
WOOD STORK
NOTES: [Oftentimes misnamed in books as wood ibis - this bird is of the STORK family, not ibis.]
[This bird can be over 3.5 feet tall and have a wingspan of 5 feet or more!]
photo taken: Texas A&M West Campus Walking Trail - Corpus Christi Texas
Habitat Range in the Americas:
connected to:
World Bird Wednesday
CAMERA CRITTERS
Water World Wednesday
NOTE: Since the departure of the online meme of World Bird Wednesday, I would like to continue viewing and sharing your bird photos and mine with you...so, please, if you would care to join me, I'll add a Link Tool every Sunday [central time zone USA]!!! ---Beginning Sunday, July 15th. And, then, each consecutive Sunday. There is a button I added to my sidebar, if you'd like to pick it up. Just copy the text in the text area with the pale yellow background and paste it on your bird photo blog post...it will automatically add the button and the link, directing anyone who wants to participate back to here.
nice shots...
ReplyDeleteThanks!!! I enjoyed your latest painting too.
DeleteBeautiful images! We have seen only a few Wood Storks in our south Florida lake this year, all of them adults. They have not even attempted to nest at Corkscrew Swamp for the past few years, though a few have colonized in west Palm Beach County. Seems there has always been either too much or too little water for successful breeding.
ReplyDelete...thing is, they're supposed to BE in Florida, I was surprised to come upon one here in Texas.
DeleteGorgeous shots!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mama Z!
DeleteGreat pictures you show an ibis - it resembles a stork can also read that it is in the "stork family" .... Wishing you a good day / good new week. Hanne Bente
ReplyDeleteIt's a stork, not an ibis. Have a great week yourself Hanne.
Deletethe bird fly...i like it this shots..remember about my village,
ReplyDeleteI did visit with you....your last post was the sunset images.....gorgeous.
DeleteWhat great pictures of the stork! I wonder how the stories of storks carrying babies came to be?!!!
ReplyDelete...I know, I've wondered the very same.
Deletei have never seen this bird. standing in the water, it looks like the body of an egret. the neck resembles a vulture....
ReplyDeletewith a 5 foot wingspan, it must have been magnificant to see it in flight.
i enjoyed the information you included!!
i also enjoyed the comment you left for me at it's all about purple! thanks for visiting!!
....well, it definitely wouldn't win any beauty contests that's for sure. But, all in all, they ARE amazing. It was great to see it take off in flight....they're huge.
DeleteGood pics Anni. Wow though what a huge bill, But guess it can eat big frogs, toads and snakes too?
ReplyDelete...it was dining on the catch of the day at this point when I came upon it....FISH
DeleteLovely shots of this stately bird!
ReplyDelete...they're 'prettier' when they fly than a close-up, I think. LOL
Deletei love these birds. so prehistoric looking. i had the pleasure of having one up here in NE Tx one winter. stayed around a few days. so cool!
ReplyDeleteI think you nailed it!!!! "prehistoric" fits perfectly.
DeleteOh my looks like this bird is huge and the beak looks like it can make a hold on my head hehehe! Thanks for linking Water World Wedneday I do appreciate it Anni. ^_^
ReplyDelete...I appreciate you giving me a chance to share them with the WWW Kim.
DeleteA splendid post for WBW!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful captures!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDelete...thanks Gary.
DeleteExcellent images of a species we don't get to see over here.
ReplyDelete....glad I could share the stork with you then, Frank.
DeleteBeautiful photos of an interesting bird.
ReplyDeleteI am happy to know you found this post interesting Mick.
DeleteI've never seen one of these other then in photos. How fortunite you have been to get to see the real thing up close and personal.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the visit to my ducks this week.
...and thank YOU for stopping by to repay the visit Rita.
DeleteThe wood stork is a cool looking bird! Great shots, Anni!
ReplyDelete...thanks Eileen
DeleteWow, what a cool bird! Great shots!
ReplyDelete...thanks Irene.
DeleteOne of these birds that is not beautiful. But it has a certain charm. :) Great shots.
ReplyDelete...no, not that pretty to look at but still an incredible bird!!
DeleteBeautiful shots of the Wood Stork Anni! That would be a lifer for me!
ReplyDelete...it was an incredible spotting for me Larry.
DeleteLove the last shot Anni.
ReplyDeleteMy Water World entry.
Glad you enjoyed the post Rose.
DeleteBeautiful and unusual photographs. I am greeting
ReplyDelete...thanks for visiting!!
Deletea really interesting stork; lovely series
ReplyDelete...thanks Carole
DeleteYour shots are beautiful, Anni. Great info also.
ReplyDeleteWe have quite a few Wood Storks here in sunny south Florida. Easily spotted in flight with their black tipped wings. During breeding season they gather at the canals along our roadways.
...I've read that they're seen mostly IN Florida...rare in Texas
Delete...thanks for the positive feedback!
ReplyDeleteWonderful shots of bird.
ReplyDeleteNice captures!
ReplyDelete...thanks Terri, and hope you'll return anytime.
DeleteHi there - thats a nice - if rather ugly! - bird!
ReplyDeleteI thought I’d let you know that I stepped into the void caused by Springmans decision to close down World Bird Wednesday by setting up Wild Bird Wednesday (!) on my photoblog at Paying Ready Attention – Photo Gallery.
Feel free to visit and link.
Stewart M - Australia
I'll join in!!!
Delete