All the While, I Silently Remembered My Departed Mother in Law...


...why the title?  [my mother-in-law collected owls]


If you happened to visit my personal blog last weekend,  "After Four Years Searching",  you already know that Bud and I finally found and I got photos of a long-time sought after bird.  Our ranch land and beyond the city limits travels put a lot of miles on the car hunting along South Texas County Roads. On Friday, this past week, I made eight difficult choices of the photos I did take, and had them printed out and framed for my bird sanctuary walls in our house.  I couldn't choose just one, so I bought another collage frame and picked eight of the ones we liked best. Here are some of the many photos I took...

Bud spotted the first one: "Wait...wait...back up slowly"...
This one was in a dry culvert. As soon as we stopped the car, it went further back into the darkness, and froze. I was afraid to get out and startle it. I tried to be an owl whisperer and steady its nerves by telling it I wasn't there to harm it in any way...



...still attempting to convince it I only wanted some photos and I'd be on my way, it watched my every move. Finally, I thought I'd leave it be, and walk along the opposite side of the road for a bit, looking out in the cultivated cotton fields. I spied one in full view...the whole body. Just LOOK at THOSE GOLDEN YELLOW EYES! Enough to melt anyone's cold heart. I fell in love. As I scoured the unending fields, I lost sight of the one and then saw another...I believe it was the same one that was in full view, only hiding from me in the ditch as I too left it alone...




Turning back to the car, I noticed the first one peeking over the stone, following my every step and cowering back; further hidden. All the time, my heart fluttered with the exciting opportunity to finally see this owl in real time, not just reading about it and hoping against odds of ever seeing one...




Leaving these two behind, we began driving slowly again, and for the third time, we spotted another one. It was laying down atop a different culvert, in the warm sun. We didn't get out, it was possible this time to get photos after Bud opened his window. For a while it was up on its feet, looking around...



Needless to say, it was a thrill for me! That very night, I was thinking and praying that none were done any harm out in the open...there are a LOT of COYOTES out there!!



BURROWING OWL
photos taken:  Chapman Ranch area, Corpus Christi, Texas 
habitat map:  Owl

Note: A very small owl, that is considered diurnal...meaning they are most active during the daylight hours.
Slowly becoming a rarity because of loss of habitat and farmers/ranchers getting rid of prairie dog towns. Read more HERE




Now, share your birding experiences:







For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

21 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! I know exactly how you felt. It is a wonderful thing to experience :) And, you got some great shots too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-Zers, what an amazing experience and i too know exactly how you felt. i have felt that feeling so many times!! amazing story and images!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos of the Owls peeking out at you are sweeter than the full body photos! But they are all wonderful!
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing to see more than one! It's my dream to see one this year. We hear them often on the trails we hike but have never been able to stop one. What fabulous photos you got! I'm off to look at your other blog! Happy weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I knew it was a Burrowing Owl the minute I saw it! This may be an even better find than the bittern, though not as rare. You got wonderful pictures!! And the eyes, a wonderful closeup!! His feet do look good for digging. Of course you MUST hang him in the collage! I have never seen a real one, only on T.V. and now yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes that was a thrill to find the owls and get some great photos of them. Love those eyes!! I was excited this week to finally see my first waxwing in my trees this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Burrowing Owls are wonderful! I can certainly understand your excitement. What a great sighting! And awesome photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the peeking out Owls best as you can see their face without your logo, Great shots Anni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anni!:) Oh the excitement of seeing a new bird is so thrilling. Your images are absolutely captivating. You got some incredible shots of the little darlings.

    Anni, I am having difficulty linking up with you today, because I don't know how to correct something, could you help please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Driving along, eyes peeled on posts and roadside fences is what I do to. Best early morning, when Bingo qand after all that peresevrance you hit the jackpot. Nice work Anni (and your faithful driver).

    About 6pm UK time tonight. I'll drink to you and that owl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Anni! I love these adorable owls. I have seen them here in Florida too. They are cute and fun to watch. Great sighting and photos. Thanks for hosting and for linking up your post to my critter party. Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is something so special about owls. Great that you got to see these. You have awakened my need to see Burrowing Owls. They nest not too far from my home, yet it has been over a year since I bothered to drive over to see them. I will do that and also use this as a stimulus to accomplish several other important tasks which I have been putting off for no good reason. Maybe your owls have made me a better person!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH we saw at the end you had it posted over here. Oh my cats what an adorable little owl and those eyes. I'm so happy for you. I can somewhat related to your glee. The first time I saw a Pileated woodpecker I felt very much the same way. I bet dollars to dougnuts you will be sketching this little owl very soon!
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Had to giggle a bit, oh the wild goose chasing, OK wild Burrowing Owl chasing my daughter and her husby have done with me down in Florida on past visits. You truly have captured these gems in delightful image shares and I am already green eyed, but just got more so. I love your Pelican banner image too, WOW it makes a great statement. Thank you for your encouragement, friendship and having such a great meme~

    ReplyDelete
  15. You may remember I've posted some of our population of burrowing owls -- they are much easier to find here, so we didn't really get the 'fun' of the chase that you two had. I'm sure I'll post them again this season. Aren't they the cutest things ever? They remind me of those stuffed toys that they sell in National Park gift shops (that make a bird noise when the child squeezes them). They are almost too cute to be real!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Anni, I so love these...every single one. They are just so, so cute.
    So glad you finally found them!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents