At my birding outings, I've been seeing a bit more different birds instead of the 'usual' egrets and GB herons. So without further ado, I'll share some:
To me, watching this young Green Heron, I was reminded of the late 50's early 60's when the guys would grease up their hair and comb it flat on top and into a 'duck tail' on the back. Well, this youngster, did it all naturally! First, 'greased back'...

...then the styling gel works with making it stand up! I was quite elated seeing this action with the heron; oftentimes I miss it and for me it's all about the crest!! I nicknamed him "The Fonz"...

[LITTLE] GREEN HERON
photos taken: Paradise Pond
habitat map: Heron
* * * *
The one park I frequent for walking always has a lot of these singing along the trails. The whole season, so far, I have yet to see a female. And with their beautiful lime green colors with faded denim blue, they are just as attractive as the male in my opinion. [ps, here at this park, we had a mysterious death of a young college student. His body was found just a short distance off the path in the chapparal, murder or natural causes? I haven't heard. I'm thinking it will be a while longer before I return there!!]

PAINTED BUNTING
photo taken: Oso Bay Wetlands
habitat map: Bunting
* * * *
On the bay, there is a small residential park that I sometimes go to to see if I can find some different bird. This was the one and only active bird around the time I was there...

SPOTTED SANDPIPER
photo taken: South Bay Park
habitat map: Sandpiper
* * * *
At the "Willows" [just an outcropping of willow trees with a small pond between two high-rise hotels on Mustang Island] I sighted in on this, singing, perched at the top of the highest branch...

EASTERN KINGBIRD
photo taken: The Willows
habitat map: Kingbird
* * * *
Again, on the islands, this time North Padre Island, behind the channel, I walked the mudflats and found several stilts, nesting....with the screeching and frantic gesturing, I left them quickly. I always wonder why they nest so low to the ground, when oftentimes, when the tide rises, so do the tidal pools making the nest and eggs/or hatchlings very vulnerable....

BLACK NECKED STILT
photo taken: Packery Channel Mudflats
habitat map: Stilt
Still on the mudflats as I was dodging slime and heading to the grasses for cleaner walking and better balance, I spied this beautiful bird all decked out in breeding plumage...

MARBLED GODWIT
photo taken: Packery Channel Mudfloats
habitat map: Godwit
* * *
After driving to Refugio, Texas and stopping at Lions Park, just as I was about to abort my birding time, several of these landed at a nearby tree where I had my car parked. I took this photo and left for home...

CEDAR WAXWING
photo taken: Lions Park
habitat map: Waxwing
and paste into your blog post:

Hello Anni! Happy memorial day weekend! What a great variety of birds. Some of my favorites too, I love the Green Heron and Painted Bunting. All these birds are great sightings and wonderful photos. Enjoy your weekend. Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeleteI like the Fonz! How funny it that! I love seeing them all fluffed out! They can look entirely different. LOVE your Painted Bunting! What a sighting! It's a great time of year for bird watching! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds. Loved the godwit all decked out in breeding color, and of course the bunting, kingbird, Green Heron, sandpiper, stilt and waxwing. What a nice assortment!
ReplyDeleteA fantastic post today!! We have seen Green Herons, but never with this big crest!!! Double WOW!!! The stilt is gorgeous, and looks elegant and royal to me. So those are my favorites. Long live The Fonz!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful birds!
ReplyDeleteLittle Green Heron is my favorite today.
Hope you are having a great weekend!
Great pictures today Anni. I especially like the Painted Bunting and the Green Heron. If you're not seeing females I'm guessing that they are sat quiet on eggs, more so as your males seem to be in full voice.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link up today.
Hello Anni
ReplyDeleteYou show beautiful birds, you don't see these species in the Netherlands.
Photo 5 is my favorite.
Do you want to place my link, I cannot do it.
Best regards, Irma
every single bird today is exquisite, I choose the painted bunting as my favorite because he looks like a flying rainbow. amazing colors.. love the Fonz bird and Bob says he wore a duck tail for years.. my brother missed the duck tail but had the flat top that came next. sorry to hear about the death in the park
ReplyDeleteGreat bird photos.
ReplyDeletesqueee . . . I wish a few cedar waxwings had a reason to stop by my place.
ReplyDelete