May Birds


Stll, the weather the past three weeks has just been no good, nor is the birding population. A couple of weeks ago, South Padre Island had a rare bird reported [about 200 miles from our home], but each time we planned on going there to see if we could find it Bud and I decided not to go because of the heavy rains forecasted. Oh well....it was just a pigeon. A white crowned pigeon from the Caribbean. At least that is what I've been saying to myself to help with the disappointment of not getting to travel there. It has now left and not been re-spotted anywhere close. [At least as of this posting].


So, with the lack of good birding in our area, I am going to go back to the month of May and share some more photos from then.....



MALLARD DUCK [domestic]
photo taken:  Lakeview Park
habitat map:  Duck


LONG BILLED THRASHER [compare to brown thrasher with brighter plumage, straight bill, and yellow eyes.  Texas' Long Billed Thrasher is duller in color, a slightly longer, down-curve bill and orange eyes]

photo taken:  Blucher Park
habitat map:  Thrasher


BLACK SKIMMER
photos taken:  Rockport Park
habitat map:  Skimmer



SPOTTED SANDPIPER
photo taken:  Botanical Gardens
habitat map:  Sandpiper


PIED BILLED GREBE
photo taken:  Pollywog Ponds
habitat map:  Grebe


GROVE BILLED ANI
photo taken: Pollywog Ponds
habitat map:  Ani


[hidden] GREAT BLUE HERON
photos taken:  Pollywog Ponds
habitat map:  Heron


TEXAS GOLDFINCH [or Lesser Goldfinch with all black head]
photos taken:  Falfurrias Texas
habitat map:  Goldfinch
*is is molting?


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



14 comments:

  1. So much to love here! The Spotted Sandpiper...I believe I saw and snapped one, and now I can use your photo for more identification. I have never heard of a Long Billed Thrasher. You really captured the gorgeous emerald color of the Mallard's head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anni. Well I found a new one - Lesser Goldfinch or as you call it, Texas Goldfinch. I'm wondering, is the Lesser Goldfinch a separate or a sub-species of American Goldfinch? I'm into that sort of thing - sad I know.

    Yes, I think it's a male in autumn moult. Shame you didn't see the pigeon thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice series of photos from your archives. I sometimes welcome the respite of a rain shower as it provides time to reflect. We had the Lesser Goldfinch when we lived in the mountains of New Mexico. It bred very late in the season. I remember seeing one feeding a fledgling when there were snow flurries, probably in late September or early October.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Goldfinch is very cute! It does look like a young one. Love your beautiful birds from May. It's been nice here...I've hiked 3 times this week! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came back to tell you that I am praying for you my friend. I hope and pray you get the care you need to keep yourself healthy. Take care! Hugs, Diane

      Delete
  5. Hello Anni,
    What a beautiful series of these birds, photo10 is my favorite.
    Perfectly photographed, my compliments.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Anni, beautiful birds and photos. I think this week my favorites are the, Skimmer, Groove-billed Ani and the finch. Have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the black skimmer. Hope your weather improves. We had the first wet snow last night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a colorful bill on the Black Skimmer!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww birding can be very seasonal, May was very good to you. i am lucky to see so many birds right outside my window!!

    the texas goldfinch is my favorite here, because there are no purple birds, yellow is my next favorite color!

    have a wonderful sunday and many thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni, May appeared to be an active birding month. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an interesting gold finch! Sometimes birding luck is just no good. Sounds like your overdue for some better weather around there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful photos as always Anni! I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents