I've been on a Caribbean Cruise for the last week and a half, just returned to the states this past week, and am a bit exhausted from the fun and beautiful trip!! With all the excursions and ports o' call on the trip, very few birds were spotted. On this trip there was a lot more planned than birding. While visiting an historical sugar cane plantation [1700s], I was lucky enough to sight a Jamaican National bird!! But only for a fleeting moment before it flew off into the dense trees around the main house in the flower/tree gardens. Besides, the tour bus was waiting for me to re-board, so we could all go to lunch! Tourists were getting impatient. lol

SWALLOWTAIL HUMMINGBIRD
aka "Doctor Bird"
photo taken: Good Hope Plantation
JAMAICA'S NATIONAL BIRD
habitat map: found ONLY on the island of Jamaica!!
Throughout the cruise and other port cities, I found a few more birds indigenous to the sea and islands, not seen in Texas. I will get them posted when I can.

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Oh my goodness! If you only saw ONE bird....this would be the one to see! How amazing! Sounds like a fabulous trip! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteAnni...Oh my word. I have heard of these, seen them in books. I'm so happy you saw it in person. Did you happen to notice what that little jewel does with all that TAIL when he flies? It looks like it would make landing etc hard.
ReplyDeleteThank you for letting me know about this sighting.
Hugs Cecilia
Now that was worth the price of the trip! Gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteWhat spectacular feathers!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) Glad you got to see this jewel of a bird in Jamaica. The national bird no less!!! Wow! What a great sighting.
ReplyDeleteA strikingly beautiful hummer! I have never cruised the Caribbean, opting instead for several to Alaska and coastal BC which did provide great nature watching. Love the stained-glass effect of your owls adorned in Easter regalia!
ReplyDeleteAnni, Just Googled why the Doctor bird is so called, ..interesting, and saw a video clip showing it's fabulous iridescent colours. I can see why it is known as the gem of Jamaican ornithology,...and you actually saw it. Have a happy Easter Weekend.:)
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, what a great sighting. Love those feathers, it is a beautiful bird. Happy Easter! Enjoy your day and new week ahead!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back Anni. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your cruise to the Windies. Happy Easter
ReplyDeletesuch a great trip you were on. Love the "Doctor bird" and wished I had seen it too :)
ReplyDeleteAmazing bird!
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter!
it is a beautiful bird, looking so iridescent!!!
ReplyDeletesounds like a wonderful trip...i hope when you are rested you can share the details!!
love you new header, the colors are so pretty!!
Lucky lucky you! About the trip AND the hummer sighting! Wow!
ReplyDeleteAnni, Welcome Back! Great capture of Jamaica’s National Bird. Thanks for sharing. Happy Easter!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a beauty! Sure wish those pesky tourists had not been so impatient! I am SURE they were not starved! Gee whiz! Thanks for sharing... so exciting to see! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteWhat an exquisite bird, Anni!!!! Thank YOU...:)JP
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful bird really a beauty.
Best regards, Irma
What a stunning, gorgeous bird!!! Woosh
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness what a bird. I love it. Yesterday John said he saw an unusual bird drinking from our hummingbird feeder. I'm wondering if he was seeing things. If it's real I hope I see it soon.
ReplyDelete