A tropical falcon version of a vulture, meaning they tend to consume carrion most often, the Crested Caracara [aka, in folklore, Mexican Eagle] can be spotted just about everywhere in my 'hometown' vicinity year 'round. From the Gulf shores to the ranch fields and cotton farmland. EVEN about a block from where I live in the subdivision!! Near where our home is located, there is a drainage ditch constructed by the city, and one morning as we pulled out of the neighborhood to turn onto a main street to head toward the freeway, this caracara [top four images] was just sitting pretty as you please near the curb/gutter of the street, just a few feet from the ditch, and looking directly at us through the windshield of our car. The next two images [the two of a caracara atop a power pole] were taken near King's Ranch along a highway. For those of you that may be interested [and perhaps not Texan], King Ranch is one of the world's largest operating cooperations that was once covering a good portion of Texas back in the 1800s. And, for me at least, the last two images are rather an unusual sighting in a downtown park near the bay...it flew above us by just a few feet and then landed in a tree yards away from us on the path!! All images were taken throughout 2013, at different intervals.








CRESTED CARACARA
photos taken: my neighborhood - Corpus Christi, Texas * Near King's Ranch - Kleberg County, Texas * Hans Suter Nature Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range: Crested Caracara
TRIVIA:








CRESTED CARACARA
photos taken: my neighborhood - Corpus Christi, Texas * Near King's Ranch - Kleberg County, Texas * Hans Suter Nature Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range: Crested Caracara
TRIVIA:
Many raptors [Crested Caracara are of the Falcon family] take advantage of their ability to fly fast by swooping out of the air to grab prey. The Crested Caracara is a slow flyer which is why they look for dead things to eat.
They are Mexico’s national bird. [perhaps reasoning why they're nicknamed Mexican Eagle?!!] Size about 2 feet [.60960 meters] - with open wingspan about 4 feet [1.2192 meters].
...now share your birding experiences:
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, I love these birds, they are cool looking. Great shots and post. Thanks for hosting! Enjoy your weekend!
Wishing you all the best in 2014 and a Happy Healthy New Years!
I sure wish I could see the crested caracara in person! Such a neat looking bird. Happy New Year and thank you for hosting the meme!!
ReplyDeleteI've never seen one, but I love these birds! They're so cool looking. Nice shots!
ReplyDeleteSure looks like an interesting bird. Thank you for hosting and a Happy New Year to you!
ReplyDeleteLovely birds to see...
ReplyDeletei love being able to spot them here in NE Tx.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful bird!! Again, one I have never heard of! It really does look like some kind of tropical parrot.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. great shots of this lovely rid. While travelling in Paraguay I often came across them with road kill. may I wish you a very HAPPY 2014. And may you have many birding opportunities.
ReplyDeleteThose caracaras are such really handsome birds Anni. I'd love to get to photograph one like you did. Not much chance over here though!
ReplyDeleteHave a great New Year the both of you, and thanks for your hosting all this time.
Anni, splendid photos of this unique bird. Happy New Year to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteI saw the Caracara in CostaRica and I liked the "proud" posture it has. Different from other birds I think.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a Happy New Year!
Nice the convention is going to be in your area or do you like it somewhere off so you can travel? Like the photos as always.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting bird! I can definitely see why it's sometimes called a Mexican Eagle.:)
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting! Happy New Year!
Happy New Year Anni and thanks for hosting the Bird D'pot! Love the Caracara shots. We had one over on the Northern California Coast but I never made it over there to see it. It would be a lifer for me ;-)
ReplyDeleteThose are great photos! Thanks so much for being a wonderful host each week! Hope 2014 is a great year for you!
ReplyDeleteI love seeing caracaras. We don't have them in our neighborhood but they are not too far away. Happy New Year, Anni, and thanks for visiting my blog!
ReplyDeleteAnni - these are great pictures! Birds are hard to get good shots of because they're always moving, but you did good!
ReplyDelete