
The thought of not getting a post done this week crossed my mind. For days, as most know by either my personal blog, or the news of the state of Texas, we had near catastrophic blackouts for days. Normal outdoor temps for this time of year is 70's for a high and 50's for low. Hear that? Historically we get...No freezing, no ice, no snow! But history changed its course this past week! We got mostly ice, but a skiff of snow too. No heat at our house [2 1/2 days of indoor temps of 42 degrees F and below at night]. Our house is all electric, so no warm meals either. Generator engines froze up around the neighborhood. I did NOT go anywhere but to bed to keep warm. Thursday I did get out to get groceries since we lost so much from the freezer thawing. Get to the store, and NOTHING on the shelves but more or less foods rejected by other shoppers. I managed to get two cases of bottled water. I timed it well. They were giving each customer two cases each to keep others from hoarding. No birding....means photos from my archive folders.
And I choose the most colorful, bright and cheerful photos I can find!!! Just to raise the doom and gloom we experienced this week. All I can say now, is: "It's bound to get better!"

SCARLET IBIS
Habitat map: Ibis

FLAMINGO
Habitat map: Flamingo
Then, near home in Texas:

ROSEATE SPOONBILL
Habitat map: Spoonbill

NORTHERN CARDINAL
Habitat map: Cardinal

YELLOW WARBLER
Habitat map: Warbler

MONK PARAKEET
Habitat map: Parakeet

You have had an awful time of it recently down there in Texas. Things can only get better - or it's off to Cancun!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteThe news from Texas has been awful, I heard everyone had to boil their water. Our temps have been in the 20's sometimes 30's. But, I guess Maryland has seen these cold winters and lots of snow previous years. Your birds are colorful and beautiful. Loved the photos. Thanks for hosting. I wish you better days ahead. Take care, happy weekend.
I always say the Roseate Spoonbill is my favorite FL bird and oh how I love that Scarlett Ibis! WOW! And I'm glad you were able to get water and a few things. I've been praying for everyone there and hope the weather improves this weekend. What a harsh winter storm! Take care and thanks for the party. We need some pretty birds to look at after this week! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeletewell you sure found brilliant colored birds, can't pick a favorite. have never seen the scarlet Ibis and wish ours were that color. love the little green parrot. it may take a while for the stores to get stocked up, even the vaccine is stalled out in other states that are iced/snowed in. what a way to start this new year. we are having the temps you usually have, the cold came but the low was 52 high 70 and a repeat tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you have had to go through this! I blame that power company! Glad to know you are still doing well, and I hope not too dehydrated. how wonderful that you got ater! The Scarlet Ibis is amazing, I have never seen one.
ReplyDeleteBeen thinking about you and hope things are getting better. What an awful mess. I’m so sorry . Take care of yourselves.
ReplyDeleteJust been chatting to my best friend who lives in Dallas, it sounds just too terrible. Hope all soon improves and it warms up a bit! Lovely blog despite all the problems. Take care and keep warm Diane
ReplyDeleteAnni, you are the ONLY person I know who lives in Texas and hearing and seeing clips on the news and now reading your words, I am heartbroken. I did see that temps are on their way up but that will now fix empty shelves and lack of water. PLEASE take care...jp
ReplyDeleteI sure hope things get back to normal there quickly Anni. I'm glad you were at least able to get water and hope you have enough food in the pantry to get by on. That Scarlet Ibis is amazing, I never knew they existed!
ReplyDeleteI have been praying for all you folks in Texas. With better weather coming I hope things improve quickly!
ReplyDeleteI am so grateful that you escaped unscathed from these terrible times. Hope that in the coming period everything will be restored in Texas!
ReplyDeleteThe birds are beautiful and colorful!
Be careful and keep warm!
Thank you for hosting!
Love the beautiful, cheerful photos you picked for this week. Thank you for still posting although I think everyone would've definitely understood if you passed on it this week. Been thinking of you and all those in your state. Hoping it warms up and improves very soon for you all. Glad you stayed safe and warm during the worst of it.
ReplyDeletelove your colorful collection of birds this week. I think I have seen them all. If my brain don´t fool me I have seen the Scarlet Ibis in a Zoo somewhere.
ReplyDeleteAn ice-storm is a disatser for a region not used to it. Even places used to it can have real problems. As you mention also the big problem is electrification without having back-up systems. As soon as the power breaks down we are all in trouble. No news, no shopping no nothing. It´s a bad system! Hope everything is back to normal soon. Take care.
Well done on this blog post.
ReplyDeletePlease take care while things get back to some sort of normality.
I enjoyed seeing all of these colourful birds.
The Scarlet Ibis is amazing ...
All the best Jan
as Sir Captain Tom always said "Tomorrow will be a better day" I wish you a much better week this week Anni.
ReplyDeleteYes I read about your record lows in Texas. And about the wind farms that cant produce electric cause of no wind. Shame about the hoarding and panic buying but folks are so selfish. I hope things get back to normality soon Anni. And I wish I could take you up on that steak dinner as I've heard that Texas steaks are even better than Texas birds!
ReplyDeleteTake care and stay warm.
That sounds really awful! Unfortunately, climate change is making itself felt everywhere - sometimes with unexpected heat, sometimes with unexpected cold ...
ReplyDeleteHow delightful that you chose such beautiful and colorful bird photos to lighten the mood! I brought you some bird pictures today, too!
I hope the situation will get better for you very soon! Have a good Sunday and a very good new week!
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/02/zwei-ausfluge-und-ein-blumchenkleid.html
Bright and cheerful is what we all need! These are all so beautiful. We actually got up to 32° yesterday, and this coming week supposed to have in the 40's and even a day up to 50...compare that to getting up to the Minus 10° one day last week, and -8°, and -7°..50 will feel like we are living in the trophics.
ReplyDeleteHaving lived in Dallas for over 20 years I know how bad an ice storm can be for drivers and even a few power interruptions, but never anything approaching what you have had to go through. Too bad the food in the fridge was wasted. Yes, you were wise to pick some bright and happy bird colors. Hope things are back to normal by now. Thanks for hosting despite the adversity.(I think Mr Linky has not yet recovered from the cold and ice1)
ReplyDelete