Paradise Pond


At Paradise Pond in Port Aransas, Texas, the parks and recreation is drastically re-landscaping this small refuge. And in turn, very little migration activity is taking place; if ever, this season. While there last week, I spotted whistling ducks, an egret, mallards, myrtle warblers, doves, and grackles along with a lone Black Crowned Night Heron...then, as I was walking out to leave the park, I spotted a Sora. At first it was on the hunt for tasty morsels...then, the ritual of preening.  It was a special treat being able to get a great view of the Sora 'cause most times I see them at a great distance or they're going away from me, mostly hidden.



BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON
photo taken:  Paradise Pond
habitat map:  Heron











SORA
photos taken:  Paradise Pond
habitat map:  Sora



For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:


15 comments:

  1. Great photos!
    I have never heard of a Sora, but when I looked at the habitat map, we in MS are in its migratory route, so I'll keep my eyes open for it.
    I was so thrilled the other day to spot a small flock migratory birds. It took me awhile to ID them, but I am pretty sure they were Blue-winged Teals
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were lucky to get that Sora out in the open! One has appeared on two occasions here on our local Florida wetlands, but I never got a photo-op. I am hoping to see them soon when we go back to Illinois for a spell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great images as always! I've also never heard of a Sora, going to need to look it up and see if there's a chance of seeing one in these parts at all but I doubt it. Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great captures and birds. I love the Night Heron and the Sora. Wonderful sightings. Thanks for hosting. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I have seen the Sora before but somehow recognize the name. A gorgeous bird I would love to see. Great shots Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of a Sora before. I wonder if we might see one here. Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of a Sora, so looked them up in my bird book. I enjoy watching birds preening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, awesome pictures of the sora! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning Anni. Those Soras turn up over here on very rare occasions. How people ever find them I don't know because as you say, they really like to hide away. Saw one from a long distance once but nothing like your splendid photos.

    Have a good week and thanks for the links today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All birding has been put on hold here, except through the windows, as we are getting a huge ice storm. Where is spring?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni, never have seen a Sora but have heard them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picture of the night heron, which we do see here fairly often. But I've only seen a sora once at my favorite old haunt in your area ... on the island at the water treatment birding place. And only because another birder found and IDd it for me. Thanks for the great pictures and always for the memories. (Was that place damaged in the Hurricane?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Anni,
    Beautiful series of photos, I have never heard of the Sora, which does not occur in the Netherlands.
    The Heron is also a beautiful species, which is there in the Netherlands.
    You photographed them perfectly.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess maybe they got funding to fix up your park after the hurricane last year. But to start in spring... not very smart! I have yet to see a Black-crowned Night Heron, but I got to see a Sora up here in Virginia Beach this past winter! Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents