Hazel Bazemore Park in the Summer...



Not one, but TWO Crested Caracaras Perched on Power Poles

Then, as I zoomed in on them, I noticed Northern Mockingbirds harassing them both, most likely because of their intrusion of the Mockingbird 'territory'. Soon, a couple of Scissortailed Flycatchers horned in on the action!



CRESTED CARACARA - NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD - SCISSORTAILED FLYCATCHER
photos taken: Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas
habitat maps: Caracara, Mockingbird, Flycatcher


- - -


Also, at the same park, on the same day as I walked the trail, I spotted these very common Texas summer species, among others.  But I didn't add some 'cause I've recently posted other photos of them such as the Black Necked Stilt and the Tri-colored Heron and more....:



WHITE WINGED DOVE
habitat map:  Dove


RED WINGED BLACKBIRD
habitat map:  Blackbird



KILLDEER
habitat map:  Killdeer



MOTTLED DUCK
habitat map:  Duck


SNOWY EGRET
habitat map:  Egret


NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD
habitat map:  Mockingbird



For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:




Now, share your birding experiences:




20 comments:

  1. That is an amazing sequence ... always interesting to watch smaller birds harassing bigger ones , and I have never seen it so well captured on camera.. thank you for sharing that and all your lovely Texas birds. And thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni, wow, that was a fun sequence of photos with the Crested Caracara, Mocker and the Flycatcher. Awesome variety of birds and great photos.
    Thank you for hosting. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a large selection of fancy birds.
    Here in Germany they are not all.
    Today I am happy to also link a post.
    Thanks for this and
    kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed those photos of the mockingbirds harassing the caracara, and then the bonus of two Scissortailed Flycatchers! Also very nice images of the duck, Killdeer and mockingbird. Catching the plumage textures of the blackbird can be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great photos! Lots of birds here in the country but I'm more of a writer than a photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cool to see teh smaller birds behavior when it comes to larger ones :) Great action shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Wow Wow!!! The Caracara by itself is a spectacular bird, but being harassed takes it to a new level! We can really get in on the action and see everything! You did a marvelous job capturing this. My next favorite is your brilliant and beautiful dove photo. Love the shadows and light, the highlighted blue eye, and the orange legs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mockingbirds are fearless! I have seen them dive at Hawks
    Hope you are having a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those Caracaras definitely rule the roost! I love seeing your common birds too. I think we have all of those here in FL but we rarely see the Killdeer here so it's great to see your wonderful photos. I'll be glad when we can get back on the hiking trails. It's too hot right now. We've been watching a hummingbird coming to our flowers today so I can't complain. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning Anni, I do love the Caracara and the Mockingbirds, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent pictures! I like how so many of these have the strip at the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I said before Anni. The caracara is the one bird i would love to see if ever I travel to the US. There's just something rather special about it.

    And I do like the White-winged dove. you really picked out that colourful eye and surroundings. Same with the Killdeer. i didn't realise that they have such a prominent red eye-ring, something you really captured there.

    Did you look up Yelloewhammer. I'm posting more pictures later but sadly can't post the song since Google stopped allowing it. Spoilsports!

    Thanks for the link-up today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Anni. I posted. Enjoy that "little bit of bread and no cheese"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Anni!:) Amazing captures of the Scissortails and Northern Mockingbirds harassing the fine looking Caracara,.. standing it's ground. That last shot of the Caracara and Scissortails in the same frame is great. The pretty White Winged Dove with the blue eye patches is a lovely capture, and I enjoyed seeing what for you are common birds, but for me are most uncommon. Love those Killdeer!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a beautiful white winged dove, i don't think i have ever seen one. and the crested caracaras, gorgeous, another new one for me!! all your captures are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i shared 2 posts, both were pretty good. let me know if that is ok, i thought both were worthy!! the red winged is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pics of the Cara Cara, one of my favorites! I'm always so amazed at the "little" birds harassment of them and other large birds of prey. I see it often here. The mockingbirds and the scissor-tails mostly, as you have shown. Fun to watch! Have a blessed week, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those Crested Cara Cara images are FANTASTIC....what great timing. Funny how all of the little birds always taunt the Birds of Prey, but then again ;). The other bird shares are great as well, especially loved the White Winged Dove. Hoping that you are doing well. I always enjoy your outings. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents