Caracara...aka...



...the Mexican Eagle

Mainly the Caracara [named the Crested Caracara] is a carrion eater. Related to the falcon but normally seen eating as and/or with vultures. Their diet is more on the line of with scavenger hunters instead of killing prey in flight. The Caracaras are Neotropical, meaning Lower Mexico, the Caribbean area, and South America. Tho, they have been seen [but severely declining] as far north into Texas, Florida and some parts of Arizona in the United States....













CRESTED CARACARA
photos taken:  Hwy 361 - on Mustang Island, between Padre Island and the seaport town of Aransas Pass, Texas [two different areas, miles apart]


Body Length - up to 2 feet
Wingspan - up to 4 feet
Weighing about average of 3 pounds










47 comments:

  1. I've always thought those were very cool looking birds, but I've never seen one other than in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni.
    Incredibly beautiful pictures you show.
    I put a throw to you - but it can not be seen.
    Wishing you a good Sunday :)
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a species I'd love to see in the wild. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're seldom seen. These are the 2nd series in 10 years.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That appears to be a BIG bird! I don't think I have seen one here - if I did, I wouldn't have known what it was anyway! Great shots of them, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....they are large. I doubt if they've ever been as far north as where you live. They're rare in Texas even.

      Delete
  5. They're stunning!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am always thrilled to see the caracaras! thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...do you see a lot of them in North Texas?

      Delete
  7. Fantastisch und herrliche Bilder.
    Am Mittwoch zeige ich meine Vögel.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are amazing shots..sorry I got the weeks confused with my link..sigh..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no problem....just glad you came back and re-entered your link.

      Delete
  9. Rather mean looking but I'd love to see a Caracara Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they do look a bit on the 'grumpy' side don't they?

      Delete
  10. lol, great shots. I saw thid bird in CostaRica. But not this close. It is a stunning bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Nora, for such positive feedback and linking up for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots of the Crested Caracara Anni! I love that preening photo. We do have one spotted up here in Northern California, over on the coast in Arcata.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome is that? In California. Well, I'll be.

      Delete
  13. Amazing bird .... great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Magnificent shot, I like how you have captured the beauty of this bird.
    Indeed, in my picture if there is water.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos of an interesting bird.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great looking bird! They do have a splendid look to them!

    Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. ...thanks. Glad you stopped by and took time to leave a comment. That is most encouraging.

      Delete
  18. I hate to hear they are declining. Handsome fella. And thanks for linking me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so sad, so many are part of the list of population decline.

      Delete

Table of Contents