Pollywog Ponds and "Foot Shipping"...


Nearly a couple of weeks ago, in Victoria County [about 90 miles from where I live in Corpus Christi], a rare bird was spotted and photographed. It was reported on the ABA TX Birds....Bud and I planned to go the following day after the report, then, several 'bird chasers' had updated the forum that there was now a 'no show'...statement  by one birder, he saw it fly off to the southwest. The morning we planned on driving there to see if we could find it, many many birders said "it's left"!! Well, that saved us time and gas money. LOL!! The bird was a stork. More specifically a Jabiru! Maybe someday again another vagrant will show itself in the land of Texas!!!

I walked the backwoods to reach Pollywog Ponds. With no substantial rain [a few short rainstorms have made it into our area at last!] since the flooding in mid-May, the two ponds are drying up as seen here on my personal blog, Hootin' Anni's. But there was a bit of activity: Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets, Green Herons, an immature BC Night Heron, Kiskadees, Stilts, Kingbirds, Cardinals, Flycatchers, Vultures, along with these...


American Avocet


Western Sandpiper


Least Grebe


LEAST GREBE, WESTERN SANDPIPER, AMERICAN AVOCET
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat maps: Grebe, Sandpiper, Avocet

- - -

The following bird photos are from Spring - 2016!! Speaking of Grebes, I have never seen this stance before this season! I found this Pied Billed Grebe at Port Aransas. Honestly, I have never EVER seen  this water bird  prop its legs/feet into its wings such as this one...have you?


Pied Billed Grebe

You'd think: "that's just gotta hurt!!" A contortionist.  And the way it floated around, it was quite entertaining! But my goodness....yep, I hurt just seeing this and thinking how nice to be so flexible. At my age?.... Not on your life!! Okay, so since I re-found these photos in my archive folders, I did some research and read that this is a common maneuver for the grebe [and loons]. Here is a sampling of what I read:
    This action is called FOOT SHIPPING...an inborn trait of grebes and loons.   And scientists now think they do this for a reason. Not only are grebes' legs and feet at or near their buttocks [podiceps -the family/genus of all grebes, in Latin, means just that], but the particular action is common knowledge. And the reason is thought to be a warming technique because grebes' and loons' legs are so located making them very clumsy out of water...walking is too difficult so they remain in the water for most of their lives - even floating nests. I digress....the leg/foot maneuver is now thought to be how they warm their feet and legs when in cold water continually. They first dry their feet, stretching their legs behind their bodies, drying them in the sun/air...then, tuck their feet/legs between their wings...warming up! Nature at its finest!! Here is a series of images of a loon, FOOT SHIPPING

PIED BILLED GREBE
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Grebe


- - -

One more set of photos, then I'll let you share your photos!! While walking the elevated boardwalk at Charlie's Pasture North, in Port Aransas, a lark flew toward me and landed on the walkway behind me. Before it left, I got these three poses on 'film'...


Horned Lark

HORNED LARK
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Lark


Now share your birding experiences:












For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

18 comments:

  1. What a treat this post has been. The plumage detail on the Western Sandpiper is outstanding, as it is with the Horned Lark. The grebe photos are great and I learned something as well-- "Foot Shipping!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. so many beautiful birds. I loved to see the Horned, so fluffy. :) I have seen it once, in Morocco. But, of course for only a few minutes.
    Thanks for hosting the meme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cute is that grebe! thanks for the education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I love the pretty Avocet, Sandpiper and the Lark. The Grebe is just adorable. Foot Shipping is new to me, thanks for the info. Thanks also for hosting. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The horned lark I had never seen. Truly a wonderful bird. The other birds are very beautiful including the stilt and beautiful grebe. Gorgeous!
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice lark, Anni! In fact, all your bird-watching and photography is an inspiration.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about the foot shipping. I'll have to pay more attention now and see if I can spot it. Enjoy your weekend! Hope there are more rare birds on the way through. I'll be glad to get back outside and look around here! lol Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful birds!
    Thanks for hosting this meme!
    Hope you are having a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, there is a good reason for them to do this! My absolute favorite is the black grebe with the penetrating yellow eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are real pretty birds and no I never would have thought the grebe tucked in its feet like that. I learned something knew today, thanks Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the reflections and the colorful lark! Interesting about the grebe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating stuff Anni. I've never seen or heard of grebes doing that trick. Waders yes when they stand on one leg. Love the avocet and the Western Sandpaper - that would be mega bird here. Have a good week aheady friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, sorry to hear that you missed the Jabiru. Thanks for sharing your bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Anni!:) Your images of the American Avocet and Western Sandpiper are stunning. The Horned lark is a beauty, I have only seen the much duller Crested Lark. The Foot Shipping is new to me, but what an amazing feat, really quite extraordinary, as your lovely Pied Billed Grebe photos show.
    All very interesting!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post with superb bird and reflection shots Anni

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearest Anni; Oh My!!! I always admire (or wishing to live closer with nature, haha) with your fantastic birds I can't see with my own eyes here♡♡♡ The first American Avocet is such unique and cute one with long beak♪ And I love the reflection as well☆☆☆
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful array of different birds.
    Perfect sharply photographed.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents