Choke Canyon State Park


A few weeks back I mentioned on a post that I spotted/photographed another banded bird and was waiting for any information on it. Recently, I received another certificate from my reporting the sighted Piping Plover!!! I never fail to be impressed with this knowledge shared when a marked bird is seen!! This one in particular was born in 2012, banded in 2013...in North Dakota. I photographed and reported it sighted along Padre Island National Seashore [about 15 miles East of Chapman Ranch...which covers a distance of an estimated 1500 to 1600 miles from its birthplace], along the beach's shoreline. Imagine, within a few years of probably migrating from North Dakota to South Texas; it never ceases to boggle my mind that such a tiny creature flies so many miles to grace my morning!! Here is the certificate with the pertinent information on this Plover...


...and here are photos of the little rascal!! Standing Proud...


PIPING PLOVER [non breeding plumage]
photos taken: Padre Island National Seashore
habitat range: Piping Plover


On October 30th, Bud and I drove to Choke Canyon State Park about 80 miles from home. Stopping for a few hours in the morning light, on a dreary, overcast day, we found several species of birds:

WILD TURKEYS
habitat range: Wild Turkey

FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCKS [and American Coots]
habitat range: Fulvous Duck


EASTERN PHOEBE
habitat range: Eastern Phoebe


AMERICAN KESTREL
habitat range: American Kestrel


GREEN JAY
habitat range: Green Jay


SAVANNAH SPARROW [dark form]
habitat range: Savannah Sparrow


VERMILION FLYCATCHER [female]
habitat range: Vermilion Flycatcher


OSPREY
habitat range: Osprey


ALL PHOTOS TAKEN in the area of Choke Canyon State Park [Calliham Unit] - Near Three Rivers, Texas



Now share your birding experiences:









For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

15 comments:

  1. Oh that plover is too lovely! Love the whistling ducks too! Fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your header Anni. now that Plover is really cute and you have a wownderful variety of lovely birds in this post. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the Piping Plover sighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plover is wonderful ... What a n accomplishment to spot him, congratulations ... You are a true birder, contributing your knowledge to all in so many ways! And love the great variety you saw on your recent outing. The green jay is so neat, we saw them once only and of course in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a timely header. Those brown whistling ducks are sure brown and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Texas Anni. I'm just envious of your certificate. It's a great way for the banders to show their appreciation of the time and trouble you took to report your sighting. Over here folk who report a ringed bird just get a rather boring letter rather than a certificate of thanks.

    Meanwhile the Piping Plover seems delighted to be the star of your show? Nice work with your other pictures, especially the Vermilion Flycatcher.

    Enjoy your week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, anni! Awesome birds and photos. I love the cute plover and the whistling ducks. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a prolific birding session!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anni!:) Congratulations on receiving the certificate, it's well deserved. Adorable Plover images, what a sweetie, and thank you for sharing all the other birds you photographed, especially the Whistlers and Fly catcher. My share this week is another cheeky one I'm afraid. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so amazing that such a small and fragile-looking bird can make such a journey, and that you were able to obtain a clarion-clear photo of its colored leg bands. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni, the banded plover was a great discovery. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Plover is so adorable, standing tall, Anni. The whistling ducks looks like a rowdy fun bunch, and the Vermillion flycatcher has such pretty colors. I wish I were there to see all the pretty birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so many rings for that little bird. Quite amazing. But I guess it helps with the ID. You don´t have to read any letters.

    Beautiful post as always . Thanks for sharing and hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post, Anni - you posted a lot of nice photos!!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents