A pelagic bird, on land!
All photos seen below were taken along Rockport Beach Park, in Rockport, Texas
The rookery area is called "Little Island"



SOOTY TERN
habitat map: Tern



ROSEATE SPOONBILL
[and snowy egret/laughing seagull/great blue herons]
habitat map: Spoonbill



GREAT BLUE HERON & CHICKS
habitat map: Heron

REDDISH EGRET [white morph]
habitat map: Egret

OSPREY
habitat map: Osprey

BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
habitat map: Whistling Duck
Now share your birding experiences:
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Not quite a year ago I was in search of an elusive, vagrant, tern that showed itself at Rockport Beach about 30 miles from home. After several attempts in scoping the park area during nesting season, Bud finally spotted it. My previous [2016] can be viewed here. This year, a bit earlier than last, the tern species has returned to the same area! This time he brought two others of his kind with him. Three have been reported. Bud and I drove there on April 18th, only the tern was not spotted while we were there. A couple of days later, I went by myself, leaving before sunrise, to walk the vicinity to hopefully find them. After being there a couple of hours, I began to make my walk back to the car; through the park and along the inlet/bay shore. Off in the distance, about 100 yards [a football field length], I saw, what I thought was the bird I was looking for...among the 1000s of breeding seagulls. I held my binoculars up and focused on the area....by that time, the black winged bird had made itself nearly invisible in the wildflowers and grasses. As I watched the seagulls and their reactions to an intruding bird, I again spotted it!! YES!! Altho, I saw only one of the three seen recently by other birders, it was THE BIRD I had been trying to find and hopefully get better photos of the species. You see, last year, when Bud found the elusive bird, the lone bird did not want to show off its face for us. This time, I stood, and waited patiently...I got a full frontal view of it. Not only that, but the whole body...showing the entire bird and its specs. With the long distance, I had to utilize the zoom lens...
All photos seen below were taken along Rockport Beach Park, in Rockport, Texas
The rookery area is called "Little Island"



SOOTY TERN
habitat map: Tern
While there at the park, I also saw hundreds of Black Skimmers, Laughing Seagulls by the 1000s, several other tern species, tri-colored herons, spoonbills, great blue herons, reddish egrets [both dark and white morph], osprey, black bellied whistling ducks, gadwalls, caracara, pigeons, willets, and more. From the observation deck, I tried to zoom in on the nesting activities on "Little Island" where there are many wooden nest boxes. The Great Blue Herons had already hatched [by the size of the chicks, hatched weeks ago], the spoonbills and egrets were either building a nest or sitting on the nest boxes they prepared for the upcoming event...the tri-colored were active.



ROSEATE SPOONBILL
[and snowy egret/laughing seagull/great blue herons]
habitat map: Spoonbill



GREAT BLUE HERON & CHICKS
habitat map: Heron

REDDISH EGRET [white morph]
habitat map: Egret

OSPREY
habitat map: Osprey

BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
habitat map: Whistling Duck
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
That is an amazing post, I am so happy for you that you got the Sooty Tern.my goodness they probably flew the full length of the Gulf to reach your area. Iwas lucky enough to see them in the Dry Tortugas.
ReplyDeleteTake care, and thank you Gordon.
This Tern is amazing! I have never seen one like it. It's black and white face and long scissor tail are extraordinary! What a find!! I imagine there are none even in our state. My next favorite would be the proud Heron family. What photos!!! They almost look like they are dancing! Next is the Egret carrying building materials, wow! What an amazing weekend post!
ReplyDeleteExciting finding the Sooty Tern Gorgeous bird. Your photos of him and the other shorebirds are wonderful as always!
ReplyDeleteThat tern was a wonderful find, and you got excellent photos! It is great that they have nesting platforms for the waders. I still have never seen the white morph of the Reddish Egret. It is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThe Roseate Spoonbill is one of my favs! It doesn't look quite real to me! lol Love the big baby Herons! They are hungry! And thanks for the flower ID...I know I should remember that it is a Lantana! I CAN remember, can't I? (that's a rhetorical question! haha) Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteYou are in such an amazing area for birding and your photos are always wonderful!
ReplyDeleteIt is quite fun because I too have posted the Sooty Tern today. But my images are from the reefs outside Cairns in Queensland :) Yours are nesting, mine are airborn :)
ReplyDeleteThat's an interesting story Anni. How the tern returned and brought others. I wonder if it is one of those species that is expanding and into your own part of Texas? The habitat looks suitable, especially since there are other terns there.
ReplyDeleteAnni, nice play on words. Plus great photos. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you were able to capture him, Anni! and such great pictures, too! What a handsome looking tern. One of these years I'm going to get down there for the nesting season - so much activity!
ReplyDeleteAmazing amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteLove seeing the black tern - he really is a striking-looking bird! Love the spoonbill, too. Great shots!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, tried to link in, but note says 'registration/trial has expired'. I'll try next time..... :(
DeleteHello , Anni! I would love to see that Tern. Awesome birds and photos ! I am so sorry I am late visiting and commenting. Thanks so much for linking up ! Have a great weekend!
ReplyDelete