This post is entirely dedicated to ONE species. The Sandpiper I've been 'chasing' for way over two years and finally, Bud spotted them in the parkland outskirts of Corpus Christi this Spring. At first there were four, then eleven, then fifteen! My attempt at getting photos was nixed...when I got home the images were mostly blurred. None good enough to add to my framed images on the wall at home. I then returned to the park, alone, and thankfully there were three of the birds remaining in the grassy fields. And....luckily they had moved closer to the park road where I could use my zoom from the car window without scaring them away too far from me. Here is the all elusive Upland Sandpiper. I now endearingly call 'em....UPS -U P land Sandpiper...they finally delivered the perfect package!!










UPLAND SANDPIPER
photos taken: Bill Witt City Park - between Corpus Christ & Flour Bluff, Texas
habitat range: Sandpiper
TRIVIA:
Sometimes I've been lucky at finding a rare bird on the very first day out searching, like the Painted Redstart. Other times, not so lucky...it took me three trips to Bishop Texas to find the Black Phoebe. And the several attempts spotting the Bartailed Godwit a few years back. Okay, now I have found and photographed the sandpiper after the longest 'hunt' yet! It's kinda like the Cerulean Warbler last year when I found that one... wanting to actually see a particular bird; hoping for something so badly for so long and once you have it, you're lost at what to do next [no I'm not gonna be disinterested in the sandpiper just 'cause I got my photo]. But, there are still others I continue to search for....the rare Aplomado Falcon which has been reintroduced to Mustang Island, the Spotted Towhee which is considered a rarity in my part of the globe, and another species comes to mind that I 'grew up with' when living as a youngster in Colorado...the yellow headed blackbird. The YHBB is here by a few numbers during Spring Migration. Maybe I will see one again sometime. It's all called.........birding!!!
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
I´m so happy a few of the sandpipers was still there when you returned. This is a beautiful bird and well worth a frame :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting :)
I'm glad it was worth the wait. And not just one, but fifteen! They do look like they belong on the beach.
ReplyDeleteTruly a wonderful array of this sandpiper. Beautiful and clear detailsen beautiful color. I wish you a very happy evening.
ReplyDeleteRegards, Helma
Wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThey are so pretty!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie
Well done Anni and of course to eagle-eye Bob for providing the opportunity for you to get this lovely series of shots of the UPS at long last. .
ReplyDeleteThis is so awesome, Anni! Good for you! Like you, I never lose the JOY of seeing a bird, even after the "hunt" is over. So glad you were able to get some good pictures for your wall. What a pretty bird UPS is! Happy birding!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Anni, those are great UPS shots!
ReplyDelete~
Outstanding Anni and such beautiful shots of this cute bird. I particularly enjoyed the ones where he seems to be looking directly at you. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteThey are wonderful! Great photos. Glad you went back. I too would love to see a yellow-headed blackbird.
ReplyDeleteIt really is hard to describe how exciting it is to see a 'new' bird and get lots of great photos....to someone that doesn't share our fun. We love everything about nature and we always see something interesting when we get outside. Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness-- you saw an Uppie right up close. It is still not on my "official" list, although I saw one at a great distance in Manitoba years ago, when a tour leader pointed it out. It just doesn't count! What a great find!, and so well documented!
ReplyDeleteAwesome photos! It's a pretty bird and it blends in perfectly with the surroundings. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThat's a special bird Anni. You got special photos too. Isn't it funny how some species show little fear of people? I think it's to do with the areas these species breed and where they have no experience of man's ways they have no reason to fear them.
ReplyDeleteThe Upland Sandpiper I saw here in the Uk amny years ago ended up being fed worms by hand from the birders - very naughty.
Thanks for letting me join in today.
Have a great week you and Bud.
Wow !! Gorgeous photos of birds !!
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend :)
It is always great when you see a bird that you have not seen and photographed and indeed these a great shots of the bird.
ReplyDeleteAnni, what a wonderful Upland Sandpiper collection. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletePersistence was rewarded by getting some great pictures.
ReplyDeleteUPS…I love that! You got some wonderful pictures Anni. I love all the different angles and that closeup of its eye!
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures, the fifth one in the set is my favorite... attitude in that one.
ReplyDeleteAnother one I have not seen before. Great shots, I am glad you went back to try again.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great looking bird - glad you finally got to see them! They seem to have huge eyes!
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Way to go! What a fun bird. I enjoyed seeing their photos.
ReplyDeleteCongrats!!!!! That is an awesome bird. I've only seen it once but I love their calls and strange looking appearance. I'm hoping we can find some this summer. Great photos.
ReplyDelete