Rated PG-17?


Okay, so in my area of the world, it has been migrating and breeding season. Tho, migrating birds take precedence over the actual breeding itself, I am totally amazed at the plumage change, from pretty to brilliant! Then, there is the love you can actually feel with some when watching birds of both sexes interact; for instance the male bringing food to the female, the sparring between males for a mate, building nests; who is domineering, etc. etc. etc. Of course, there is the natural act of procreating also! I find it fascinating and watching the 'act' of courting and mating can be quite educational all in all...so many differences yet all creates a natural bonding and a very protective, nurturing stance from the moment of conceiving. Another thing I find heart warming is for the fact so many of the feathered species are monogamous. I, as a child, used to mourn along with the Canada Geese who lost their mates to hunting and predators called people [I lived in Colorado, growing up, and Duck and Goose hunting was a 'big, popular, sport]. To actually see this melancholy bird, you know they were crying inside. Same with doves I use to watch when a youngster; it's endearing.  Reminds me of a book I read long ago...When Elephants Weep, or read some excerpts I shared today on my personal blog...it piques your emotions, and gives you a sense of nature you don't normally think about.  We humans always think we are the highest and smartest of the animal kingdom, I beg to differ.

Sorry....I kept going and this post is more or less about mating.
Here goes...





Afterwards, doesn't he look like he's smiling?  Very proud of himself. Which brings me to another question about animal behavior...is there pride in their way of existence?



ROYAL TERNS
photos taken: Rockport Beach, Rockport, Texas
habitat map: Tern




MORE BREEDING RITUALS
On my Personal Blog, a researcher gives opinions on
parrot/parakeet rituals/behaviors



MONK PARAKEETS
photo taken: Holy Cross Cemetery in Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Parakeet





BLACK SKIMMERS
photos taken: Rockport Beach, Rockport, Texas
habitat map: Skimmer


Now, share your birding experiences:










For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

14 comments:

  1. I'm happy to see these new birds !!
    They are really beautiful!!
    Happy May, dear Friend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your pictures are so sweet today! I love bringing his love the fish. Do animals and birds have pride...that is a hard one! Here is the link for what I have been studying: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_in_animals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Anni; Oh, these rare birds for me and your question is really interesting♪
    Royal Tern's orange beak is really outstanding.

    Have a wonderful weekend and so sorry for my long absence.
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post. :) I find it natural to believe birds and most animals have feelings similar to ours. But in a way that serves their way of life.

    If you want to see two different terns from Queensland I posted one for Saturdays critters. The post before the one I have for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos!
    Yes, animals smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Anni,
    Beautiful series of sterns, certainly the mating you have perfectly photographed.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anni, splendid capture of bird behavior. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a wonderful time to bird watch. I like to see the male cardinal feeding his mate at the bird feeder. You took some beautiful photos. The Black Skimmers are striking! Enjoy your weekend! I just got back from the park and got a few good pics. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I beg to differ too Anni! I love these photos. Birds are always fascinating to me, no matter what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni, I agree with everything you say. We humans would be much better off if we paid more attention to birds and animals. I sometimes wonder what group would be better suited for the term 'wildlife' and I smile here. I love your photos of these beautiful birds. Your description is endearing. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous birds and amazing shots. Birds are so interesting whatever they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh hehehe, i loved the title warning!! awesome images today ann, the terns are so sharp and clear. i have watched mallards mate and it is downright horrible and frightening!!

    as to my blog, my description may have been unclear. the male, with the curled tale, was guarding the female who was on the nest. so i think what you said about ducks, holds true for the geese as well - the female on the nest did not have the curled tail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent shots! I have some photos of geese mating that I never dared to post on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are an outstanding series of photos!! Anni, I often wonder and ask myself similar questions. Observing their behavior has shown me how similar all living creatures are...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents