While not getting out birding as often as I want lately, Bud and I did set aside time to attend the Bazemore Hawkwatch Celebration of Flight a couple of weekends ago. The park's drive around the ponds and along the river is cordoned off from vehicle traffic and only pedestrian traffic allowed during the event. Before the live raptor show, the two of us walked around a bit and saw the usual feathered residents...stilts, mockingbirds, sparrows [Bud and others saw three olive sparrows, but I with the camera, couldn't find 'em.], doves, kingbirds, ibis [both white faced and white], mottled ducks, spoonbills, egrets, hummingbirds, cardinals, and while up on the hawkwatch platform a 'kettle' of anhingas flew over in the thermal airwaves. When the live show began, I was armed with the lens activated...and enjoyed the talents and intelligence of several trained birds. I have dozens of images to show from this exhibit, so the size will be much smaller for loading time. They CAN be enlarged by clicking on any for a slideshow:Firstly, a couple that can be seen in our area, but rather scarce to nil. The Harris Hawk would be considered 'rare' along our coastal bay area, as they are mostly farther inland and along the Rio Grande and up north.
HARRIS HAWK
photos taken: Bazemore Hawkwatch 2015 - Calallen, Texas
habitat map: Harris Hawk
Next to show us, a Barn Owl! If you're out, and lucky, in the pre-dawn or at dusk, driving along the wooded or ranch lands of our area near Chapman Ranch [on the outskirts of Corpus Christi and have been reported spotted in the vicinity many times], you may see one!! They're dazzling!!
BARN OWL
photos taken: Bazemore Hawkwatch 2015 - Calallen, Texas
habitat map: Barn Owl
The next two in the show are 1]from Europe and 2]from Australia. The trainers didn't explain how they came about having them, but still...very beautiful, and oh so interesting to see in our part of the world!!
A European Kestrel -eventually displaying their habit of 'mantling' which after catching prey, they open their wings to hide their food from other predators:
[above the kestrel is mantling]
EUROPEAN KESTREL [common kestrel - I believe this is Female]
photos taken: Bazemore Hawkwatch 2015 - Calallen, Texas
habitat map: Kestrel
...and lastly, the Australian Kookaburra [more specifically the Laughing Kookabura]
The name "laughing kookaburra" refers to the bird's "laugh", which it uses to establish territory amongst family groups. It can be heard at any time of day, but most frequently shortly after dawn and after sunset to dusk. One bird starts with a low, hiccuping chuckle, then throws its head back in raucous laughter.
LAUGHING KOOKABURRA
photos taken: Bazemore Hawkwatch 2015 - Calallen, Texas
habitat map: Kookaburra
A marvelous, entertaining and educational exhibit!! We were once interrupted by a side show above us with a couple of ospreys trying to 'steal' the limelight. Didn't work.
Now share your birding experiences:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:





























I love the kookaburra. And their laugh! Such a great name too. I have a funny illustration of one on my website.
ReplyDeleteThey're amazing birds. I felt privileged to be at the hawkwatch that day to have an opportunity to see these.
Deleteyou got to see some exotics up close! love the harris! so beautiful.
ReplyDelete...indeed they are beautiful. And bright eyed, intelligent beyond human comprehension.
DeleteHow interesting that you got to see our UK Kestrel. I wish I could get swop and see the little American Kestrel.
ReplyDeleteI always thought that the Kookaburra was a member of the family of Kingfishers
Whatever it is certainly a cracking bird.
Good to hear you prefer birding to shopping Anni. I'm working on Sue to see sense but it's a hard job.
Yes, the group that showed up for the 'show' of flight...we were informed that the kookaburra IS a member of the Kingfisher family.
DeleteOh Anni, your photos are fantastic. What a show of magnificent rapters. The Barn Owl with raised wings is a beautiful capture, and also the ones of the European Kestral displaying her fan tail. Just love the Kookaburra's smiley face and those big eyes are so appealing, and not to leave the big guy out, the Harris Hawk has a presence like no other,.. such an impressive bird of prey. A wonderful series of photos!:)
ReplyDeleteThe underside of the owl's wings remind me of mashed potatoes with a dash of pepper!!! I guess I am hungry,
DeleteThanks.
Great photos!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Anne
DeleteFab shots, Anni!
ReplyDeleteThanks Janice
DeleteI love the Kookaburra, beautiful images Anni.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos! I especially love the beauty of the barn owl you've featured.
ReplyDeleteIt WAS a beautiful bird...the photos seriously don't do it justice. But, thanks.
DeleteHello Anni, the bird of prey show looks awesome. I just love the Harris Hawk and the Barn Owl. Wonderful images. Thank you for hosting, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen.
DeleteAnni, these are awesome shots- especially the owl! I don't think I have ever seen a Harris Hawk before.
ReplyDeleteThanks Terri.
DeleteWonderful photos!
ReplyDeleteHope you are having a great week-end!
Lea
Thanks Lea...and you too, have a great weekend.
DeleteFabulous photos Anni, to be so close to these awesome birds, what a thrill.
ReplyDeleteOh to be a trainer and have the opportunity to handle them....::::sigh::: Thanks Denise.
DeleteWhat beautiful hawks! Thanks for sharing these.
ReplyDeleteThank YOU for visiting Linda.
DeleteFabulous photos of these handsome birds! Enjoy your weekend, Anni!
ReplyDeleteThanks, and have a great weekend too Gunilla!!
DeleteFabolous pictures of the raptors and the kookaburra. I too photographed a common kestrel last year at a zoo in Sweden. Quite a small bird to my surprise. I wish you a good sunday!
ReplyDeleteYes, for a raptor they do seem small. But ever so beautiful!!! Thanks Christina
DeleteThe images of all the birds of prey are fabulous as are the Laughing Kookaburra. Have a lovely week ahead
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly Margaret.
Deletethis seem to such a great event. I wish we had something similar in Sweden. But I don´t know of anything even close to this. So many great species and gorgeous photos :)
ReplyDeleteThank you!!!
DeleteOh my goodness girl - what stunning photos you got! That hawk is absolutely gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jen....if you have the comment replies synced with your email...you may want to check YOUR comments about books today!!!
DeleteWhat a fantastic post, Anni!! Beautiful shots of the gorgeous Harris Hawk, one of my favorites! And that barn owl! So beautiful! All the shots are amazing, and I am so glad you attended that day and are sharing your photos. Just sheer joy!
ReplyDeleteThanks Marie.
DeleteVery nice pictures - I love Barn Owls - I have not seen one in Australia yet - but I once lived in house where were saw them most days for one whole winter - it was great!
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
PS: somebody seems to have stolen one of our birds!
I know....and funny thing Stewart, when they brought out the kookaburra, I immediately thought of you!
DeleteLovely set of birdies, Anni. I haven't been able to contribute much in the way of birds lately, but found a few around Columbus.
ReplyDelete~
Well, happy to hear that some are showing up now.
DeleteOh Anni, I would love to see these beauties close up like you have, just marvelous! I have a friend here in KY who is a Master Falconer and he has a Harris Hawk named Tara and she will purr like a cat when she sees him, so sweet~
ReplyDeleteThanks Mary
Deletethe owl stole my heart....the close-ups are just amazing!!!!!
ReplyDeleteReminded me of a book I read recently...the barn owl named Wesley.
DeleteThanks Debbie.
That Harris's Hawk is beautiful. I have a photo of a Cooper's hawk also shielding its prey. I came upon it and thought it was injured until it flew away with a cardinal! We saw our first Barn Owl on our local patch-- it was exciting. It almost looked pure white in the predawn darkness.
ReplyDeleteThis was an amazing event! Thanks for stopping by Ken.
DeleteThese shows do so much to educate the public. Amazing photos!!!
ReplyDelete(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!