...I did! I did see a snipe!!!
PS...Today begins the Christmas Bird Count!! Link on my sidebar if you care to participate.
...now share your birding experiences:
Some time ago, I had mentioned in a comment response that "I want to spot and photograph a snipe!!" I knew they were here in our area of Texas, but had yet to see one in real time. While on the islands, birding, naturally, we returned to Port Aransas's 'hot spot' in hopes of seeing an American Robin that was reported being spotted there. Now, we don't see robins here often...I've only seen ONE in our decade here on the coast of Texas. And then, at that, it was just a fleeting moment, all to short a time to even get a camera focused on it before it disappeared. Well, the day we were in Port "A" we walked the boardwalk back into the woodsy area, and there was a robin just as pretty as you please!! It was there as reported. Thing is, it immediately flew off into the high, thick branches [trees here are evergreen live oak mainly] to not come back out while we were there. We waited. Skimmed our binoculars over the ground covering, the tall grasses, and into the trees. No more robin. In fact the only other bird activity we saw in this area was a lone catbird by the drip system, and a couple of Lincoln Sparrows and a single warbler...and the warbler, I wasn't able to identify 'cause it flew off into the willows. I'm thinking it was a Tennessee Warbler because of the coloration. Okay, so we started to leave the area back to the parking lot, and Bud and I stopped at the last observation deck just before walking out of the tree covering. While we stood there, searching for any activity in the trees, from the corner of my eyes, I spotted some movement in a marshy covered area from a recent rainstorm. There...before my eyes...was a snipe!!!! A Wilson's Snipe!! --and the camera went berserk!! By the way, enlarge the photos and check out the lone tail feather...cool, huh? And the trivia this week, especially the latter of the two I share, is quite interesting. Something I did NOT know...
This snipe sighting makes my bird tally 184 different birds in 2013; 179 photographed]
WILSON'S SNIPE
photo taken: Paradise Pond, Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range: Wilson's Snipe
TRIVIA:
- The Wilson's Snipe was recently recognized as a different species from the Common Snipe of Eurasia. The two snipes look extremely similar, but differ in the shape, patterning, and usually the number of the tail feathers. The Wilson's Snipe typically has 16 tail feathers, whereas the Common Snipe has 14.
- The long bill of the Wilson's Snipe is flexible. The tips can be opened and closed with no movement at the base of the bill. Sensory pits at the tip of the bill allow the snipe to feel its prey deep in the mud.
PS...Today begins the Christmas Bird Count!! Link on my sidebar if you care to participate.
...now share your birding experiences:






You got some very nice photos of the usually elusive snipe. Funny-- I grew up calling them Wilson's Snipe before they changed their name to Common Snipe-- then just when I started getting used to their new name they switched back to Wilson's.
ReplyDeletewell, you knew more than I did....I just figured both Europe and America snipes were the same. But, then, come to think about it...it couldn't have been. They do look so very identical tho!!
DeleteWonderful sighting and great photos of the snipe ... such a long and useful beak.
ReplyDelete...thanks Linda.
Deletewe get these neat birds stopping at our pond sometimes. so cute and elusive, though.
ReplyDeleteYou have an advantage at your ranch having the pond!! Luck you. This is the first I've ever seen of a snipe.
DeleteCongrats on the Snipe sighting, Anni! They are cool birds! It took me forever to find one of these birds, they are hard to spot. Your photos are awesome. Great post. Thanks for hosting and I wish you a happy weekend!
ReplyDelete...thanks Eileen!
DeleteI think your comment was made on my blog Anni. Now you not only go see a snipe and take great pictures but it has to be a Wilson's Snipe. Well done but I'm jealous now.
ReplyDelete...open invitation Phil!!!
DeleteSuch a cute bird!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting to read!
...thanks Hans.
DeleteThese are awesome shots...so sharp and clear. I hope everyone enlarges them. They are wonderful.
ReplyDelete...thanks Rose
DeleteOh neat, number 5 is my favourite, is he/she glorious.
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed this bird share today, Bob!!
DeleteAlways nice to learn about new birds on your blog.
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed this post this weekend Judith. Loved your chipmunks!!
DeleteThese are fantastic! I've never seen a snipe in the wild, much less photographed one.
ReplyDelete...thanks Brian. Coming from you and your expertise ways of photography, your comment makes me feel good.
DeleteA delightful bird and great photos Anni. I have never seen one of these before.
ReplyDelete...glad that you enjoyed this Denise. It was a first ever for me to spot one.
Deletewhat a beauty, i have never seen one, until now. it looks a little like a white throated sparrow!!
ReplyDeletebeautiful images!!
...thanks Debbie.
DeleteWow! Congratulations on capturing this fellow! I've never seen one. You got some nice shots.
ReplyDeleteGlorious photos - I don't think I've ever seen a snipe. I had never thought of robins as not being is some areas of the country. When we lived in Northern California they wintered there and often the trees would be so full of them that the branches would bend quite a ways down. They are summer birds here in NW Washington and we hear their songs first thing in the morning and last thing at night - they are great summer companions - and yet with so many of them it is still hard to get a good photo.
ReplyDeleteI miss robins...we had them by the hundreds in Colorado, but alas...not this far south. Very seldom is one spotted....scarce.
DeleteOh my GOSH!!! Thank you for this Christmas present! I am almost as excited as you were, because I am a birdwatcher as well. I have never seen one!!! So he has a mouth under his bill? I have never heard of such a thing, that is WILD!!! That long skinny bill, and he is so fat, and no tail...what an odd and strange bird!
ReplyDeleteGinny, you misunderstood...it's beak/mouth is all one, but the tip is flexible.
DeleteHI Anni I am pleased that at last you have been able to see the Snipe and you also got great shotsof it. Last Saturday I was out with a group and we spotted 2 Snipe which were out in the open but too far away for my camera to cope with.
ReplyDeleteThanks Margaret...I bet your bird outings are always fruitful and you certainly have shared some of your expertise in video construction!!!
DeleteBeautiful photos of a snipe!
ReplyDelete...thank you kindly!
DeleteGreat photos of the snipe. I have never seen one. I don't even know if we have them in this area.
ReplyDelete....the habitat map link will always show you were they are normally found. Glad you enjoyed the snipe photos Barb.
DeleteNot only did you see it Anni, your photographed it beautifully!
ReplyDelete...awwwww, thank you Karen. I am pleased to read this as your photography is tops!!
DeleteAmazing texture and intricate pattern details on the feathers. And such a long beak for a little bird. Grand photos.
ReplyDelete...thank you Gemma.
DeleteAnni, thanks for sharing your excellent photos of the Wilson’s Snipe. Saw this bird once on April 6, 2011. But did not get a photo.
ReplyDelete...as you already know by reading, this was a 'first' for me!! You actually record what day you see the birds you see? Maybe I should begin doing that.
DeleteCongrats on the snipe! It's a very pretty bird.
ReplyDelete...thanks Gunilla.
DeleteBig congrats on the snipe!! I have never seen one, and may never, so I know what a big deal this is. You also got some fantastic photos of him with great feather details. Truly awesome. :) P.S. I will be adding to the link-up tomorrow. :)
ReplyDelete...thanks Gail...I always look forward to your birding experiences/photos!!
DeleteWhoa..this is such a fabulous looking bird! Beautiful photographed!
ReplyDelete...thanks. Glad you liked the post this week.
DeleteNever seen one of them before. I am amazed at all the different birds you find to share with us.
ReplyDelete...this area of Texas is always listed as the birdiest in USA...so I'm privileged living with so many different kinds of birds!!
DeleteI too love the snipes. You got great images. I had the opportunity to see a few of them not far away from where I live, It was nice.
ReplyDelete...they ARE pretty and very interesting to watch while they feed!!
DeleteLOL....ya, I hoot sometimes when I see birds I've been searching for a long time. Glad you enjoyed this post Nora.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful shots of the Wilson's Snipe Anni! Good luck on your Christmas bird count too. I hope it was very fruitful!
ReplyDelete...thanks Larry. I really enjoyed your 'best of 2013' post.
DeleteCongratulations on some really sharp images of this stunner. I just learnt about the tail feather count..... it should be a trivia question.
ReplyDeleteyes...it should be a question for trivia. They're so unique, I was really pleased to spot it. Thanks Dave
DeleteGreat shots of the bird.
ReplyDelete...thanks Rajesh
DeleteThese are just wonderful!!!
ReplyDelete...thanks Mary
DeleteCongratulations on seeing and photographing the Snipe. A wonderful moment!!
ReplyDelete...thanks Mick
Delete:) Wonderful!
ReplyDelete...thanks...glad you liked the images this week.
DeleteWell done, I'm pleased you got your Snipe at last. We have good numbers of Common Snipe on our patch, but they are not easy to get pics of.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Gprdpn.
...thanks Gordon. Around here, they're not all too common. At least I haven't seen but just this one. So far.
DeleteCongrats on the lifer and thank you for the wonderful pictures of it! Neat.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sallie. Glad you enjoyed them this week.
Delete