To begin my post today, last week I mentioned that a startling discovery was seen through the foggy, misty, air, when I pulled off the island highway to check and see if the Aplomado Falcons were still active around the special platform in the field. Both were there, but the prairie grass and dunes had been burned right up to and surrounding the platform as you can see the charred land!! Perhaps, with the pattern of the burned area, it was a 'controlled' burn -what with the post in the foreground you can see the prairie grasses were NOT burned in line...but, why now when the season for breeding is upon us? I was surprised they both were still there!!


APLOMADO FALCON
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat map: Falcon
I guess I'll never know what happened. I will continue to follow the two birds as long as it takes. And, I will stop quibbling the matter. For the day continued from last week, I sighted in on several water fowl at Leonabelle Refuge now that it has re-opened to the public. And afterward, the tidal pool near the Port Aransas Jetty [which has a new-found damaged area; and dangerous ---possible future collapse], and stopping on the way out of Port A, the last stop for the day, the Wetland Park across from Post Office on Highway 361:



COMMON GALLINULE [one returning Luecistic]
photos taken: Leonabelle Refuge
habitat map: Moorhen [aka Gallinule]


WILSON'S SNIPE
photos taken: Leonabelle Refuge
habitat map: Snipe
...at Port Aransas Wetland Park, through dense fog, I spotted:



WHITE IBIS
photos taken: Wetland Park
habitat map: Ibis
...at the Ship Channel's Tidal Pool
These look like Laughing Gulls...so similar in marking, but they're Franklin's Gulls (the distinctive Pink Breast [look closely] during breeding season) and larger eye ring eclipse are IDing factors for Franklin's Gull....

FRANKLIN'S GULL
photos taken: Port Aransas Jetty
habitat map: Gull

SNOWY EGRET, GREAT EGRET, GREAT BLUE HERON
photos taken: Tidal Pool
habitat maps: S. Egret, G. Egret, G B Heron

SNOWY EGRET
photo taken: Tidal Pool
habitat map: Egret

TRI-COLORED HERON and ROSEATE SPOONBILL
photos taken: Tidal Pool


CATTLE EGRET
photos taken: Tidal Pool
habitat map: Egret
and paste into your blog post:

Hello Anni, I have seen many parks and wildlife refuges that are doing the controlled burns. I guess it is necessary, even if I do not like it being done. Wonderful birds and photos. The Aplomado Falcon would be a lifer for me. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteBut, my question, why during the breeding season?!!
DeleteCool!
ReplyDeleteDelighted the two falcons are still there so we can follow their story with you. Great set of photos, Diane
ReplyDeleteWe've sure had the controlled burns here this Spring but things are already greening up! I don't think I know it when I see the Snowy Egret. We see the Great White Egret all the time but maybe we could see a Snowy too. I need to go back and read the difference. Love your beautiful Falcons! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeletevery interesting post today. I hope the falcons will find food to raise the young despite the burns. Would be awful if they failed :(
ReplyDeleteGreat shots of all species.
Wishing you a Happy Easter :)
Monica/NatureFootstep
What a successful trip! But so sad about the burning. If the Falcons had eggs or chicks in the nest, they would have stayed until they absolutely had to leave. So you actually went Snipe Hunting, just like the old saying! I think they are incredibly hard to spot. Gallinules are strange looking birds, but very impressive.
ReplyDeleteLoved the egret comparison. That fire was scary! Last spring in Illinois the County Forest Preserve performed extensive mowing of the prairies right in the middle of the nesting season for Henslow's Sparrows plus meadowlarks, Vesper Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds, Sedge Wrens etc. This was done to control red clover and it really got all the birders upset. They promised to have Audubon volunteers who would stake out the nesting areas which they would then avoid, but how can they be expected to find all the nests of grassland birds? Hope it goes better this year.
ReplyDeleteWonderful pictures of wetland birds! Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeletelove the shot of the cattle egret at the end. we have a snowy egret hunting lizards in our front yard the past few days. I have been to sick to care for 4 days now. so no pics. white ibis are a dime a dozen here, there are flocks of them in most yards.. they are becoming pests, like pigeons in Savannah.
ReplyDeleteThat is sad about the burning. The Gallinules are interesting. Love all of the pics in the fog. Made for some great shots. I especially enjoyed the cattle egrets.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. Yes, I really like the two Cattle Egrets at the end. And thanks for those ID tips on Franklin's and Laughing Gulls. When we went to Mexico I remember struggling for a while until I sussed them out. Enjoyed all your words and pictures today. And thanks for hosting again.
ReplyDeleteOh Anni, your pictures are absolutely magnificent. Ya know, I never fail to get tears in my eyes when I see pictures of all the vast wild animals that I've never seen in my lifetime and never will. The awesomeness & vastness of our earth seems to hit me over the head! I can't imagine how many different kinds of animals walk the earth... and we humans think that we are the dominant ones??!! *lol* Thank you for beautifying the internet with your lovely photos and knowledge. Love, Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed. Hope you have a great week.
ReplyDeleteAnni, liked the Common Gallinule. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThe photos of the Ibis are INCREDIBLE!!!!...:)JP
ReplyDelete