Banded!


I am proud to be part of this 'society' when it comes to reporting a banded bird! Participating in the filling out the information found [and helpful photos if possible]...to me, assists those that are doing research, banding, breeding, life span, travel, etc. for each one reported. In December of 2019, I saw a lone brown pelican on a huge boulder along the Port's Ship Channel. I shared it on my personal blog earlier. First and foremost, I loved the composition of the 'story' it created. My first thought was "One is the Loneliest Number"...then, my thought turned to "What is the pelican thinking as it's perched there; looking out into the foggy morning?"  "Is it lonely, hungry, contented and/or recently fed?"

And since I mentioned on my personal blog that there was "more to the story" behind the photo, I came to realize that most of the visitors to my blog were romantics instead of realists!  They most all associated a mate or a love interest to the behind the scenes.  But in reality the "rest of the story" is of the scientific and research scenario.  Sorry to disappoint!




As I snapped a few more photos of it, I noticed two bands, one on each of its legs. I immediately zoomed in to get proof of the numbers and colors so when I got back home, I could send off the information to the research lab...

After a few days, I received a reply with a certificate that holds all the pertinent information of the particular bird.  This one is quite local from birth to 2019/2020.  But, I have found banded birds along the seashore that have traveled many thousands of miles to reach the spot I found 'em.  Exciting stuff.  I love learning. 



If you ever find a banded bird; report it [dead or alive]. You're doing the research lab a great service.

For the Form...click here



This Week's Participants

Season for Comforts
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Cranium Bolts
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Linda, Virginia USA
Lavender Dreams
Phil, UK
Eileen
Lea's Menagerie
Four Bird Sketches
Sallie [Full Time Life]
Travels With Birds


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:

19 comments:

  1. Hello, I have not been lucky to see a band clear enough to read the numbers. I do love the pelicans, It is nice to learn it is a local. Great photos. Thanks hosting. Have a happy day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have reported many banded birds over the years and have a whole folder of those certificates. At one point they used to mail them but in recent years they send an email with an attachment and you print you own. The real fun comes when you find a bird banded in another country, or you find a bird in Central or South America, for example, that was banded back home. Now, radio tacking and geo-locators provide far more detailed information than band recoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is amazing to be able to spot the band and get the info to report! Well done! Happy weekend! Hope you have a chance to get outside some. We got out today...before the weather changes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what about the Trumpeting Swan with the big yellow tag on it's body? Lots of birders have been snapping it. What is that big tag anyway? That is so cool that you found out the Pelican's history! What came to my mind was a bird looking out to the sea waiting for his lost love. A bit TOO romantic, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am amazed that you could zoom in and read the numbers clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting find! Last month I took photos of an Osprey diving for a fish. Only after processing the photos did I notice it had two bands-- one metallic silver and the other with a copper tone. No way to read any numbers. Need to figure out where to report it, as the band differences my signify something about their origin if not the individual bird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good eyes to notice the leg bands while you were photographing.

    I reported a Canadian Goose several months ago, but only noticed its neck collar. I didn't realize it also had a leg band, but found that out when I received my report back from the USGS. (I have a link to their reporting site on my blog, so I can easily find it on the rare occasions I encounter a banded bird.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finding a ringed bird is a sure fire way to interest a previously reluctant Joe Public in birds. When they get that email or letter there's all sorts of information that they never previously thought of - the time, the place, other sightings, if the bird is male, female, young or old.

    You're correct Anni in wishing to highlight the science rather than the oohs and the aahs but I don't have a problem with the oohs and the aahs if it leads to other curiosity.

    Thanks for the chance to join in today. And have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is very interesting and I did not know about reporting them or how to or that this even existed. I like the rest of this birds story, it tells his history and I enjoyed that...

    ReplyDelete
  10. in my opinion, this is better than romance! So question for you, do you have to be able to see the number...I am assuming you do for it to be of any use. We used to see a few swans with neck bands but not close enough to tell the number. Also, those Whooping Cranes had numbers but again, I don't think I could tell the number. I did not even know you could report it, so this is wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so crazy I forgot to tell you I LOVE your shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting that you manage to read the ring numbers and get feed back. I seldom ever see birds with rings here. Lovely photos. Enjoy your week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating post and photos of our 'feathered friends.' ~ Can tell you are a serious 'bird watcher.' ~ They are fortunate to have you as a 'bander' reporter ~

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember other posts you’ve done on banding and I am as awed to read about this find as I was in those earlier posts. You do good work helping with the Lab’s research (and of course so do they). These days, our birds, and indeed the whole Planet, need all the help they can get!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting! I haven't seen any bird like that. Have a lovely day☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. As stated by Stanford Medical, It is really the ONLY reason this country's women get to live 10 years more and weigh 19 kilos less than us.

    (And actually, it really has NOTHING to do with genetics or some secret diet and really, EVERYTHING to do with "HOW" they are eating.)

    BTW, I said "HOW", not "what"...

    CLICK on this link to find out if this brief test can help you release your true weight loss possibilities

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents