One Sunday morning, I did some birding, mainly, from the car. I found myself driving along the river on the back side of the city where the oil refineries are and railroad tracks. I drove and drove, and drove some more. Then, I decided to make a U Turn and head back to go to West Guth Park to see what birds were at that area. As I was nearing the area that intersects the highway I was on with the interstate system, I noticed what I missed by going the other direction [what was behind me, at the bottom of a hill that couldn't be seen from the car as I drove along the river]. Literally hundreds of birds!! White Ibis, Snowy Egrets, Herons, Wood Storks, Grackles, Stilts, and Spoonbills! Of course this highway is one of the busiest highways for semi-trucks 365 days a year!! What with the refineries and the port of call where some transport the grain from the trains to areas across South Texas. I pulled off the highway onto the shoulder as far as I could, and waited for the truck traffic to clear out and crossed the highway to take photos. With the egrets there was quite a lot of either territorial disputes or some breeding rituals...I tend to think it was more territorial disputes as I couldn't distinguish any breeding facial colors....














WHITE IBIS, WOOD STORKS, SNOWY EGRETS, GREAT EGRETS, ROSEATE SPOONBILLS
[also seen that morning but no photos shared here, tri-color herons, great blue herons, mottled ducks, black necked stilts, grackles...and angus cattle on the hilltop]
photos taken: Navigation Highway/Joe Fulton Corridor - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat maps: Ibis, Storks, Snowy, Great, Spoonbills
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Great photos of fantastically beautiful birds!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful week-end!
Nice find, and right by the busy highway! Those Snowy Egrets can be pugnacious. Love the way they are displaying their plumes.
ReplyDeletewow. wow. You was right to turn back. This was a real treat. You must had a great rusch of adrenalin that day. I know I would. Love all the images. Fun also that it was mainly white birds. :) Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni
ReplyDeleteRedPat at Occasional Toronto has a cute sparrow photo
http://occasionaltoronto.blogspot.com/2017/06/camouflaged.html
You could invite her to link up
Thanks for hosting this fun meme!
Beautiful bird photography ~ can see why you 'would rather be birdie' ~ thanks, ^_^
ReplyDeleteHello, wonderful photos of all the waders Anni. Your images remind me of Florida. I love the Spoonbills. Thank you for hosting. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeletePS, thank you for linking up and sharing your post.
DeleteHello and Good morning Anni,
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful birds and their place looks like a paradise!You made my day.
Thank you for your host. Have a good day.
Well they definitely had their feathers ruffled! AMAZING! I'm so glad you were able to get to a spot that you could see them all. It's interesting to see so many different birds together...and so close together too. Wonderful photos! Love those Spoonbills! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteYou live in such a bird rich area. Fantastic pictures.
ReplyDeleteOh my stunning pics of the birds but sounded like it was a bit dangerous to get the shots. Great clarity in your photos and beautiful color.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) My Oh My, what a fantastic display of bird behaviour, those plumes and white ruffled feathers are quite splendid. The Egrets remind me of beautiful ballerinas, and I love the shot of the Roseate Spoonbill spreading his wings and the close up of the Wood Stork. An unexpected find that must have made your day Anni,...it surely would have made mine. Thank you so much for hosting.
ReplyDeleteNice work Annni. I guess your work andd picture prove that even in an industrial and urban landscape birds can thrive and survive if they arfe left alone. Not everyone would stop alongside a busy road just see a few old birds would they?
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your pictures, and thanks for letting me along today.
Anni, nice collection of birds. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSassy birds! Some awesome photos!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing sight, all those species in one place , yourself and the Floida girls have got it made, nothing like that over here.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weeek, Gordon.
Wow! Great variety! Glad you turned around and went back that way!
ReplyDeleteAwesome pics of awesome birds -- I especially love seeing more than one species together .....
ReplyDelete