This time of year along the coast the black terns [my favorite of the tern family] come to shore in their breeding plumage...a beautiful black and silver, tipped in white [male]!!




...in flight they are just as pretty!

BLACK TERN
photos taken: Port Aransas Beach [south jetty]
habitat map: Tern
- - -
While at the botanical gardens in search of birds on the two lakes and on the trails, at the rose pavilion, there was a learning program for school aged children on a field trip. About birds of prey. From eagles, owls, hawks and falcons, I happened to walk by the program and saw one bird I have been searching for in the wild [on Mustang Island/North Padre Island] for nearly a decade. No dice!! I thought I'd get a good look at this falcon as it perched!!! It closely resembles the Peregrine Falcon in some ways, when I DO SEE a falcon in the wild, I'm in hopes it's this rare one...but, dozens of sightings turn out to be no highly sought after falcon, but only a peregrine. I stopped and listened to the lecture; the bird's name is Zorro..


APLOMADO FALCON
photos taken: Botanical Gardens
habitat map: Aplomado Falcon
The man had several captive birds; I took a couple more photos, three owls...



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Oh how I love owls! I look in the trees every time I hike hoping to see one. I did see some at the wildlife park this week though. Love your Peregrine Falcon...what a gorgeous bird! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThose Black Terns are so striking! I have never gotten oa close shot of one. The falcon is beautiful. I would love to see one in the wild!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful black terns! Also loved the falcon and owls though. Really nice post!
ReplyDeleteyour Black Tern is lovely. We have a few in the south part of Sweden but I have never seen them. To see one would be a treat for sure!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBlack Terns are a rare migrant here, usually seen only on a reservoir some miles away. Not seen one for some time so delighted to view your images and those of the Falcon and Owls.
I trust you won't mind me joining in again after such a long absence from blogging.
Best Wishes ... Frank.
Love your terns and the falcon!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous Owls but I love all your Black Tern images Anni. Have a great week ahead.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Anni. I wonder if like me you are having a problem with google not forwarding comments to your designated email address? Google are aware and I think it has been caused by this GDPR or whatever it's called.
ReplyDeleteBack to the birds. Loved those Black Terns especially since this is our season for seeing them even though I have yet to catch up with one this year. You got some lovely pics there.
I too would be searching for one of those Aplomado Falcons. What a fabulous looking bird.
Have a great weekend. Hope you find this comment.
Hello, I would love to see those Black Terns. Beautiful birds. The Raptor show is cool, wonderful birds and photo. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThe terns are quite handsome in their breeding colors. Zorro is an awesome bird. I can see why you searched for them. You got some great pics though!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of the terns, the birds of prey is really great.
Best regards, Irma
Anni, what a great find, the Aplomado Falcon. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThe Black Terns are amazing!
ReplyDeleteThose Black Terns are so shinny and pretty...I can see why you enjoy them! Your visit and getting to view the Falcon had to be such great fun. He is certainly a gorgeous bird and I can see how it can be mistaken for a Peregrine, though it's much darker just gorgeous. Maybe you shall find a wild one soon. Aww that Snowy sure got a long way from it's home to be captive now. Guess it managed to get injured along it's travels. At least all are safe and people, young children are learning all about them. Thanking you Anni~
ReplyDeleteMary
I'd be quite happy to see "even" a peregrine falcon ... but I hope you find your rare one in the wild someday -- he's very handsome! Those programs do a lot of good teaching people (not only children) to respect and recognize wild birds in addition to rehab! Those are the good things about zoos.
ReplyDeleteThe black terns are wonderful -- I'd never even heard of them before. Thanks so much for hosting (and for teaching us!)
Anni, a beautiful falcon indeed!! We have a raptor rehab close by that is owned by an acquaintance of mine. I am one of their diligent followers because of the birds they have!!...:)JP
ReplyDeleteCan't see I've seen any of those black and silver terns on any beaches around here...hmmm
ReplyDeleteTesting
ReplyDelete