Over the last few weeks I've shared a few rarities along the coastal bend of Texas. The Harlequin Duck, the Little Gull, the Glaucous Gull, and now I share the last of the birds that are quite a bit out of their prime habitat...the Iceland Gull. Seen below. Notice the yellow, thinner than most bills, with the reddish marking on the lower mandible. And PINK feet. Compare to the Glaucous with both pink bill and pink feet. There are subtle changes and identifying marks on all gulls, it's just learning them as you go in search of them. The birds shared today are what I've seen when out and about while still in search of birds and avoiding the beaches until next week when classes resume for the colleges around the country. I know of a few out of the way places that are not invaded by human revelry.
ROSEATE SPOONBILL [breeding plumage]
Habitat map: Spoonbill
AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER
Habitat map: Oystercatcher
OSPREY
Habitat map: Osprey
ICELAND GULL [rare in Texas, aka Thayer's]
NOTE: In 2017, the American Ornithological Union officially eliminated Thayer's Gull as a distinct species, instead declaring them to be a sub-species of the Iceland Gull
Habitat map: Gull

Linking Tool is now closed
on my trips I was always hoping for good shots of the Roseate spoonbill. I have seen it but never got a good shot of it. It was always too far away and seen in only a few minutes. :( Love your shots. Last year I never saw the OYSTERCATCHER, They did not arrive to the nest where I used to see them ;(
ReplyDeleteAll spoonbills are appealing, Anni, but Roseate Spoonbills are the most appealing of all!
ReplyDeletei think these are the best ever of your spoonbills. I love love each of them. Have never seen those gorgeous pink gull feet. how cool is that
ReplyDeleteWhat great poses of the Roseate Spoonbill and you KNOW that is my favorite bird! If I had to pick a favorite...it would be! I've never seen one with breeding colors. How amazing! Love your birds this week! Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteI have a spoonbill this week too. Great shots as always! Your colourful version is fab!!
ReplyDeleteDear Annie,
ReplyDeletethe Icelandgull with its pink feet is really fascinating. But I have to admit, the ROSEATE SPOONBILL fascinates me EVEN MORE with its colorful breeding plumage! I've never seen that before! Also the OSPREY and the AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERs are beautiful birds. By the way, I saw OYSTERCATCHERs a few years ago on our vacation in Iceland on the bird island of Vigur - you can see photos here, there are other birds that you might like: https://rostrose.blogspot.com/ 2017/10/island-kreuzfahrt-part-8-vogelinsel.html
And today I linked my current post with you, there are also a few birds to see...
All the best and have a nice weekend,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/03/zeit-fur-ein-rückblick-auf-den.html
You have really maxed out on rarities whiteout a great deal of travel. I stopped "chasing" about when I entered my ninth decade of life, but really enjoy hearing about the success of others and the possibility that one might turn up within walking distance.
ReplyDeleteGoodness, the spoonbill's head is green. Love the gull's pink feet!!
ReplyDeleteMe too. I actually enjoyed the Roseate Spoonbill more than the full. And the Osprey as I don't see many of them either. Ha, ha, I don't blame you Anni for keeping your secret spots quiet. Happy Sunday 😊
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, :=) Excellent post! How I love to see those Spoonbills in breeding plumage. They are quite spectacular. I have never seen the an American Oystercatcher or The Iceland gull, but I have enjoyed seeing them here. Thank you for photographing their feet. It is interesting to see the claws on webbed feet. All your shots are beautiful. No birds from me this week, perhaps I will have some to share next week.
ReplyDeleteAll the best.
Amazing captures. Love them all. Wish I could at least a few of them around here. I have seen ospreys just twice in my life!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Anni, we have only the white spoonbill.
ReplyDeleteLook at those feet!
ReplyDelete