Too Hot for much Birding!


By the time this post is scheduled to publish] Hurricane Harvey has arrived, I probably won't be online for the fact that with dangerous storms like this one, the power will probably go out and I won't have access to my computer and will save the cellphone battery in case of emergencies that may arise. I will visit with you all as soon as possible. The biggest threat as I type this up is extreme amounts of rainfall, but there is always a chance of damage with the winds and temperament of storms like Harvey!!!


Please, continue to link up and visit other birders as usual!


See you when I can....



I've been doing a lot of birding by car because of the triple digit temps lately; through-the-window-photography...most of what follows are along Oceanview Drive near the gates of the Naval Air Station where the bay is on one side of the road and the gulf is on the other side!  Altho the Tropical Kingbird has recently been reported seen in this area for the season, I believe this is the Couch's Kingbird....the only way to tell them apart is by voice; or so I'm told.


KINGBIRD [Couch's?]
photo taken:  Hazel Bazemore Park
habitat map:  Kingbird


RUDDY TURNSTONE
photo taken:  Shoreline near NAS station [Naval Air Station]
habitat map:  Turnstone


BROWN PELICAN
photo taken:  NAS
habitat map:  Pelican


GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken:  NAS
habitat map:  Heron


NEOTROPIC CORMORANT
photo taken:  NAS
habitat map:  Cormorant

I've been hoping against hope to get a photo of the Great Kiskadee's yellow crest.  Rarely is it exposed.  It's like the crest of the cardinal...someday!!!  This was a close one!!!  Partial Crest!!!


GREAT KISKADEE
photos taken:  Hazel Bazemore Park
habitat map:  Kiskadee


I actually walked this area...Pollywog Ponds is a very dense wooded area...lots of shade to keep the hot sun off my back!!


LITTLE GREEN HERON
photo taken:  Pollywog Ponds
habitat map:  Heron


BLACK BELLIED PLOVER
photo taken:  Hans Suter Refuge
habitat map:  Plover


MARBLED GODWIT
photo taken:  NAS
habitat map:  Godwit




For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:






Now share your birding experiences:



21 comments:

  1. My favorites are the Godwit, Plover, and Heron. Oh my! I thought the storm was over and you had posted. I was so happy you are O.K. I have been praying for you! Sending good birding thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos as always Anni! I hope you are doing ok in the storm. I have family and friends in your area, so I have been watching closely. Stay safe my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard of the storm on the news a little while ago, don´t seem good at all. I hope everything turns out well for you.
    All those images from the car? Amazing! Could not be done where I live :(
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you stay safe Anni. Nice group of different birds to share. The GREAT KISKADEE is new to me so I especially enjoyed it. Take care. Keep us posted on your safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You managed some great photos (as always) from your car! Hope you stay safe during the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh fabulous - Ruddy Turnstone and Pelicans are my favorites - but every one of them are fabulous - love the colors and composition. Hope all turns out ok for you in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos!
    Praying for you and all the people along the Texas coast

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched the TV news, saw that Corpus Christi was mentioned and immediately thought of you Anni. Please stay safe. Every one of your pictures in brilliant today. I especially like the Great Kiskadee and the Black-bellied Plover. The plover is our Grey Plover but I never see them as well as that as they are very shy here.

    Thanks for the link-up. See you after the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Anni! I hope you are safe and sound. Sending prayers for Texas. Love all your birds and photos. Great collection of waders and shorebirds.Thanks for hosting.

    Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great car pictures, nonetheless! I was able to ID most of them without looking at the name! I am getting better! Of course, it is because I have also seen some of them myself up here! Ha! Hope that you are safe during the storm, and have minimal damage throughout the state!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos, Anni! Praying for you where you are...we are hearing awful things on the news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni, trust you and your family are safe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Anni,
    Beautiful series of photos of these birds.
    Perfectly photographed, my compliments
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Anni!:) Great series of bird shots, even more remarkable because they were taken through your car window. The yellow bird,..the Great Kiskadee is a beauty, and I enjoyed seeing the Pelicans and your beautiful Heron shots.

    To reiterate, I do hope you are safe, and your home is not damaged. For some reason, I keep thinking about your cellar being flooded by the heavy rainfall,
    and I can't get it out of my mind. I realize you will have taken every precaution to prevent this happening, so I hope your home remains dry and in tact. Thinking of you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forgot to say. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great set of photos again I've been thinking about you , and hopeing you come through the storm without harm, good luck with everthing. Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Anni,
    All weekend long you have been on my mind as well as all of the citizens of this country found in harms way of the path of Hurricane Harvey. I am praying that you and yours are doing well and safe and that your homes and loved ones, friends, pets have made it through safely.
    Blessings and Hugs,
    Mary
    Wonderful to see that you have a book out~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So my heart is so much on your safety that I totally forgot to mention that your bird shares are terrific. About 50% of my birds are photographed from the car window as well...HOT here all Summer, and with high humidity, it is terrible.

      Delete
  18. Great photos. I hope you're doing okay after the Hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni, I pray that you and your family are safe...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents