This species of bird is very elusive when I'm birding. They're usually hidden [shy almost] in the tall reeds and far off. Once in a while one will surprise me and be flying above; all too quickly for me to focus on it before it's out of range!!
A couple of weeks ago, tho, I spotted one flying INTO the reed grasses, and I followed it with my eye in hopes it'd come into view for me to get photos of it. The place? Port Aransas. This is the only place I've ever seen them. When it came into focusing view, I realized that this one may well have breeding plumage! At least I've never seen one so brightly colored. Their coloration is usually quite duller in appearance. What do you think?...




LEAST BITTERN
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Bittern
Then in another area of the town, I spotted a couple of dozen [give or take a few] babies!!





BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS [ducklings]
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Duck
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
the bittern IS very colorful so I think I agree with you. Great shots anyway. Congrats.
ReplyDeleteAlso to the dick chicks, I am confused as I still, have not seen even mallard chicks. So strange :(
Well done you another good find and brilliant photos, also the ducklinds are gorgious.
ReplyDeleteHave a good weekend, all the bst, Gordon.
Hi Anni, it is always awesome to see the Bitterns. I love the cute whistling ducklings, they are adorable. Great sightings. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy day and weekend!
ReplyDeleteThe baby ducks are like zebra ducks! I'm glad you say what these ducks are, because I had no idea. I don't think they are in this area. But the Bittern is definitely the star of the show!! Your shots are just brilliant, they got me so excited! I have read that Bitterns are the most secretive of all birds! So this is a rare sighting for sure. And now your second one. It is so cool how your eyes were able to follow him. He is beautiful! The way his eyes are up almost on his bill reminds me of Boobies. I would never recognize one, I would have mistaken him for a night heron.Is he very small? They must live in this one area, since you have seen one here before. Splendid and exciting shots.
ReplyDeleteThose babies are adorable, Anni! and the Bittern is beautiful. I could use some of your expertise, if you have time to pop over to my blog. I need help IDing one of my flycatchers. They are so challenging! Have a blessed weekend!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've ever seen a Bittern but it does look brightly colored. What great photos! And the babies? Oh my! There's nothing sweeter. They sure don't look like mama or papa yet, do they? I'm showing off my 'baby blue' today. Thanks for the ID help! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos of the Bittern, and the ducklings are just the cutest things I have ever seen!
ReplyDeleteHope you are having a wonderful week-end!
you got them!
ReplyDeleteI came late to the party this weekend. Those tree-ducklings (oops, whistling ducklings-- my age is showing) have very distinctive markings. I have never seen one. The bittern is indeed colorful. I am reminded of one I saw along the boardwalk years ago during a visit to Padre Island-- maybe it was in Port Aransas but I cannot find my record (no eBird in those days)!
ReplyDeleteAnni, nice looking Least Bittern. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYour Least Bittern is definitely in top-class condition there Anni. Very beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI struggled to think what species the ducklings might be until you told us. I think I would have guessed wrong - so unlike the parents.
Enjoy your Sunday my friend. It's sunny and warm here - makes a change.
You've captured some great shots of the birds here!
ReplyDeleteHope you'll come link up:
https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/06/pretty-view-in-ladies-loo.html
Very cute ducklings! I hope all is well with you!
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos of the Bittern. And the babies are adorable.
ReplyDeleteThe Bittern is definitely in high breeding colors! I sure hope I see one of those this weekend, at a nearby Refuge that will be having Open Roads! Last time, I saw so many great birds! Oh, and I LOVE those ducklings! Adorable!
ReplyDeleteBlack Bellied Whistling Ducks, those babies are absolutely so beautiful, their markings quite striking and so different from their parents.
ReplyDeleteThe American Bittern is wonderful! I got to see on in Florida two years ago this past February.
I apologize for just commenting. Another sad week, as we laid a dear man to rest, only 46 years young. My daughter and her husby flew in from Florida to spend time with the family.
Have a beautiful week my friend!