A Day in Port A


While out birding, one pond has dried up completely from lack of any measurable rainfall. But...happily I report the small park also has a drip system, and there is where the birds congregated for their water intake. Those birds were mostly permanent residents of South Texas but, as I was standing there in the area, watching those partake in foraging and drinking, a 'new' bird came in. It gave me an opportunity to get a photo of it before it disappeared in the dense tree growth...

From what I've read about this species, it's so closely related to the Bicknell's Thrush they were once considered the same bird. But, after much research and banding, this species is different in a few tell-tale markings AND their songs differ. Also, the Bicknell's Thrush keeps themselves mostly to the Atlantic shores in the USA, while the thrush I sighted in on has a migration path from parts of Northern South America to their breeding grounds in Canada and Alaska [going through the eastern 2/3s of Texas]. They normally remain quite 'hidden' in the brush while searching for food and berries that they are considered 'uncommon'. By bird population standards they're of least concern...




GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH
photo taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Thrush
In comparison, the very similar Bicknell's  LIMITED North American habitat map



Another Thrush I spotted at the watering hole was a Swainson's Thrush. These are identified by the size, the spots and the complete eye ring plus the eyebrow, giving them a 'bespectacled' feature. They are a common migrant throughout the USA.  Also note that at first I thought it could be a Louisiana Waterthrush...but the coloration and the complete eyebrow beyond the eye ring to the back of the head, and the action of bobbing the body as it walked, was lacking.


SWAINSON'S THRUSH
photo taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Thrush


Another to stop by while I was there was a beautiful bird...



CHESTNUT SIDED WARBLER
photo taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Warbler

All in all, this area proved to be a good stopping ground for the few minutes I was there. Also seen were doves, grackles, tanagers, woodpeckers, grosbeaks, other warblers, buntings and even a great blue heron looking lost and as if wondering where the water in the pond went!! Other birders told me they saw an ovenbird, but I never found it before I left for another 'hotspot'.

- - -


This next stop, early in the morning hours, was quite busy. I watched and waited for an opportune time [warblers are quite a challenge to get a decent photo of them since they're in continual motion!] ---


AMERICAN  REDSTART
photo taken:  Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Redstart


BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER
photo taken:  Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Blackburnian


BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER
photo taken:  Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Warbler

---Even the Least Bittern was active in the hunt!




LEAST BITTERN
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Bittern

THEN!! I spotted this in the dried reed grasses near the boardwalk...


COMMON GALLINULE & family [estimated count 7 chicks]
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Gallinule

Also, as I previously posted on my personal blog last week, here is a short 56 second video of the family:
I recorded this with my phone:











Now, share your birding experiences:












For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

23 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Beautiful!
    The Redstart is what I would really like to see. MS is in their breeding range; they must be hiding from me!
    Thanks for hosting
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni, these are all wonderful birds. I have seen them all except for the Gray-cheeked Thrush. I also like the Least Bittern, they are hard to find. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many beautiful birds where you live. :) Our small lakes also dries our. But our birds give up and dissappear :( No grebe chicks this year :( Hardly even gulls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anni, My comment on your other post was indeed belated, but my sentiments were in the right place.:) You are fortunate to live in a place where you see both large and small birds. The Blackburnian Warber is a beauty,as is the Chestnut Sided Warbler, and it was lovely to see both the photos and video clip of the Common Gallinule family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic bittern photos and the babies of the gallinule are adorable. You had a wonderful day of bird watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those chicks scoot along like they're on wheels! They are so cute! At first I thought they were moorhen chicks, but I was wrong. I do believe this is a post of the most secretive birds! Surely the bittern would be number one, and the Thrush not far behind. The Blackburnian is beautiful! And I always love seeing the bittern, just because sightings are so rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny...those ARE moorhens...just another name for the species is Gallinule.

      I added your link to your geese post if you don't mind. If you'd rather not have it shared, I will be happy to delete it. To keep you happy.

      Delete
  7. I don't mind at all if you add my link, it would be an honor. So they are Moorhens, yeah! Those babies can MOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Anni, your Swainsons Thrush looks very much like our Song Thrush, love the Gallinule chicks.
    Take care, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anni. Very little Spring rainfall here (southern UK) until the last two days!

    Great to view your Warblers in their fresh coloured plumages .. I only ever saw them in their drabber autumn garb some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The water is a wonderful attraction in dry times. Since we live on a lake it only would draw mosquitoes. In the arid New Mexico mountains I had birds come right to my feet as i was watering the shrubs. Those gallinle chicks are very young-- so cute! Thanks for hosting and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Blackburnian Warbler sure is showy! And nothing cuter than baby chicks! What great photos. Can't wait for you to see my babies today! Thanks for the party! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni, a lovely display of bird photos here, always fascinating as many I have never seen. The Common Gallinule chicks are beyond adorable and I thoroughly enjoyed the video you took of them. Thank you so much! I will be joining in one of these days, as soon as I have finished all my cross-country daily journals. I hope to get out and about and take some bird photos soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anni. Strangely enough, I jave seen the Grey-cheeked Thrush here in the UK, many years ago in my twitching days. One turned up on the Isces of Scilly but was a bummer to see. Interesting that the Bicknell's is so close.

    We well, so little rain. If only!

    Thanks for letting me join in today. It's always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What amazing bird photos! I'm certainly inspired to go search out and attempt to take better photos of the birds around here. Thank you for letting me know about your blog, I added my link and you have a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos Anni and oh those little chicks! So cute and I love the video.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful thrush and warbler! The baby graniules (sp?) are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are lucky to have such wonderful places to bird watch. Not so much here. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anni, I just came over to say how much I like your new Header, it's stunning. I forgot to mention it before.:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such great birding ... congratulations on your lifer. And I am as much in awe of your skills at IDing as I am of your photography! Thanks for sharing the wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wonderful collection of Thrushs and Warblers, Anni! and fun to see the bigger birds, too, especially the family! Water definitely attracts more of a variety. I have several water features on my "list" to add to my yard. We also have plans to put a tank in someday! Have a wonder-filled week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anni, your video on Mothers Day is ADORABLE...it stole my heart!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents