Three in a Park...


My stop over at Bazemore park about a 20 minute drive from home one morning in late August, I sighted three rather 'scarce' birds seen in my part of the Coastal Bend, which made my morning!


The Buff-bellied Hummingbird is kinda scarce....tho a non-breeding resident in South Texas, their permanent range is mostly Northeast Mexico. You just have to be where they're feeding, at the right place and right time:


BUFF BELLIED HUMMINGBIRD
habitat map: Hummingbird


The hooded oriole is another species seen throughout the Southwest.  Here, I saw both male and female



HOODED ORIOLE
habitat map: Oriole


When I first took up birding as a hobby, Green Jays were only sighted in the extreme southwest Texas, up from Old Mexico as you can see if you open the link provided with 'habitat map' below.  Then, several years passed and I saw one in Calallen Texas [20 minutes from home] and then again at Corpus Christi Lake which is about 70 miles northwest of home.  This past birding trip to Bazemore Park, I saw FOUR.  What I think were two juveniles and two adults.  I was quite elated to see them.  I do so hope to someday get one in flight to show off the bright yellow along with the lime green plumage!!  Someday.



....and my favorite captured:


GREEN JAY
habitat map: Jay





For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

13 comments:

  1. The green jay is gorgeous! And the Orioles are eye catching! The little hummers are amazing to capture too. It's fun to see something out of the ordinary. I had a week like that too! Love your new banner...my eyes are still crossed though! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures of wonderful birds! Your favorite Green Jay picture is mine as well. It is Hair Rising, ha ha!! A great shot of the hovering Hummer with his wings out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new header! I saw the Green Jays down in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. It is interesting how some birds are shifting their ranges northward. Limpkins had been essentially isolated to Florida and nearby Georgia, but now they have shown up in Ohio and Illinois. Wet climate conditions have forced nearly all of south Florida's Wood Storks up north, even into South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen all those birds on visits to south Texas, especially at the Santa Ana NWR (Buff-bellied Hummingbirds were seen in the parking lot). I am wondering if this refuge is in the path of Trump's wall. Maybe it will be spared because the money hasn't arrived from Mexico yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photographs! Thanks for sharing these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Anni,
    Beautiful pictures of these beautiful birds.
    The Green Jay and the Hummingbird are amazing.
    Do you want to place my link, I still don't succeed
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bird photos. I especially like that Green Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Green Jays are rather beautiful Anni. You found us some quite lovely and unusual birds today. Thank you. And for the link-up. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! Very interesting birds!
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen any of these birds, and am sooooo excited over that green jay. wow. the last photo is amazing and he is gorgeous.... outshine he blue jays for sure....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, Anni!!! The Green Jays are gorgeous creatures and the Hooded Oriole is just a beautiful (although I admit I never heard of either of them)...:)jp

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all these photos but the Green Jay is quite beautiful. Hope all is well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that Green Jay and the Hooded Oriole...and the Buff Bellied Hummingbird...I would have been in 7th heaven to see them all.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents