pre-scheduled post while on blogging hiatus...






SCALY BREASTED MUNIA [American Name: Nutmeg Mannikin]
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds - Corpus Christi, Texas
Asian Habitat: Munia

Now, share your birding experiences:
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
The bird here, today, is one that was first considered a feral bird in the United States...either someone 'set them free' from a cage, or perhaps a pet shop owner that closed its doors for good, released the birds into the wild and they eventually procreated. I don't know...and I don't think anyone knows for sure!! But, none-the-less, the American Birding Association has now added this species to the bird count in California, and I'm sure more coastal states will follow their lead; considering they've been recorded and reported by the hundreds [maybe thousands] along the southern-most regions of North America. And I think, eventually, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology will consider this bird in their repertoire. I don't think of myself a bird 'chaser', but if one particular bird shows up confirmed within a 50 mile radius of my home, I will go to get a photo of it! Or at least try. This bird, it's been listed several times over the years being seen in the state of Texas. From Houston, where I first read about it on ebird.org about 5 years ago, to Brownsville, all along the coastal area. It seems they thrive along the subtropical grasslands. But NEVER to my knowledge so close to Corpus Christi. Until this month!! And believe it or not, they were spotted just 15 miles from where I live!!!
Okay, you're probably wondering what special bird this is!! In Asia they're best known as the Scaly Breasted Munia [pronounced MOON yah]. They're also known as Spotted Munia, Nutmeg Mannikin, and Spice Finch.
I think I got both male and female on my short walk to find them. I cannot find the species in any of my North American Bird Guides so I am relying on what I read online. The male has the dark cinnamon head with the scaly white/brown tipped breast feathers...as the female is quite similar but duller in color and less 'breast scales' [both have the darker head while the juvenile is plain and unmarked]. I also heard them chatter...the song is light, soft and a beautiful chirping!! With my research, I believe they are no longer considered feral...as they're reproducing and population numbers continue to climb in our region of the globe.
I think I got both male and female on my short walk to find them. I cannot find the species in any of my North American Bird Guides so I am relying on what I read online. The male has the dark cinnamon head with the scaly white/brown tipped breast feathers...as the female is quite similar but duller in color and less 'breast scales' [both have the darker head while the juvenile is plain and unmarked]. I also heard them chatter...the song is light, soft and a beautiful chirping!! With my research, I believe they are no longer considered feral...as they're reproducing and population numbers continue to climb in our region of the globe.






SCALY BREASTED MUNIA [American Name: Nutmeg Mannikin]
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds - Corpus Christi, Texas
Asian Habitat: Munia
and I've attempted to show the habitat areas where this bird has been confirmed in North America with my 'own map' depiction: Hawaii, Southern California, Coastal Texas Regions, Southwest Louisiana, Mississippi, and the Panhandle of Florida [with Old Mexico that borders California and Puerto Rico/Cuba]. Within the Texas region, I've also read that breeding and nesting have been confirmed, as with California. As far as I can tell they do not migrate, so perhaps they're considered permanent residents throughout. I'm sure more research is needed.

Utilizing ABA's check list and recording my sightings, I amassed a total of 227 different bird species within a 50 mile radius from home for the year 2016 [less than 2015]. "New" birds or ones that I have never before photographed were [19 total]: The Scaly Breasted Munia, Greater Flamingo, Worm Eating Warbler, Carolina Wren, American Golden Plover, Pyrrhuloxia [seen after retiring in AZ, but 1st time in Texas], Krider's Hawk, House Wren, Black Phoebe, Virginia Rail, Sedge Wren, Upland Sandpiper, Black Poll Warbler, Grasshopper Sparrow, Yellow Headed Blackbird [seen when living in Colorado but new in Texas], Hudsonian Godwit, Monk Parakeet, Sooty Tern, Zone Tailed Hawk,
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!
I'm still on holiday break with our son. I hope to get by to view your post and say hello to you all! If not, hope you forgive my absence. My new year's wish for everyone is to be blessed with so many feathered friends around the globe! And hope this coming year y'all share their beauty with us here at I'd Rather B Birdin'!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!
I'm still on holiday break with our son. I hope to get by to view your post and say hello to you all! If not, hope you forgive my absence. My new year's wish for everyone is to be blessed with so many feathered friends around the globe! And hope this coming year y'all share their beauty with us here at I'd Rather B Birdin'!!!
Now, share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
It is great that you got both of the pair, and such beautiful photos! I'll bet that they breed locally this year.
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni! what a pretty bird. Sad that it is not native but it is still cool to see them. Great photos. Thank you for hosting, have a happy weekend! I wish you and your family all the best in 2017, Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteFantastic!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
That is amazing! I am so proud of you AND happy for you! It's a beautiful bird and fantastic to find something not in the bird books! WOW! A dream for all of us! Enjoy your weekend! Happy new year! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteWOW! That is quite a lovely bird.I'm glad you were able to get some photos.Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteOh MY, what a treat! They are beautiful! They have beaks like a sparrow. And I can see why they are called Scaly. The feather pattern does look like scales. But that name does not do them justice. Each feather is white with a delicate black border! Their heads are so impressive. From the looks of their beaks, I would think they eat seeds and nuts. WOW, a perfect New Years bird! Happy new Year, I hope you are having a ball!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a fancy bird! Guess I'll remember the name as "I didn't mean to moon ya!"
ReplyDeleteHappy birding in 2017!
beautiful images of this finch. I have not seen this one but a few of its cousins. :)
ReplyDeleteHope you will have a great 2017 Anni :)
Oh, such beautiful birds !!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for your beautiful friendship blogging in 2016 !!
Happy New Year 2017 !!
" I don't think of myself a bird 'chaser', but if one particular bird shows up confirmed within a 50 mile radius of my home, I will go to get a photo of it!"
ReplyDeleteThat's bird-chasin' in my book, and I'm glad you do it. Wonderful shots, and HAPPY NEW YEAR, Anni!!
~
Hello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful series of photographs of these birds.
I wish you a very happy and healthy 2017
Best regards, Irma
Hi Anni. Good to see you back after the holiday break. And yes, this birding and blogging is good to do as a way of getting mind and body in shape after overeating and overeating.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it interesting how just tiny numbers of stray birds can grow into a self sufficient population? It just shows how resourceful and adaptive some species can be. They are nice looking birds and obviously fit well into the Texas landscape.
Happy New Year - see you soon.
Wow--what a cool looking pair of birds! Those scales DEFINITELY stick out in my mind! Very cool! Congrats!
ReplyDelete