Tex US Nature...




While at the Oso Bay Observation platform, watching this Great Blue Heron and his dining on the eel [which I posted at Hootin' Anni's also and added here for the week: below   It's a 3 minute youtube I composed. Just click on the image it should open for viewing].  NOTE:  Thanks to Ken for enlightening me...this wasn't an EEL, it was a Siren Salamander!!  I was side-tracked while going shutter-button crazy when Bud, my sometime spotter, told me that a black and white bird just landed on the back side of us. I turned away from the Heron to see what he saw, and it was a bird I haven't had the opportunity to photograph before. At least in this 'age bracket'. It is a Little Blue Heron, in its 1st year plumage. So, distracted as I was, I took a few photos and turned back to the 'action' in front of me only 'cause I was anxious to get the eel being 'swallowed' whole, AND besides the Little Blue quickly vacated the premises; flying off.


GREAT BLUE HERON [below] & Little Blue Heron
photos taken: Oso Bay Nature Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas







Also, the first week of last month I spotted and photographed another banded bird. This time 'round it was a Wilson's Plover. I sent the photo thru an email to report the sighting/area found. I received a reply email from the bander...








From: David N *omitted info here*
To: anni *omitted info here*
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 11:22 AM
Subject: FW: Aux. marker report. (BBL Marker Ref Id: 57869)

Hi Anni,

This report was forwarded to me from the Bird Banding Lab. This is a bird I marked at Charlie’s Pasture last year for a project examining nesting ecology and nest success of Wilson’s and Snowy Plovers. The project is continuing this year and we will be marking additional birds soon.

Thanks for reporting this sighting!

David



David N
Director
[more info omittted]



Sit back, relax, turn on your volume/speakers, and hopefully enjoy the nature slideshow I composed...
God Blessed Tex-us!! Just click on the thumbnail provided below. It's a little over 3 minutes' viewing time.


If the image and link doesn't load properly, here is the url: https://youtu.be/ndonyu0di_U





Now share your birding experiences:







For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

27 comments:

  1. Hello Anni, I love the look of the Little Blue. I have not seen one with so much of the white and blue together. The Plover is cute, great sighting. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great production and perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful images of the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like your report was helpful. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the little blue's mottled coloration is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little blue heron is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series of the blue heron, Anni! I'll be back to watch your video - how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely capture of this little blue heron. Such a beautiful llittle bird

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice captures of the young LBH. That's a great series of the GBH and the unfortunate eel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Little Blue Heron! Really pretty coloration on him. And once again...the slide show w/ music is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Little Blue Heron has quite the speckled plumage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The herons are gorgeous! I feel sorry for the little plover having to wear an ankle bracelet. He didn't get a fair trial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous pictures and new insights! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful pictures of these beautiful birds !!
    Have a nice Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice views of the Lille Blue in transitional plumage. The video and song are great. I notice that the creature that the Great Blue is eating may have small front legs, suggesting it may be an amphibian (siren species of salamander) rather than a fish.This is more likely in fresh water as I don't think sirens favor sea water but am not sure. I have photos of a Little Blue Heron eating a siren and also a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron feeding what looks like one to a nestling. (Hope I/m not having another "Warbling Vireo" moment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ken....nope, not this time....I am very appreciative of your id help.

      Delete
  16. Anni, nice capture of Little Blue. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Little Blue Heron is in unusual plumage Anni. I watched your video and I too thought it was an eel until I read Ken's comment. I'll bow to his superior (and local) knowledge.

    Nice work in reporting the marked bird too, I'm sure the banders appreciate every sighting they get. Not everyone would bother to report I'm sure.

    Have a good week Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that´s a nice video you made a gret job doing it. :) And the little blue looks great in this plumage :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. so very cool!! i have never seen a little blue looking so "different" then what i am use to seeing!!! great video!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome video of the GBH! Wow. What a sight. Love the juvenile Little Blue. They remind me of a calico at that stage. All wonderful shots. What a successful outing you had. Thanks for hosting the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos . . . we have blue herons here, too. They are so much fun to spot.
    Great outing, thanks for letting us tag along:)
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant you finding another banded bird! The little blue is very sweet in its younger stages... I've never seen that and probably wouldn't have known what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Little Blue heron is fascinating, I especially like the photos in flight, and especially with its wings downswept and beak and feet stretched out so magnificently. The Plover is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. the eel series is amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Truly a beautiful blue heron. In the Netherlands, they are not nearly as beautiful as here with you. Really nice pictures of these birds.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  26. Neat that you found a banded bird! It reminds me, for a while there was/maybe still is a "Here's George" program to track marked dollar bills and see where they go. I have a feeling tracking birds might be a more rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents