Look Up...It's a Plane...It's Superman...No, It's a Bird!!!


Have you ever heard of Warbler Neck? No, not possessive as in Warbler's...it's not the neck of the warbler...but, it's from using your binoculars, or just looking up in the trees for a long period of time during your outing...looking for birds. It happens to all of us at one time or another. Especially during the migration season, and the birds are flocking into the woods, and you're almost forced to .... LOOK UP! During the course of the year, all seasons, it's hard NOT to look up in search for birds flitting from branch to branch, tree to tree.  To me, Warbler Neck is a badge of honor!!!

I'm reminded of an article I read online several years ago. It goes like this:

    “There it is in that green tree. It’s at 5 o’clock. Now it’s at 9 o’clock. Now it’s about 9 minutes to 5.”


And, if you take this sport [or hobby; obsession] seriously, you can understand that statement above.  With all too clear of truth to it!!  Especially with WARBLERS.  Oh how they love to flit around; always on the move.  This week I thought I'd do a theme of birds captured, where else? In the trees of course!!!



NORTHERN CARDINAL
photo taken:  Calallen Texas Hawkwatch Platform
habitat map:  Cardinal


CRESTED CARACARA
photo taken:  Bazemore Park
habitat map:  Caracara


BALTIMORE ORIOLE
photo taken:  Packery Channel Park
habitat map:  Oriole


ANHINGA
photo taken:  Carribean Drive Ponds
habitat map:  Anhinga


COOPERS HAWK
photo taken:  Rose Hill Cemetery
habitat map:  Hawk


LEAST FLYCATCHER
photo taken:  Oso Bay Wetlands
habitat map:  Flycatcher


EASTERN PHOEBE
photo taken:  Pollywog Ponds
habitat map:  Phoebe


GREEN KINGFISHER
photo taken:  Bazemore Park
habitat map:  Kingfisher


SCISSORTAILED FLYCATCHER
photo taken:  County Road 70
habitat map:  Flycatcher



GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
photo taken:  Blucher Park
habitat map:  Woodpecker


_ _ _ _


And last but not least....of course, a Warbler! I'm not sure my ID is correct, but with the yellow breast, white belly, dark wing and wing bars...the clear sight of its yellow eye ring, Id guess it's a:


PINE WARBLER
photo taken: Leonabelle Refuge
habitat map: Warbler

correct me if I'm wrong with identification with the warbler above.






For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

12 comments:

  1. A great collection of photos! The Phoebe is my favorite today. I love the way they wag their tails up and down, making identification easier!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your birds photos are so wonderful this week! It's so nice when we can get out and see something in nature! I drove out to a hiking trail and stayed close to the car but I still saw a lot! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the pictures! Especially the female Cardinal with the male taking a back seat for once! And the Caracara, wow! His legs match his face. Another favorite is the kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such interesting birds and mostly ones I do not even know about. Great photographs, thanks for sharing. Hope you have a good Sunday. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I always have a sore neck and often make my neck hurt more looking for the birds. I have a few favorites, like the Caracara and Cardinals. They are all great birds and photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a great day and a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That post rung a bell Anni. I very often have warbler neck and also a binos neck after a few hours in the field. Still, it's all worth it when we see birds like you captured there. I love the Green Kingfisher as ours are blue, so yours makes a nice change.

    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this Anni! Your willingness to suffer warbler neck yielded fantastic pictures. Beautiful birds ...my tree birds don’t sit still and when they do they’re hiding behind leaves or branches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. all the photos are gorgeous and always are. my favorite today is the cardinal in the first one and I have to say this is my most favorite of all cardinal photos I have ever seen. she is stunning and I love him faded in the background. love that yellow pine warbler and the cooper hawk is gorgeous. you have a gift for bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful captures! I guess I have had a warbler neck all my life...I cannot remember a time I didn't love to watch birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing variety you have here. Some I have seen when on vacations, others are new to me. Warbler neck is a new phrase to me too, sort of like tennis neck when watching a tennis match when you're moving side to side as each side hits the ball with the racket :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Nora...it is much easier to look at your photos than find them in the trees. Your photo of the cardinals is gorgeous, Anni...:)jp

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents