variety of birds and photos. The blue birds are a favorite. Also the Skimmers and the Groove billed Ani.
    Thank you for hosting. Enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Anhinga, especially and that "laughing" heron! :-) But all the shots are great. Glad to be back! Hope you had an amazing Christmas, and are having a wonderful new year. We are in the house, and snow-bound but hopefully will be able to get out soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the Night heron seem to have a lot of fun :)
    The GROOVE BILLED ANI is seldom seen in blog world. Thanks for sharing it :)
    have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those bluebirds. We simply do not have them here in south Florida. Did see one robin so far this fall. Very beautiful collection of bird images!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a good photographer! Louis Dean and I saw several birds at the ranch that looked special.....one was a small bird with a really yellow underbelly you could see when he flew up. I'm not good enough to get decent photos to ask you to identify them but I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos! Is that heron laughing at you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous images and I especially thought the YELLOW CROWNED NIGHT HERON [2nd image - juvenile], hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful bluebirds.Here in Finland we don't have them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Annie,
    Wonderful array of different birds.
    Most birds have we not in the Netherlands.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning Anni. Now then, if the Bluebird is a year round bird does it maintain an insect diet throughout? Just wondering. As to the night heron, the adult sure is a healthy looking specimen. The expression of the youngster is priceless - looking for food from mom and dad maybe or just a hot day?

    Thanks for letting me join in today. And all the best for the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots all. The skimmers are especially appealing. I noticed that you asked a question on Phil Slade's blog about Bewick. I can answer that for you. Thomas Bewick (1753-1828) was an English ornithologist and engraver; the best-known English illustrator of his generation. Audubon was a great admirer of Bewick and it was Audubon who honoured Bewick by naming a wren he had shot sixteen years earlier after him. Bewick's Swan is also named after the same Thomas Bewick. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all of these shots. In the one pic, it looks like the night heron is laughing. Made me smile. Eastern Bluebirds are among my favorites to photograph. I once had a shot of one looking at himself in the truck mirror. Sadly I lost those in a computer crash. The Anhinga is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni, colorful selection. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What gorgeous photos! Thank you for hosting! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni...Google+ is causing me all kinds of issues! They no longer list someone's blog under "About" but every time I click on someone's comment, it defaults directly to Google+ then if I click on the link I saved to my sidebar it says the person's blog doesn't exist. I'm sure the same thing is happening when someone tries to link to my blog. I tried to remove Google+ in my Settings but that doesn't work entirely. All I know to try is to go through all the blogs on my sidebar and change the address to the new https: instead of the http they used to have. I have a feeling that's part of the problem. I don't know how anyone is supposed to comment on my blog, though. I feel I am losing contact with people, and it had me so upset that three posts ago I was ready to stop blogging altogether!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check your blog post in the comments....my most recent comment today, Marie. I hope that fixes it for you. Let me know.

      Delete
  19. Great collection from the Birding Capital of the US (in my opinion) -- and great photos - we do have many of these here in Florida, but I seem to have to travel more to get to them than I did when we wintered in your area. The group of skimmers is great and the juvenile and adult crowned herons is fun -- and good for people to learn more. Thanks so much for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Testing to see if my comment and profile link is Google Plus

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anni, finally getting to catch up on some visits...I love them all but the ANHINGA is one that I had never seen until two years ago when I visited my daughter and her husby in FL. Well guess what...in two weeks I will be going again... I am so excited. Have a great week my friend~

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents