Naturally, being a bit obsessed with the outcome of the Killdeer nest I located, the past Sunday morning, going out to beat the heat of the day, I drove to Pollywog Ponds. As I got out of the car, the two adult killdeer began screeching - I knew the day had come!!! It parked a great distance from the nesting area so not to disturb their surroundings and mama and papa tried to steer me away from the nest location. It worked like a charm! I followed them to the gate that takes you into the wooded area of the ponds! I thought the chicks had hatched and were in the tall grasses, hidden. Nope. No chicks. I looked hither and yon...still no chicks. And the parents had settled down somewhat. I slowly walked the edge of the stone wall toward the nest location. That's when the mama bird began her warning ruckus again. As I neared the spot where the eggs were laid, she landed ever so closely and played wounded for distraction...it worked again...I had to stop and chart this activity...



Then, from where I stood, I turned slightly and focused the camera lens on the nest. One egg left and TWO chicks had hatched. I was wondering if they were alive. They didn't move a muscle as I watched through the lens, zooming in for a closer view. Surely if they were stillborn, mama would have booted 'em out. On closer viewing, once I got their heads focused for a photo op, I noticed their eyes were open...

...zooming in:


...then, as I walked back to the car parked far away to not disturb the family any longer than I already had, I glanced over my shoulder and she was bidding me adieu as the priority of parenting was most important!!

KILLDEER 'n' chicks
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds
habitat map: Killdeer

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Great news Anni to see two youngsters nest at the nest site.
ReplyDeleteHappy birding!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos!
I have read that Killdeer chicks are much stronger than other bird babies, and are ready to leave the nest soon after hatching.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hello, the Killdeers are so cute. I love the sweet chicks. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend.
ReplyDeleteThis is so special! We have a ton of killdeers down here at the ranch and last year found a nest with three tiny eggs up close to the gate in the gravel. You could hardly see it for the camouflage! Never saw the chicks, though. I love all your beautiful photos. With my not so good eyesight - visiting you and seeing your photos is actually better than seeing it in person!
ReplyDeleteThose babies don't even look real! How precious they are and how nice you got to see them newly born. There's nothing better than seeing new life and being able to photograph it. Thank goodness for zoom lens! Enjoy your afternoon!
ReplyDeletehow wonderful :) Loved to hear all about it. It seem common among birds to play injured to save the young. It is quite fun to watch even if it is serious business. Hopefully next time you visit you see three chicks :)
ReplyDeleteUPDATE (6/16/18, 6 pm): I talked to Ginny about an hour ago and she asks that everyone say some extra prayers for her... She did come through surgery fine --- but she now has some uncontrollable bleeding and they haven't found where it is coming from yet. They are putting her in ICU tonight --and will run some tests searching for where the blood loss is coming from. Continued prayers for Ginny. Please pass this info on to other friends of Ginny --both on Blogger and Facebook. Thank You, and God Bless our friend, Ginny Hartzler.
ReplyDeleteour baby killdeers shortly after hatching they are with mom and daddy down by the pond, looking for something to eat, mama and daddy still protect them by acting like they are injured to protect the babies
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet little family!
ReplyDeleteIt's neat to see this!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of the young birds in the nest.
Good that you did not disturb it.
Best regards, Irma
That's a really informative sequence of pictures Anni. Many is the time plovers and other waders have done that to me and it takes some skill to locate a nest like you did. If you had rings (bands) with you you could have marked those chicks and provided potential information for their later lives.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to observe the miracle of the birth of these beautiful birds!!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos !!
Happy weekend !
What fun! You got some great shots of the fakers. :) The babies are so cute. I found a Killdeer nest last spring, but my pics are not nearly as nice as these. Have a wonderful day!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful you were able to go back and see the chicks! Those chicks look so cute & fuzzy. Great pictures.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful creatures.
How exciting and wonderful, Anni! You were there at exactly the right time! Great photos!
ReplyDelete